The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Lol at the "must win" and "must sweep" commentary. I guess we need to win the rest of the games of the season now or we won't clinch a playoff spot.

Every game is a 4 point game and the swings will be crazy. Streaks are going to be amplified this year, but there could be a lot of swings this season.

Take a deep breath, nothing to panic about yet. We want to play better and win for sure, but we are certainly not at the stage where some believe we are.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I like those two 'bottom six' lines when EP in particular is struggling to produce.

First - they'll be able to continue to provide him lots of opportunities with that many effective shutdown options (and should generate a decent amount of ozone starts) and second, they should give up less in the process, reducing the pressure on EP and Hughes to produce....

Not sure about the Hughes/Benn pairing - but we're already down to #5RHD with Hamonic and Chatfield injured - so at least they have a veteran element in Benn (and I suspect Myers or Schmidt will see their share of minutes with Hughes)... I thought Benn played alright the other night, considering he apparently recovered from Covid and was jumping into an already challenging situation (hadn't played in a while...)

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Nah I understood it. Marky did the same thing. In 2-3 years he went from terrible to good. Demko’s even shown more at the same age than Marky had. 

Yes I totally agree with all of that. And none of what I am saying is related to the current "slump" of the team. I am talking about in a year or two's time when we seriously want to be contending.

My original question was "who is the goalie of our current core"? Is it Demko? I hope so. I have been a keen supporter of his for years now. But if he can't demonstrate he can be a #1 goalie this season (in a bigger sample size than the 4 games he played in last year's playoffs) then where does it leave us? The team is not in the same situation as when Marky was developing for 2-3 years. Ideally we need a #1 to emerge by the end of this season.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Lol at the "must win" and "must sweep" commentary. I guess we need to win the rest of the games of the season now or we won't clinch a playoff spot.

Every game is a 4 point game and the swings will be crazy. Streaks are going to be amplified this year, but there could be a lot of swings this season.

Take a deep breath, nothing to panic about yet. We want to play better and win for sure, but we are certainly not at the stage where some believe we are.

Very much agree about the possible swings. In this condensed schedule it would only take one or two key injuries to possibly toast a shot at the playoffs. As an example if either McD or Draisaitl were to get injured and out for any length of time; Edmonton's playoff chances would be slim to none. This is likely true for most NHL teams this year.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

nice crystal ball work - but suggesting any particular single series will define their season is difficult to take seriously.

Calgary has always been a main opponent and a 4 game series should get pretty intense by the end, either the Canucks will walk away full of confidence or be beat down and demoralized so I predict after this series we will seriously slump or jump in the standings.

1 hour ago, Bo Dega said:

That backhander from Sutter deserves more praise, it was brilliant. 

Cut the team some slack, they have`nt played for months and suddenly their schedule is brutal. They`ll pick it up.

Now is a good time.

wow sportsnet didnt even clip it lol, that was a pretty sick goal, Mcdavid or matthews did that goal, be on repeat for the whole season.
EDIT: Nvm its on there, just didnt dig deep enough for some reason thought he did that last game.

Edited by TNucks1

1 hour ago, runtzguy said:

If we only win 1 out 3 games against the Senators this week. Benning needs to start selling Schmidt, Myers, and Benn for picks.

Schmidt has been impossibly mediocre so far. 
He’s looked more like Derrick Pouliot than a top-pairing defenseman. 

47 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Nah I understood it. Marky did the same thing. In 2-3 years he went from terrible to good. Demko’s even shown more at the same age than Marky had. 

To go even further, Hasek wasn’t a starter until 30, Tim Tomas wasn’t a starter until 32. Goalies are so unpredictable though. So many have just fallen off the face of the earth after promising trajectories. Like Rayzor and Carey.