The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

44 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Juolevi is quietly showing what he can do the last few games. Looked very poised tonight, shot a few lasers from the point that just missed the mark. He's getting better as the season is going

I loved how he hit Ketchup. Showed him that he was the better pick :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Watched it start to finish, Jake played soft in both ends and looked lazy, he does everything at half speed. He plays on a team where a 20-year-old second round pick has passed him up by playing the right way. With his gifts, if Jake just played 75% as hard as Hoglander, he would be a star.

The whole team played like stars tonight even Lucky Loui  but I have to agree with you that Lazy Jake was useless again tonight and is the only player that played in tonight's game that should do a hundred push-ups and be bag skated at next practice and benched again - next game.  Good job Nucks - you guys rocked tonight !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jake did worse than that. Like  throwing the puck away into the corner when he had passing options or giving up on a puck battle as soon as he was under pressure and just skated away.  I've been an ardent JV supporter from day 1 but I think I've finally seen enough. The team isn't any better with him on the ice, its time for him to go.

Yea, you're in good company because the majority of folks on here have come to the same conclusion on Lazy Jake that he's a floater and has no fire burning in his belly.   Best thing for him is to get outta town as I'm afraid he's washed-up around here.   Too bad because we all hoped we'd see better from him.  Sad situation really!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

newsflash - defensemen get injured whether their name is Tanev or not.

I'm guessing you've paid attention to this franchise long enough to realize that.

If that's what you reduce your assessment of a player to - you have the wrong principal factors in mind.  Unless those injuries result in decline, then you're dwelling too much on it.

I love what Tanev brought the guy is a warrior.

He's also averaged around 60 games a season due to what makes him most effective, also puts him in bad positions to break a bone.

Hopefully, the equipment changes help, tho the last reg season game he was injured and it would have been season-ending had Covid not happened.

So I get why people think the way they do, we would have been without him for a must-win stretch of games and most of the playoffs.

His injuries have never been chronic so that's good but he's  the type that seems to break bones easier than most.

Maybe not a reason to not sign long-term but at the same time can't ignore he misses 15-20 games almost every single year. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You guys like Hoglander.  He was only the 2nd round pick that year.  Wait until the 1st round pick of 2019 shows up.  Oh boy...

Honestly, I’ve lost count at how many studs Benning has drafted over the last 7 years.  Imagine if Gillis had actually left him with something, anything?  The cupboard was completely bare when Benning arrived.  Yes, it took all of those 7 years to actually acquire enough talent to fill an entire roster.  Looks like we may actually have a full roster of young talent in the next year or two.  

Juolevi is like found money... Hogs is better than any of us expected (even myself ^_^).  And yes... He's almost here folks.  Just in time for the last push to make the playoffs.  Podz will step right in to bottom 6 and really deepen our roster.  excellent GIF

We'll be a dark horse like last year if we can make playoffs!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The whole team played like stars tonight even Lucky Loui  but I have to agree with you that Lazy Jake was useless again tonight and is the only player that played in tonight's game that should do a hundred push-ups and be bag skated at next practice and benched again - next game.  Good job Nucks - you guys rocked tonight !

Jake was so so tonight, I was suprised they put him out there in the last 4 minutes of the game, he did cause a turnover though on a somewhat crucial part of the game. I know the bar is extremely low on Virtanen, so its something but overall, still a massive dissappointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yea, you're in good company because the majority of folks on here have come to the same conclusion on Lazy Jake that he's a floater and has no fire burning in his belly.   Best thing for him is to get outta town as I'm afraid he's washed-up around here.   Too bad because we all hoped we'd see better from him.  Sad situation really!

There was one instance in the 3rd where he got a nice pass full speed in the offensive zone and just waited for support rather than just driving to the net. Jake isn't assertive enough to make things happen. On the other hand, Hoglander had a nice rush in the 3rd, just blew by the dman through the boards. It didn't lead to a goal, but it lead to some pressure on the Calgary end, but the point is, one guy wants to make a difference (Hogs), the other one doesn't

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I know he just had a great game and all, but the team should expose Myers. He’s the only less-than-desirable contract the team has that extends past next season.

He had a good game tonight, but we'd be doing cartwheels if Myers gets taken in the ED. 6 million per is a massive price tag for a very low end top 4 d-man

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

while it lasts and then the knife goes in the back AGAIN.... Remember our team had Almo and Bure, Bure went down and Almo carried the team on his back until he finally wore down and then it was "Mogilny" sucks.. THAT, was f'n lame! 

Good ol Almo, the enigma. For 55 minutes he'd do absolutely nothing and for the last 5 , he looks like he belonged with the very best, Forsberg, Jagr etc. When Almo turned it up, the guy was a machine

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All the trolls go back under the bridge - on the way a poke or two.   Got to give it to Aquaman, way to shut things up.   Defending this team throughout the losing streak became tiresome - was called a troll by one poster for doing just that which made me think about using the ignore button for the second time (used it once, took it off after a week or so)...."TG this, TG that, JB this, JB that" has been a little much.    Darius, thank you again for post of the year so far IMO, by shedding some light and wisdom onto this site in comparing it to Bob M, early 90 era Canucks - see a lot of similarities too.  

And a shout out to quite a few posters that also seem to get that not signing any of these guys gave us hope to contend later.    Same guys... not going to work, hasn't so far right?  Pretty simple even without regression or injuries or 75ish million in committed money over 4-6 years (and clauses). 

Patience is a virtue for a reason, yes it sucks losing.   The past three games we were the better team.   Going 1-2 isn't the average, but for sure it will even out. The team knows that a consistent effort like that over the long haul we are a team that other ones won't consider "fun to play against".    

Nice to win, and not lose when we didn't deserve too as well.   Team needed to learn how to win without Markstrom,  looks like CAL ... well haven't they looked a lot like the Canucks when we weren't on last year but got bailed out? 

So very true on this one.  

Trolls who do not know much about the game still calling out Jake. He has had a good year so far. 

Complainers have got to complain though. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

There was one instance in the 3rd where he got a nice pass full speed in the offensive zone and just waited for support rather than just driving to the net. Jake isn't assertive enough to make things happen. On the other hand, Hoglander had a nice rush in the 3rd, just blew by the dman through the boards. It didn't lead to a goal, but it lead to some pressure on the Calgary end, but the point is, one guy wants to make a difference (Hogs), the other one doesn't

If I remember the play, he was on the wing closest to the camera and pulled up because there were 4 flames back. You and your buddies only see bad in all his plays. Garbage. Call out the other players too. Gaudette has looked like trash yet he gets praise here.

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jake did worse than that. Like  throwing the puck away into the corner when he had passing options or giving up on a puck battle as soon as he was under pressure and just skated away.  I've been an ardent JV supporter from day 1 but I think I've finally seen enough. The team isn't any better with him on the ice, its time for him to go.

It's tough to get to this point.  The fourth line did have quite a few chances last night, but also seems to have quite a few chances with Motte too.   Beagle is a warrior but his hands aren't quite there and haven't been for years really - nothing wrong with that though it's not why he's on the fourth line, it's for PK and get the puck the heck out of our zone.   JV had one very good shift in the first period...and a terrible one too - had the chance twice to get the puck out and it was like a hot potato.   Sometimes i'm not sure if he's so worried to make the wrong play it affects his game, others i wonder if he still thinks he's playing junior hockey, and others he shows flashes of why we picked him.   Overall i'd take Motte every time over JV.   

Energy is contagious.   Wonder how Mottes stats would look like with the same chances.   No idea, but i'm sure he'd have made the best of them every single time.   Hoglander steeling JVs spot says it all right there. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

He had a good game tonight, but we'd be doing cartwheels if Myers gets taken in the ED. 6 million per is a massive price tag for a very low end top 4 d-man

And people thought Tanev's Calgary contract is an over payment. 

Also, I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that there weren't really any other teams aggressively pursuing Myers. If so that would make his contract and even bigger overpayment

I'm not saying Myers shouldn't have been signed but this is just another classic example of Jim Benning over paying in Free Agency.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1