The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Don't get why we hired this guy in the first place. 

Travis Green AHL record: 155-110 (50% win %)

Jon Cooper AHL record: 133-62 (70% win. %)

I think an insecure manager finds a not too powerful coach, lest  the coach usrps the not too secure managers job

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

For Gillis to use a compliance buyout on Luongo, Aquilini would have had to write a ~$27 million (2013) or ~$23 million (2014) cheque. You think that was in any way realistic? "Easy out" my behind. And before you say "well then Gillis shouldn't have signed that contract in the first place"...

It's a tough conversation, but making a stupid trade because you couldn't convince the owner to make the sensible decision isn't what good managers do.  Many other GMs had that conversation with their owners and made the correct choice.  Instead of deciding to destroy the team's future, Gillis could have quit and saved his chances of ever being employed again.  It takes balls to do the right thing, and Gillis clearly didn't have them. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Two good years of Markstrom isn't worth the risk of destroying our cap structure with a Luongo contract.  That trade alone is reason enough for us to hope another owner is stupid enough to hire Gillis.

"Destroying our cap structure" - You mean the measely 3 million he's owed on our cap now? Which was retroactively added.

Or do u mean the bargain 5.3 million he signed for at the time?

Look, I agree with not being happy after a performance like that. But, there's a fine line between not being happy and totally ripping the team apart or digging in every opportunity to tear a player or coach apart. Obviously there are things that aren't working, but some people don't know where to draw the line. I suppose for me, it just gets too much where it gets too personal for some posters. I hate losing just as much as the next person.

21 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Spoke too soon :ph34r:

Very naive Travis Green it's like in epl struggling Arsenal wins against relegation teams like Sheffield United and saying were back in form were back, ma boys are back, real good real solid lol. Only to come back to reality up against Man City or Liverpool to lose 6-2. Green is a very simple coach no wonder..

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Look, I agree with not being happy after a performance like that. But, there's a fine line between not being happy and totally ripping the team apart or digging in every opportunity to tear a player or coach apart. Obviously there are things that aren't working, but some people don't know where to draw the line. I suppose for me, it just gets too much where it gets too personal for some posters. I hate losing just as much as the next person.

I agree ... all the blame should go to Benning not Green nor the players

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's a tough conversation, but making a stupid trade because you couldn't convince the owner to make the sensible decision isn't what good managers do.  Many other GMs had that conversation with their owners and made the correct choice.  Instead of deciding to destroy the team's future, Gillis could have quit and saved his chances of ever being employed again.  It takes balls to do the right thing, and Gillis clearly didn't have them. 

C'mon Heff. This is argument is detached from reality.

What was the difference between Lu going in 2013 & Lu going in 2014??? Our ownership retaining salary.

There was no chance in hell Aqua was ever buying out Luongo, whether it was Mike Gillis or Sam Pollock telling him to do it. They were going to deal Schneider for pucks before that happened.

The jealous Toronto media CARVED the Canucks for 2 years over that situation. No one wanted Lu, we were going to be lucky to give Lu away for nothing (I had heard), and Gillis ended up pulling off a very good trade.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

C'mon Heff. This is argument is detached from reality.

What was the difference between Lu going in 2013 & Lu going in 2014??? Our ownership retaining salary.

There was no chance in hell Aqua was ever buying out Luongo, whether it was Mike Gillis or Sam Pollock telling him to do it. They were going to deal Schneider for pucks before that happened.

The jealous Toronto media CARVED the Canucks for 2 years over that situation. No one wanted Lu, we were going to be lucky to give Lu away for nothing (I had heard), and Gillis ended up pulling off a very good trade.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I didn't think the trade was acceptable at the time and I still don't.  I would have terminated Gillis on the spot for even suggesting it.

A win or even a better performance would have cemented the start of the year to a confidence issue. Instead we follow up our best game of the year with probably our worst.

2nd most goals against and 1st in most goals for in the league right now. Too inconsistent. We're pretty much playing like the Leafs usually do.

Schedules rough too. We play a series vs the Leafs and Flames after this one.

Canucks need to show that they're better next game. I'd like a win in MTL but at this point I just want a better product on the ice. Need to see positive progress.

I honestly don't understand how Green & the coaching staff justify allowing so many shots on goal each game. There is an obvious correlation of scoring chances arising with the amount of pucks directed to the net. Makes no sense how they are openly overlooking such a glaring problem which is killing us game after game. 

The defensive "system", if we even have one, is clearly not working, and it has been like this for longer than we realize. We just don't have Marky anymore saving the day with 5-6 miraculous saves a game. There needs to be a serious consideration of a coaching change right now. If not Green, then Baumer for sure because what we have is statistically the worse defense in the NHL right now. 

6 hours ago, drdeath said:

I think we might be in a spot of trouble if we match up with Montreal in the playoffs.

We won't be making the playoffs unless we play our last 40 games against Ottawa.  That's about the most adversity this team can handle without disintegration under our current system that our prestigious coaching staff taught them.

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

He is no proven winner like Julien

we need that type of coach to get to the next level 

we don’t have time for our coach to learn on the job 

Don't worry, Green will NOT be the one to take this team to the promised land.  I've said it since he arrived here, that he purely an INTERIM COACH to get us thru the transition from the old team to the new..  We're almost there.  Two more years and $40M+ of deadwood contracts come off the books and rest assured Green will not be around to see the team move into contention.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thing is, if the coaching staff ends up being canned at the end of this pandemiseason, Benning will go down with the ship. 

That is very, very likely to happen unless they turn things around and very soon.  (25% of the season is over already !!!)  Clock is winding down for the entire coaching staff .

Honestly, I would love it if guys like Sami Salo, Mattias Ohlund were a part of this coaching team. Maybe we'd know how to play defence.

Having said that, The guys have a real hard schedule so let's cut them a break.

Also having said that, Baumer, Really?

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1