The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes do we need him, hear me out

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

17 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Did Tanev hid his flaws, I say yes.  minus 12 as of today.

Did he drop to 7th where Benning was a sucker to pick him. I say yes. If Benning had not taken him he would have drop to 8th and who knows where he would have landed

If Hughes creates 10 goals but causes 20 does the math add up. Did Tanev protect the Canucks from Hughes mistake. I say yes. Tanev is that responsible with and without the puck.

Can a small Defenseman play defense few and far between. Is Hughes one of them? I say NO.

Can Benning acquire a new Tanev. I say hell no. Benning can not make a trade for the life of this team never mind find a new Tanev. Hamonic is no Tanev

Which leads to the real question can we afford to keep Hughes as a defensive liability and at the ridiculous cost he can command. I say NO. 

Sell now well his price is high or feel the Wrath of his future contract for years to come. 

Tanev is not the reason we are playing this bad...Its the whole team nobody is playing good,....No grit teams just walk around us, no urgency, just awful hockey, bad plays, poor goalies...

If you guys think Eriksson contract is bad HA

Eriksson was signed when they sucked 

What if Hughes signs long term and he is a bust.

You will all blame Benning and yet will have all been for it. You will all forget this post was ever made and think no one saw it coming

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Tanev is not the reason we are playing this bad...Its the whole team nobody is playing good,....No grit teams just walk around us, no urgency, just awful hockey, bad plays, poor goalies...

Are QB sucks

Our QB has no Tanev therefore, one could reason not having Tanev could be the issue. Our QB had Tanev last year and he had no issues

It is just like in NFL QBs do not fair so well with centers they are not use to

Edited by Arrow 1983

If Tanev can help cover Hughes weaknesses and allow Hughes to focus on his strengths, then there will be another defenceman that can do the same. Tanev was a great player for us but he is no god. 

The problem is that we don't have such defenceman on the roster at the moment.

I think we need to possess the puck more for Hughes to shine.

With the way we let the other team gain the blue line with ease, that makes the job of defending way harder including Hughes.

QH has weaknesses but he will improve; in fact, now that his weaknesses are out in the open, we should be able to sign him to a reasonable bridge deal.

The right question to ask is not whether we need QH but whether JB the right man to build the team moving forward.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

The new Burrows do we really need him thread? 

I used the same title 

The Difference This one is not going turn out as fun as that one 

even if Burrows had sucked he was making 2 mill a year

If I am right and I really do feel I am this team will never have success with an anchor of a contract that Hughes can command especially in a flat cap era  

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

another interesting side not even with Tanev, Hughes was minus 10 Tanev was Plus 4

lol put tanev on this current team right now playing the way they are not giving a f*k and all the giveaway by miller petey etc he'll be just as bad.. put hughes on calgary he'll be at worse a +/- 0

45 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Did he drop to 7th where Benning was a sucker to pick him. I say yes. If Benning had not taken him he would have drop to 8th and who knows where he would have landed

If Hughes creates 10 goals but causes 20 does the math add up. Did Tanev protect the Canucks from Hughes mistake. I say yes. Tanev is that responsible with and without the puck.

Can a small Defenseman play defense few and far between. Is Hughes one of them? I say NO.

Can Benning acquire a new Tanev. I say hell no. Benning can not make a trade for the life of this team never mind find a new Tanev. Hamonic is no Tanev

Which leads to the real question can we afford to keep Hughes as a defensive liability and at the ridiculous cost he can command. I say NO. 

Sell now well his price is high or feel the Wrath of his future contract for years to come. 

Been saying it since day 1.  Hughes isnt a true number one.  Fans are so desperate to see a number 1 dman here they convinced themselves that he could be one.  If this team is going anywhere, they need to develop a true number 1 dman that can do more than just pass the puck.  

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol put tanev on this current team right now playing the way they are not giving a f*k and all the giveaway by miller petey etc he'll be just as bad.. put hughes on calgary he'll be at worse a +/- 0

are you saying replace Tanev with Hughes or on the same team.

Same team and we go back the the way it was prior to covid mediocrity

Tanev by himself the team is worse without Hughes offense but better Defensively 

Hughes on Cal without Tanev Cal way worse do you see Cal defensive numbers there is no way they could cover Hughes mistakes 

53 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You do not trade talented young men like Hughes without exhausting every avenue.

It is not even close to being that time.

Stupid does not even remotely define what this post is!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Been saying it since day 1.  Hughes isnt a true number one.  Fans are so desperate to see a number 1 dman here they convinced themselves that he could be one.  If this team is going anywhere, they need to develop a true number 1 dman that can do more than just pass the puck.  

yes peoples perceptions do get in the way