The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

48 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

OJ quietly having solid rookie season, hogs no. 6 in rookie scoring, ahead of stutzle, 2 points back of lead, was unlucky not to get point last night. Another good JB/nucks draft pick with podz, rathbone, Lind poised to play NHL games this year/next year. Then there are guys like Lockwood, woo, jasek, Gadjo, Aidan mcdonut, truscott, who still have an outside chance at an nhl career, short or long.

JB era picks in the NHL/played nhl games (over 6 drafts- a little early to include this year, especially as we did not pick 'til 3rd round)

Boess

EP

Huggy

Virtanen

McCann

Tryamkin

Dipietro

Forsling

Gaudette

OJ

Hogz

so we are realistically looking at 13-14 players from his first 6 drafts to make the nhl, not bad

oh yeah and Tyler madden may play in NHL...not unreasonable to eventually see JB average 3 players per draft playing in the nhl, pretty good

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jake is a total floater. Multiple times he enters the zone does some stupid deke and drops the puck back to nobody. Turns it over.

Flies by potential opportunities to lay the body 99,% of the time.

Hes a fast floater with a decent shot with Low IQ and even lower passion for the game it seems.

He plays like the cocky kid on the block playing street hockey, lackadaisical and disinterested.

Its probably something to do with his relationship with green but none the less, Jake is done.

Look at the effort and compete from guys like Hog Motte Mac etc.

Jake is lazy and theres nobody to blame but himself for that

The real difference is that Jake plays hockey for fun, while the others play hockey to win.

Regardless, I still think Jake can be useful (and affordable) in the bottom 6.  The problem is that many fans will never let go of the fact that he was a 6th overall pick and always resent him.  Perhaps the best scenario for all concerned is a trade; hopefully to a team far away (just in case he turns into next years 'Ritchie'). Perhaps trading Virt (+ whatever) + Loui's contract would help the team the most.  Imagine having that extra $6m to upgrade.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Hughes-Schmidt

Edler- Hamonic

OJ-Myers

Benn

when everyone is healthy

Hughes gonna need to buckle down on defense, can't afford to have him as a defensive liability while Edler, Hamonic and Myers are giveaway machines.

Sorry to rain on the positivity parade, but thats not a good looking defense. Not if you're a playoffs fan.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The real difference is that Jake plays hockey for fun, while the others play hockey to win.

Regardless, I still think Jake can be useful (and affordable) in the bottom 6.  The problem is that many fans will never let go of the fact that he was a 6th overall pick and always resent him.  Perhaps the best scenario for all concerned is a trade; hopefully to a team far away (just in case he turns into next years 'Ritchie'). Perhaps trading Virt (+ whatever) + Loui's contract would help the team the most.  Imagine having that extra $6m to upgrade.

The only way we see Jake and Loui in a trade is to NJ for Subban. And I bet we'd have to throw in a draft pick. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I agree Benning made the right choice mostly for financial and expansion reasons though. Markstrom doesn't have high miles he didn't really become a starter until age 27 there is no reason to worry about his play dropping off in 3 years at age 34. Plenty of goalies remain competitive into their late 30s. Calgary got a great player and team mate. With the expansion coming we couldn't have both and Markstrom wasn't going to allow himself to be exposed. There is no way JB could have moved enough salary to keep him and sign the kids to their up coming deals. I'm happy for Marky and Tanev to have gotten the deals they did great guys who deserved it. Just too bad they landed in Calgary. 

I think also that JB was a little gun shy after the Louongo debacle. I know it wasn't his fault but he's had to deal with the ramifications of that contract during his entire tenure here as GM. Lu is like 41 years old now and still has 2 years left on his contract.  Smh.

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jake is a total floater. Multiple times he enters the zone does some stupid deke and drops the puck back to nobody. Turns it over.

Flies by potential opportunities to lay the body 99,% of the time.

Hes a fast floater with a decent shot with Low IQ and even lower passion for the game it seems.

He plays like the cocky kid on the block playing street hockey, lackadaisical and disinterested.

Its probably something to do with his relationship with green but none the less, Jake is done.

Look at the effort and compete from guys like Hog Motte Mac etc.

Jake is lazy and theres nobody to blame but himself for that

But follow the progress of the conversation. Try to be apart of something rather than the person that always cries and says this sucks.

Who do you replace him with?

Gaudette does not hit nor does he play D.

Mac plays a similar game and hits a bit more than JV. However, JV plays D and can be seen covering for D men that drop down.

Haw... (don't know how to spell his name) I don't know him.

Bailey was interesting but is injured now.

Podkolzin is not here, yet.

Eriksson is good at D but lacking in many other areas. He may play more with Motte injured for his ability to PK.

The Canucks are better with him in the line up then having him sit.

Mac and Virt make Sutter better. As they showed the most chemistry.

Again you and every other troll compares JV effort level to Motte and Hog. Who else competes like them? If you hold the team to their level of motivation, then we need to scrap the team as they are all useless and lazy.

• Cheers 1

Joulevi is a bit of a head scratcher. He had a great game last night, especially the hit on Thachuk. He's listed at 182 pounds and he doesn't look much bigger. He is supposed to be heavier, no? 

Meyers has been playing some good hockey lately. His goal was sweet. I have no idea how Marky would read a shot coming off a Meyer's stick at 6' 8". Where is it going to go?

Hogs is owed a goal. Rings one off the bar but his play all night was tops for the forward group. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Hughes gonna need to buckle down on defense, can't afford to have him as a defensive liability while Edler, Hamonic and Myers are giveaway machines.

Sorry to rain on the positivity parade, but thats not a good looking defense. Not if you're a playoffs fan.

As last nights game demonstrates (and its only one game), when the team is playing a tight, structured game, the giveaways on D are cut right down.

The worst giveaways last night were by a forward (Miller).

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only way we see Jake and Loui in a trade is to NJ for Subban. And I bet we'd have to throw in a draft pick. 

Yeah, no doubt.  It would be worth it to add a decent pick or prospect to get rid of $8.2m cap.  It's just for 1 season after all.:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

As last nights game demonstrates (and its only one game), when the team is playing a tight, structured game, the giveaways on D are cut right down.

The worst giveaways last night were by a forward (Miller).

What confuses me is how they can perform like they did last night after we have seen them play horribly defensively for many games. 

Last night the d  were closing gaps, weren’t backing in as much,  playing far more aggressive, and weren’t reverting to the passive 5 man box they seem to collapse into when the other team pressures.  The forwards were supporting them too. 

Did the coaches direct them to not sit back as much?  The players actually executing the plan that was being preached all along?  Is cohesion finally starting to form after new guys / pairings getting some games and real practices  together?  What changed? 

whatever it is I hope they keep it up. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Again you and every other troll compares JV effort level to Motte and Hog. Who else competes like them?

Petterson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Guadette,  hell even Rousell and Beagle. These guys all give 100% every shift. You and every other troll trys to claim these guys aren't working hard out there when the team isn't winning. Which is total b.s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

What confuses me is how they can perform like they did last night after we have seen them play horribly defensively for many games. 

Last night the d  were closing gaps, weren’t backing in as much,  playing far more aggressive, and weren’t reverting to the passive 5 man box they seem to collapse into when the other team pressures.  The forwards were supporting them too. 

Did the coaches direct them to not sit back as much?  The players actually executing the plan that was being preached all along?  Is cohesion finally starting to form after new guys / pairings getting some games and real practices  together?  What changed? 

grueling schedule and no practices to a few days off and being able to practice can change a whole team outlook

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

WE talking practice. Not another game, practice.

Which helps the team play better in the actual games.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Hughes look pretty good last night. 

Edler and Myers can play a lot better; especially in the P/Os.  I thought they both played well last night.

Judging Hamonic on 5 games (after not playing since before the P/Os last year) is unfair.  Hopefully he will return soon and we will get to see what he can do.

36 minutes ago, Davathor said:

It's ok Dav.  We're used to it.B)

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi's way better than Chatfield, that hit on Tkachuk was one of the best parts of the game. The big Swede though was letting Tkachuk ragdoll him, memories of Daniel, getting bullied by Marchand. What the heck Edler, fight back. 

I thought so too. I hope Benn or Mac challenges Tkachuk early in the next game to send the message that that will not be tolerated.