The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I love Petey but when he is focused on he struggles. He is still unstable on his feet and is very slightly built. Will he be durable. We can't get too attached to player right now. A skilled 6'3" center is very hard to find.

petey is 6’2  he can put muscle on hes  a ppg player other  that 6 games this yr  its a slump    your crazy if u  dubois is a better player 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

petey is 6’2  he can put muscle on hes  a ppg player other  that 6 games this yr  its a slump    your crazy if u  dubois is a better player 

I think Dubois is as good as Petey. He has a different skill set. I think he is more like Bo.  He brings a physical edge and at 218lb. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I love Petey but when he is focused on he struggles. He is still unstable on his feet and is very slightly built. Will he be durable. We can't get too attached to player right now. A skilled 6'3" center is very hard to find.

Not sure what you're talking about regarding struggling under pressure. He seemed to do just fine in last year's playoffs. 18 points in 17 games. Don't know what's bothering him now, but he'll bounce back. He hates losing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

Very little evidence that EP “can put muscle on” at this point. Love him as a player and person, but going into this, his third season, he is still 176lbs. It’s an issue. He’s got tons of jam, and doesn’t shy away from anything but when a solid D-man hits him, Petey gets knocked about quite noticeably.

Also, been thinking about the team today and I’m also starting to truly realize what the difference between excellent goaltending (Marky) and average goaltending (current duo) can mean in terms of wins and losses. Between getting shutout by Markstrom, Tanev putting on a shot blocking clinic against us, and Toffoli singlehandedly destroying us....not much fun to be had in Canuckville right now. 

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Very little evidence that EP “can put muscle on” at this point. Love him as a player and person, but going into this, his third season, he is still 176lbs. It’s an issue. He’s got tons of jam, and doesn’t shy away from anything but when a solid D-man hits him, Petey gets knocked about quite noticeably.

Also, been thinking about the team today and I’m also starting to truly realize what the difference between excellent goaltending (Marky) and average goaltending (current duo) can mean in terms of wins and losses. Between getting shutout by Markstrom, Tanev putting on a shot blocking clinic against us, and Toffoli singlehandedly destroying us....not much fun to be had in Canuckville right now. 

I think it is really hard to evaluate our goaltending with the way our defense has played. The goal tending has been hung out to dry. Demko was outstanding in last years playoffs. Better then Marky. Under pressure Demko was outstanding.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I think the Canucks best chance now with the personnel is to play a trap style and hope for the goals on the PP like the old Devils team

They have to cut down on goals, especially with a unproven d right now

Highly unlikely that Bumgardener will be able to apply your sensible approach. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, thrago said:

Hopefully we are like the Avs, who were at the bottom of the league for years made it to the playoffs and were back at the bottom of the standings the next year, and haven't looked back since.

Maybe. If this team ends up at the bottom of the standings this season, I can’t see a scenario where a complete cleaning of house doesn’t occur. At this point, I’m for anything as long as the team plays with some fire and passion every night, win or lose. The gutless team effort yesterday is embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Pretty spot for on. The Canucks were outplayed and outshot more often than not last season and the defensive breakdowns have been an ongoing issue for years. The system and structure this team abides to is bad and was masked by stellar goaltending last season. There is no arguing or denying this. The team regularly comes out flat and never seems to dictate the pace of the game nor set the tone early. That being said, and it’s been mentioned plenty before, the team realistically only has 4 and a half (Pearson is a fringe top 6) players in the top 6 and a plethora of horrible contracts tied up in places they shouldn’t be. The team is currently treading water until they can cut bait with the deadweight and really start building a contending team. Also, they need a coach to implement a solid defensive strategy to play to the teams strengths given the personnel they have. I don’t believe Green and Co are capable of that because they haven’t been able to since they got here. 

Hmmm.   Except some evidence shows that we can win games and don’t need stellar goaltending to do it either do we? Markstrom had one excellent game in the playoffs - the rest were just good.   Demko had three exceptional games and nobody is debating we deserved to win.   Horvat scored 10 goals and was a total boss.   QHs set rookie records and team records... EP was over a PGP player...yes what a complete hot mess.  

Nobody is denying we need good goaltending to win games - same goes for 95% of the rest of the league too.

For newer fans I hate to say - you just witnessed the fourth best run in club history.   But go ahead - flame away.   In a couple decades I’m sure you will be pining for the good old days too.   With BB, QHs, EP, Horvat, Miller plus plus plus plus.   

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I was just looking at the cap hit for the two. They would have to clear space.  Benning wanted Dubois big time at the draft. He is a big boy.

He wanted him because because there was a trade in place with Montreal had he dropped. It would have Been the fifth and Horvat for Subban

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

well it only took a couple years to see a trade petey post.  5 game slump and your outta here kid.

Not really a trade Petey thread. LOL   It certainly gets people talking. The only reason I threw this out there is because Jimbo was really big on Dubois at the draft. Petey will be fine but Dubois is not chopped liver. He is a very skilled forward and at 22 the same as Petey he has a ton of upside.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Highly unlikely that Bumgardener will be able to apply your sensible approach. 

One look at the pesky Sens structure from their last playoff run, and Baumer was like - "But the goalie has to stop the puck behind his net"

And the idea was squashed forever.

(I'm not advocating for the trap. It's boring af, but it is effective)

• Cheers 1