The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Montour is available

With Buffalo in a pickle regarding their expansion draft dman it makes sense that they shop Montour but likely at a price that isn't affordable for us. They spent Brendan Guhle and a first on him, I'd expect they would like a similar return.

They have to protect:

Dahlin, Jokiharju and either risk losing Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, or McCabe.

In some way I'd try to capitalize and see if you can take a dman off their hands to protect for the expansion draft.

33 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Buffalo in a pickle regarding their expansion draft dman it makes sense that they shop Montour but likely at a price that isn't affordable for us. They spent Brendan Guhle and a first on him, I'd expect they would like a similar return.

They have to protect:

Dahlin, Jokiharju and either risk losing Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, or McCabe.

In some way I'd try to capitalize and see if you can take a dman off their hands to protect for the expansion draft.

He’s a UFA as well as McCabe.  Miller was in Krueger’s dog house for part of last season + they need to have a D with a number games to expose who is signed through next season so Miller is probably earmarked to be that D.  It leaves them to protect Dahlin, Ristolainen and Jokiharju.  

15 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd do Virtanen for Montour in a heartbeat.  

The trade generally makes sense.

Both players could probably use a fresh start.  Montour had a decent initial start with the Sabres.  He's still playing around 20-minutes a night but not sure if that's mostly because Ristolainen has been missing a fair bit of time.  Montour was a solid young RHD with the Ducks hence his cost of acquisition by the Sabres.

My guess is the Sabres would not be interested in a 1-for-1 with Jake as the return.  I believe the Canucks would also have to move out some salary to absorb Montour for the remainder of this year ($3.85M but UFA this summer).  Montour's UFA status might reduce his value somewhat.

I don't see any point in picking up a player who will be a UFA at the end of the season.  Especially as he will have to isolate for 14 days and then attempt to fit into the Nucks team/system (however long that takes).  The ED makes all trades difficult. 

If per chance the Canucks find a player that comes with an ED dumping price tag, they will have to determine if he should be protected over Hughes, Myers or Juolevi.  Otherwise, he's just a short term rental.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's a pending ufa, which hurts their leverage a bit. They'll also have to move someone or risk losing them without gaining assets.

Question is, what are they looking for? Top picks should be off the table, as should top prospects. 

Start high and bargain into a decent prospect/young player and a pick

12 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Start high and bargain into a decent prospect/young player and a pick

Could, but there's also the question of whether he's worth acquiring and having to re-sign/protect in the expansion draft. This season is pretty much a lost cause at this point, there's no point in renting. 

Could be better pieces available closer to the draft, or a number of players who could be had for nothing but money via ufa. With Hughes and Petey needing new deals it'd be unwise to throw a bunch of money at another D when we'd probably get more out of the guys we have by simply letting our coaching staff walk at the end of the season. 

53 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's a pending ufa, which hurts their leverage a bit. They'll also have to move someone or risk losing them without gaining assets.

Question is, what are they looking for? Top picks should be off the table, as should top prospects. 

I think with covid and expansion, they'd be happy to get a top 9 with decent term left. No one's going to give a 1st rounder this year for him. 

It would be nice if a short extension could be negotiated prior to the trade as well. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, smokes said:

Why go after a rental when we not even in the playoff picture right now?

Unless he’s a Myers / Tryamkin giant, a super rookie needing a change, or a 3rd, 2nd or 1st pick, I don’t see any reason to trade this season.

Of course anything can change at any time with sports. Benning finds a deal as good in value as the Miller deal (not for a 1st), then I assume the Canucks would jump on the deal.

This team is very young and barely hanging while learning the tribulations of growing into their own.

This is a very abnormal year and I’m sure they’ve had these internal discussions.

I would love to see Tryamkin added to the defence. Try to touch Hughes then.

As pretty set the forward units are for the next couple of years, so is the defence in flux. Hughes and Juolevi aren’t going anywhere.

Keep growing. 

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

Why go after a rental when we not even in the playoff picture right now?

if you can negotiate an extension then its not a rental. It will likely be hard for Buffalo to get any value on this deal, so I'd expect them to be open to that kind of move. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1