The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

Big win. Needed this one. Demko was sharp when he needed to be. Hogz continues to look good. So electric out there with the puck. Great to see. Huggy Bear and Myers score big time goals. The team got a big one tonight and hope they keep it going. GCG!

• Hydration 1
Just now, coryberg said:

Like I said earlier going to have to gauge that by games played. It's a gamble for sure. So far so good though.

no - that's not how you guage a player, particularly a warrior like Tanev that throws himself in the line of fire before anyone else.

you guage them by performance - and when they're injured,  their cap does not apply.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I misread the post chain - he was actually referring to Markstrom.

But 'habitually injured' can happen when you throw yourself in front of every shot possible, and take a hit every time to make the first pass.

People here don't realize how 'foundational' he was - or how hard it is to look as good as he does in the midst of a rething.

I love Tanev and Markstrom, but Markstrom got hurt when it mattered most twice last year 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like Markstrom. But not at 6 years. It sucks to lose him, and good on him getting a better contract. It just sucks it had to be with Calgary. 

If there were no Demko here this line of thinking would be about as counterproductive as possible.  No Demko - and re-signing Markstrom was not only a no-brainer - it would be  essential.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hogz is a beauty for us too.....he's a huge difference maker.  He plays a very unafraid/confident game.

I believe we had a scoring chance whenever Hogs was on the ice. He's exactly the kind of player we needed, going to battles along the boards, coming up with the puck more often than not and finding his linemates with good passes.

We're a totally different team if we had another player like him... and good news is we're getting one in Podkolzin soon.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, oldnews said:

people here telling themselves that Markstrom can't sustain his performance is pretty wishful.

look - I hate Calgary as much as anyone - but let's not sandbag Markstrom - he deserves more recognition for how good he is.

he's as incisive as they come - mentally tough as hell, great athlete, technical beauty - the real deal.

I just hope he keeps them mediocre enough to avoid drafting any top end talent for the duration of his contract.  Aside from marky they look average again.    If they don’t do much this year I wonder if it’s monahan or Johnny they will punt first.  Come to think of it Tkuchuk doesn’t do much for them when it counts either. 

• Hydration 1

no - that's not how you guage a player, particularly a warrior like Tanev that throws himself in the line of fire before anyone else.

you guage them by performance - and when they're injured,  their cap does not apply.

You can't replace their cap for 20 games mid season because you have to be compliant when they come back. Instead you suffer... as we did for the last 7 years.

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Literally laughed my ass off. I was like really that’s what you have to talk about. The Flames were outshot 20-4 and you’re praising Magiapane 

You must have really liked the part how he said him and hughes were going to go at it all year. He's a fringe middle sixer, Stop the hype train my god lmao

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If there were no Demko here this line of thinking would be about as counterproductive as possible.  No Demko - and re-signing Markstrom was not only a no-brainer - it would be  essential.

True story

Just now, Darius said:

I just hope he keeps them mediocre enough to avoid drafting any top end talent for the duration of his contract.  Aside from marky they look average again.    If they don’t do much this year I wonder if it’s monahan or Johnny they will punt first.  Come to think of it Tkuchuk doesn’t do much for them when it counts either. 

I think they have a pretty good blueline and goaltending - but imo their forward group is over-rated. 

44 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not trying to start ish around here, but honestly I think the only player that put in a pretty crappy effort tonight was a player with a last name that sounds like irtanen, and a first name that sounds like cake.

Holy crap he sucks, move him already

• Like 1

you need to let go of that kind of blame imo.  you absolutely cannot put an injury on a player (unless they are Dustin Penner, reaching for the pancakes).

Or sopel and the cracker

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

You bi polar fans! This site was toxic before now its full of optimism 

salt to confetti in one game

love you all 

Welcome to the last 40 years... It's been painful to say the least.. 

Just now, oldnews said:

Demko still a couple years to be Marky level if that’s his trajectory. It sucked but necessary. The Canucks want to be a good team longer then 6 years. But you’re right if Demko wasn’t here to potentially extend the window. You sign Markstrom whatever it took. Obviously Calgary was the highest bidder. Goalies can be very good still well into their 30’s

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, coryberg said:

You can't replace their cap for 20 games mid season because you have to be compliant when they come back. Instead you suffer... as we did for the last 7 years.

if suffering from Tanev being on your roster is your concept of suffering, you haven't suffered.

Just now, oldnews said:

I think they have a pretty good blueline and goaltending - but imo their forward group is over-rated. 

Agree... I don’t think they have a very good prospect pool either.  Their time to go for it is now I guess..