The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Actually there isn’t much cap space available next season.  We have almost no money coming off the books and have huge raises due our three best players.  We also have to absorb ELC bonuses pushed into next season that we can’t afford this season.

Imo, there is enough space to ice a slightly better team next year than this, and the year after will be better than that.

or

Loui retires

and the league throws us a bone, and in the spirit of covid recovery lets us off the Loungo hook.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Did I just read that the schedule makers are responsible for the Canucks missing the playoffs?

Hooooly $&!#, I really did underestimate the Benning conveyor belt of excuses.

If we had too many games earlier, the boys didn't get enough time to gel and practice.

If we had too few games earlier, the league is out to get us - they wanted to kill our bubble momentum.

:rolleyes:

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Picks and prospects lol. Isn't that always the answer? 

Or is it Raymond Ballard and a 2nd?

I don't know if it is even possible to "deal" the Loungo hit as it was a penalty to the team, or if the spooner hit can get traded.

I'd go with no to the first and doubtfully to the second.

But perhaps another poster can say for sure?

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I don't know if it is even possible to "deal" the Loungo hit as it was a penalty to the team, or if the spooner hit can get traded.

I'd go with no to the first and doubtfully to the second.

But perhaps another poster can say for sure?

I'm not an expert (although I do play one on this board) but I highly doubt a penalty can be traded, which both are (recapture and buyout). Never heard of anything like that before.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Did I just read that the schedule makers are responsible for the Canucks missing the playoffs?

Hooooly $&!#, I really did underestimate the Benning conveyor belt of excuses.

Well, it's nice that  you are finally catching up!

I've mentioned the schedule as a (partial) reason for the team's slow start perhaps as long ago as early February. Is it the only reason? Of course not, and you'd have to be pretty simple to try and parade that around as the single reason for the poorer results early on... but it sure as hell didn't help. I suppose it's just a coincidence that the Canucks are showing better results with more time to practice, and more down time between games while other teams who are now catching up in games played are showing signs of withering.

One thing about this which you may like is that you can use the "schedule excuse" for the remainder of the season should the Canucks have too much success.  :)

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I suppose it's just a coincidence that the Canucks are showing better results with more time to practice, and more down time between games while other teams who are now catching up in games played are showing signs of withering.

It's pretty much the goalie and that's about it lol.

We did play much better after that initial terrible stint (starting from those 2 games vs. Leafs), but we're not playing that way right now, so I don't know how you can chalk it up to the schedule lightening up.

IMO this is more luck correction, as there were several games about a month ago that we lost that we deserved to win.

37 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL what does this even mean? 

I'm going to assume "Slim" is Jim Benning and he's implying that he's no longer being fired due to this last little run :P

• Cheers 2

Don't look now but we're 6-2-0 in our last 8 games...3 points out of the playoffs (with a bucket of games in hand).

These Ottawa wins are cute but we really need to win against our key opponents - Oilers, Habs and Calgary, and we struggle to do that to be honest. This little Montreal double game will really tell us which way the team is going - if they drop another 5 goals against, IMO there's no way we're trending into the playoffs but if we can put together a bit of a statement and get 3/4 points then you never know...

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't look now but we're 6-2-0 in our last 8 games...3 points out of the playoffs (with a bucket of games in hand).

Don’t look now, but we have gained exactly 1 point closer to the playoff bar in the last 10 games.

We have earned 1 point more than Montreal for the last spot.  Calgary has kept just as far ahead of us so we haven’t gained on them at all... so really haven’t upped our chances.

I wasn’t kidding when I said it was almost impossible for us to catch up even if we strung some wins together.

If they decide to make the season more than 100 games long, and we keep catching at this pace it should work out for us.  As it stands, we are 2 games below .500 and the final playoff spot is held by a team 5 games above .500

Our wins have also come despite poor play and almost solely on the back of Demko who has been running at above a .950 save percentage.  If that was a sustainable  (and historic) number, then any roster in the league can win a lot of games.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

It's pretty much the goalie and that's about it lol.

We did play much better after that initial terrible stint (starting from those 2 games vs. Leafs), but we're not playing that way right now, so I don't know how you can chalk it up to the schedule lightening up.

IMO this is more luck correction, as there were several games about a month ago that we lost that we deserved to win.

The Canucks win a close one, and it's only because of their goalie. Canucks win going away, and it's only because the other team's goalie had an off night.

The Canucks lose a close one, and it's because they aren't a good team. The Canucks lose going away and it's because they aren't a very good team.

This seems to be the position of a number of folks around here. I guess it makes things simple.

Anyhoo, it's early. I need breakfast. Let's go have some Eggs Benedict.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Don’t look now, but we have gained exactly 1 point closer to the playoff bar in the last 10 games.

We have earned 1 point more than Montreal for the last spot.  Calgary has kept just as far ahead of us so we haven’t gained on them at all... so really haven’t upped our chances.

I wasn’t kidding when I said it was almost impossible for us to catch up even if we strung some wins together.

If they decide to make the season more than 100 games long, and we keep catching at this pace it should work out for us.  As it stands, we are 2 games below .500 and the final year payoff spot is held by a team 5 games above .500

Our wins have also come despite poor play and almost solely on the back of Demko who has been running at above a .950 save percentage.  If that was a sustainable  (and historic) number, then any roster in the league can win a lot of games.

This! Only way we make it now is if we beat Montreal,Calgary and Edmonton head to head. Also right about Demko, his numbers are insane and likely hard to sustain.

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

If they decide to make the season more than 100 games long, and we keep catching at this pace it should work out for us.  As it stands, we are 2 games below .500 and the final playoff spot is held by a team 5 games above .500

Sadly agree, we shouldn't have won a couple of those games and it looks like our defence is almost as bad as it was to start the season, it's just that Demko has arrived.

The most important thing will be the 4 point games against Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton. We absolutely crapped the bed against Montreal a few nights ago so let's see what this next back-to-back can bring. Win both miraculously and we leapfrog them, split and we go nowhere, lose and we're in an even bigger hole.

The probability of us making the playoffs is pretty much the same probability of us winning two games in Montreal in a row...slim.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

If they decide to make the season more than 100 games long, and we keep catching at this pace it should work out for us.  As it stands, we are 2 games below .500 and the final year payoff spot is held by a team 5 games above .500

Just to be a nitpicker, I make that 12 points for the Canucks in their last 10 games (Feb.23 - Mar.15) to only 8 points for Montreal in their last 10 games (Feb.25 - Mar.15). and 10 points for Calgary in their last 10 games (Feb..24 - Mar.15). 

This being said, I'm sure that you are correct, and that the Canucks will fail miserably in their attempts to reach the playoffs. Montreal and Calgary will win all of the games they have in hand so those points will sink this team's chances. Gosh darn it! Don't you just hate it when the other team automatically wins games?

Oh well, baseball season starts in April. Don't you go spoiling the results for this upcoming season...

regards,  G,

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

unless the Canucks take 2 games this weekend from Montreal, and MTL goes on a mini-slide after that. Longshot for sure, but also possible. 

I suspect we'll still be 4 or 5 pts out of a spot by the time we start the 5 day break in March, thats when decisions will be made to move guys or not. If we're within 2 points, even with teams still having games in hand,  Jim won't move anyone, but more than that I think we see a couple bodies shipped out. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill