The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

This hits the nail on the head.

Benning has used his picks and trades to acquire offensive talent... even Hughes as a D-Man was picked for his offensive ability.

With the exception of Myers, there has been very little effort put into acquiring really solid 3/4/5/6 position D-Men... Benning has scraped around the bottom of the barrel instead to pick up guys like Hamonic and Benn.

Look at Winnipeg... their D Roster has always been a strong point... even with getting rid of Trouba, Myers, etc. they still have a set of big talented guys back there.

D wins Cups.

The Jets are also coach by a more experienced Coach but moving forward, the Canucks (IMO) still seems to match up well against them.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, SNuck said:

How are people still thinking coaching and bottom 6 aren't a problem. 

Agreed. Which means blame is on JB and Green with an assist by the NHL for the Luongo recapture. Such much cap not being used or useless when 6 million of it is...

• Cheers 1

Just now, lmm said:

no

the next Hamhius/Tanev experience

I'm not sure what the 'Hamhuis experience' was aside from being reluctant to be rented and then lowballed to hell because it was relatively known he had a list as small or smaller than Kesler's.  

Do you think we should have re-signed Tanev?  Renting him obviously wasn't an option / not a parallel to the Hamhuis situation...

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The Jets are also coach by a more experienced Coach but moving forward, the Canucks (IMO) still seems to match up well against them.

I'll take Green over Maurice every time.   I like  Maurice - he's funny, he's got some edge, he's a 'player's coach' but I'd prefer Green regardless - and think the Jets missed a few big opportunty seasons recently passed...

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure what the 'Hamhuis experience' was aside from being reluctant to be rented and then lowballed to hell because it was relatively known he had a list as small or smaller than Kesler's.  

Do you think we should have re-signed Tanev?  Renting him obviously wasn't an option / not a parallel to the Hamhuis situation...

Yes, he should have been re-signed... but with no no-trade clause.  And then traded after two years.

Would have been 1.5 million per year cheaper than signing Schmidt... who would not be needed.

Also they should have re-signed Oskar Fantenberg for a year... yeah he wasn't great in the playoffs, but most of last year he was better than Benn... and he was mean.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, he should have been re-signed... but with no no-trade clause.  And then traded after two years.

Would have been 1.5 million per year cheaper than signing Schmidt... who would not be needed.

Also they should have re-signed Oskar Fantenberg for a year... yeah he wasn't great in the playoffs, but most of last year he was better than Benn... and he was mean.

Calgary gave him an NTC so they've outbid you.

I still would have made the Schmidt deal whether they signed Tanev or not - and moved cap elsewhere to make it happen.

I like Fantenburg - I have no idea why no NHL team signed him - he's easily an NHL roster defenseman imo (or at least was last year).

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The entire team is accountable, they win and lose as a group

Singling out Bo and jumping on his back because he's got a C on his chest is gross, I've always hated how quick fanbases are to lynch their captains 

ya captains get held accountable its just the way it is  anyone not named petey or hoglander  tonight should be bag skated til they puke 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Calgary gave him an NTC so they've outbid you.

I still would have made the Schmidt deal whether they signed Tanev or not - and moved cap elsewhere to make it happen.

I like Fantenburg - I have no idea why no NHL team signed him - he's easily an NHL roster defenseman imo (or at least was last year).

Canucks could have signed him... you are forgetting the hometown discount... no one likes to move... and Calgary isn't exactly a destination.

• Huggy Bear 1