The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I am astonished by Hoglander's play. 

We've been spoiled with Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser in their rookie season but Hogs has completely caught me by surprise. 

This kid can do it all. He's a great skater and has ridiculous puck skills and already trying and accomplishing super high end moves as a rookie. 

On top of that, his fore checking is tenacious despite his size. He will hit, he will out position you, he will do whatever he needs to do to come out with the puck. His hockey IQ is super high. I knew he had skills but didn't know he had such a well rounded game and wasn't sure how it would translate into the NHL (especially as a rookie) 

He's definitely not a passenger on his line and is a direct contributor. 

He plays the right way and is a bonafide NHLer. 

The fact we got him in the 2nd round and we are awaiting our first rounder to arrive in April is crazy. 

He's currently 3rd in rookie scoring. While 1 guy ahead of him is a 23 year old and the other was a 2018 draft. 

The Canucks are starting to warm up and if Bo's line goes, he should continue to put up points and perhaps at a higher rate. 

That's be insane to have 4 rookie of the year finalists in a row. 

Guys like Hoglander and Podz are ones you need to win in the playoffs, they create space for the star players,  The fact that we picked 2 of them 30 spots apart in the same draft is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Love it for now, but why does it feel like they're the only team playing so much hockey so soon

Because they are?

Toronto and Edmonton have played 9 games, everybody else at 8 or less.

Carolina, Florida and Dallas with 4 games played; plenty of games in hand

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also I do like Chatfield but what has he done better than Juolevi to have people say he should stay in the line up?

I feel like Juolevi had more poise while Chatfield had more energy

They have different styles of play but there were numerous times yesterday when cHatfield bobbled the puck or failed to get it out which might have cost some goals against better teams. I would like for the Canucks to continue rotating them and get both of them game time along with practice time.

Simply put, you don't F with a winning streak.  Our D has been atrocious up until the past few games, but if this mix works, you run with until it doesn't.  Juolevi will get his time, he has looked good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BCNate said:

Simply put, you don't F with a winning streak.  Our D has been atrocious up until the past few games, but if this mix works, you run with until it doesn't.  Juolevi will get his time, he has looked good.

If you don't mess with a win, why did they sit Juolevi after a win?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the initial eye test for the Tkachuks (Matthew and Brady) is "amazing picks, going to be incredibly competitive". But they're both so undisciplined, make donkeys of themselves and cross the line often. How long a career will they have, taking beatings like that, every other night? I don't think they're talented or skilled enough, and need to rely on antics to be affective. Reminds me of Sean Avery.

Great pass on Matthew IMO. His own team mates probably dislike him. 

Brady wasn't noticable until his tantrum at the end. They picked him over Hughes. 

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I think the plan was to alternate, but once Chatfield and Benn were in the lineup together, things looked like they clicked much better.

It is going ok with those guys. It just seems strange to break the conventional thinking and adjust a winning line-up.

Should there not be outrage that Travis is flouting conventional wisdom and risking the ire of the hockey gods? :shock:::D

10 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Those are 4 of my all time favs! 

I'm sure my memory exaggerates this a bit, but I seem to remember Skriko scoring a goal after splitting the defense at the blueline.  There was contact with both players, and it was almost like he flipped back onto his skates on to a breakaway.  Just awesome, regardless.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is going ok with those guys. It just seems strange to break the conventional thinking and adjust a winning line-up.

Should there not be outrage that Travis is flouting conventional wisdom and risking the ire of the hockey gods? :shock:::D

That's why he's the coach and 'we're' online observers... until we fire him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you don't mess with a win, why did they sit Juolevi after a win?

Ask the coach.

The 2 rookies Dmen will probably alternate allot this hectic season, injuries will inevitably happen, and returning from injury  Hamonic will most likely bump both rookies 

Benn has been solid, steady and dependable so far, not overly surprised, but great for the team.

Go Canucks go 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Shhhhhhh, if we upset them, we will have to offer another sacrifice. There is only so many veterans on this team. :frantic:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't.  Both have been good, but Chatfield is more ready.  For Juolevi, I think getting a game or two a week and a ton of practice time will work well for him.  Benn's play with Hughes has been enough to keep him in the lineup, and Chatfield brings a physical element that we need as well.  I hope he stays in over Hamonic for a while (once Hamonic is back).

All good points for sure Nat

IMHO when Hamonic returns the 2 rookie Dmen will be watching practicing and waiting for an injury 

5 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

All good points for sure Nat

IMHO when Hamonic returns the 2 rookie Dmen will be watching practicing and waiting for an injury 

I tend to agree with you.  I think once Hamonic is cleared, he will be given some practice time, then slot in as our #6.  

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Benn

Hamonic Myers

That is pretty solid.  Chafield and Juolevi can both tag off when needed.  Having 8 capable D is going to come in handy during the condensed season.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Wait till Jake gets a taste of playoff hockey as well, oh wait?

I was saying that until I saw his playoffs last year lol. 

Whole season, I was like, wait til they put away the whistle and watch Jake play his game lol... 

Now he's in the press box... 

• Cheers 1