The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah I’m not ok with a JV for Bennett trade straight up. Basically a project for a project. JV is probably gonna go on a little bit of a tear at some point maybe that’s when you trade him but right now I’d rather see a pick back or a prospect. A trade like you mentioned might work as well.

Don’t buy the playoff performance stuff. Don’t remember the flames doing much in the playoffs .

Virtanen has always been streaky in his play and his efforts.

No point trading him when he’s a healthy scratch. If Benning wants to trade him we’re better off getting him going first and getting something that will actually help us at the deadline.

With Podz coming over in April and Hawryluk coming back and providing some grit, I don’t really see a need for a forward. Especially one that can’t score:

We need depth on D. Injuries to Edler and Hamonic proved we can be in trouble in a hurry. Another young guy to go along with Chatfield and Juolevi couldn’t hurt.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They said this during the broadcast earlier too...where there's smoke there's fire.

Posted it in the GDT....I'd be for it.  Change of scenery might do both players good.

Bennett is a center Virtanen is a winger makes no sense for Cal to make the trade straight up so what else are you willing to give up.

Then the problem would be that Bennett would be behind both Petey and Horvat. That's his current problem now he is behind 2 centers. how long before he wants a trade from Van.

Where does that put Gaud. Gaud doesn't want to be traded out. So now Benning will have to move Gaud out and have a new guy complaining about his mins. Then Bennett asks for a trade and we end up with what at 3rd line center. Plus what does Bennett do to the Chemistry in the room.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Virtanen playing with Bennett sounds interesting until they are both due raises lol. 

I'm  wondering of Gaudette would be a piece Jim would move for him. If calgary would even be interested in such a swap.

Their center depth is Lindholm, Monahan, Backlund, and Derek Ryan (according to dailyfaceoff). They don't want Gaudette unless they convert him to full time RW. But Green seems to think Gaudette is best at center and I wonder if that's also Gaudette's preference. So I dunno. Looking at their RW depth they might value Gaudette, assuming he is willing to play wing, or Virtanen. Mangiapane is listed as their 2nd line RWer and but he is also listed as LW on HockeyReferece. Virtanen also has a decent amount more offensive upside than Mangiapane. They can replace Bennett's hole on the 3rd line with Mangiapane and replace Mangiapane's spot in the top 6 with Virtanen/Gaudette/Leivo.

There is a lot of merit to this trade working for Calgary. Only question is how much do we, or I guess management, really care for a somewhat undesciplined Bennett? He's a dog and has some snarl to his game. Good bottom 6 kit. But he takes bad penalties and his offense is every bit as streaky as Virtanen's. Also we dunno if he wants more top 6 time. Is he more deserving or even a better option than Pearson or Hoglander? Hard no on passing Hoglander. Pearson is debatable. He has chemistry with Bo even though Pearson has been pretty meh so far.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It does make too much sense. Calgary needs a RW.

We need a C, and Bennett can also play wing if we ever want to put him w/ Horvat or Petey.

Also plays with an edge & has been great in the playoffs. 

On paper yes but would either team want to trade with a division rival?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Only way I trade Jake is if we acquire a decent young D man in return. Something along the lines of  Virtanen and a 2nd for Dunn.

I'd prefer getting a defenseman who can actually play defense.  Dunn is absolutely dreadful and comparable to Pouliot in his own end.  We're better off playing our own kids instead of that pylon.

I don't like the idea of trading Virtanen to CGY, especially for underperformer Sam Bennett. Why take the chance that Jake will suddenly get it (be engaged physically), learning from Lucic and Tkachuk? Trade Jake to the east.

but maybe I don't know anything either, just for fun...

to CGY:  Virtanen and Eriksson

to VAN: Bennett and Lucic

VAN bottom 6

Lucic - Bennett - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Roussel

Gaudette

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

I thought we were past the point of fawning over other teams castaways.

Virtanen is arguably better than Bennett too. You don’t think Flames fans have the same issues with Bennett? He was an even higher pick.

Only way I trade Jake is if we acquire a decent young D man in return. Something along the lines of  Virtanen and a 2nd for Dunn.

Yikes - is Dunn ever over-rated in here.  Awful deal for us.  Not sure why/how/where people think Dunn improves this team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't like the idea of trading Virtanen to CGY, especially for underperformer Sam Bennett. Why take the chance that Jake will suddenly get it (be engaged physically), learning from Lucic and Tkachuk? Trade Jake to the east.

but maybe I don't know anything either, just for fun...

to CGY:  Virtanen and Eriksson

to VAN: Bennett and Lucic

VAN bottom 6

Lucic - Bennett - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Roussel

Gaudette

Hard no on Luciic, his character issues, and his longer contract.  Keep that piece of garbage in Calgary  where he belongs, along with the rest of that gutless hockey team.  Might as well just send LE down to the AHL once the season starts and if he doesn't retire at the end of the year, we can buy him out if we need to.  Lucic is simply not welcome here.

Edited by King Heffy

It was a just for fun idea, and I know the Canucks struggled in the playoffs to get anything going from their bottom  6.

Virtanen - (2G 1A) 3 pts in 16 games

Lucic - (1G 5A) 6 pts in 10 games

Bennett - (5G 3A) 8 pts in 10 games

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Not arguing with you but I keep hearing he wants a tol six role. Is this been made public, or just assumed?

It's all good. Check out this recent article that talks about how Bennett wants more opportunity to play in a top 6 role somewhere.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/hockey/gilbertson-flames-forward-bennett-reportedly-wants-out-now-what-547170/

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

It's all good. Check out this recent article that talks about how Bennett wants more opportunity to play in a top 6 role somewhere.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/hockey/gilbertson-flames-forward-bennett-reportedly-wants-out-now-what-547170/

he wants to be gifted a top 6 role? uhm if thats the case we dont have any room for him.