Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic


-SN-
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

A coaching change will be too late at this stage anyway, even if it was implemented.

 

I'm guessing everyone's going to lose their job next season: Benning, Green, Baumer, and maybe Brown.

 

A new GM is going to come in and put his replacements - it's definitely an exciting time to send in your resumes.

This. If Aqua and Benning wanted to truly have salvaged the season and believed a coaching change was needed it would already have been done. 15 games ago. Green hasn’t been extended for a reason. At this point, you ride it out and make changes in the off-season. I highly, highly doubt Green and co are brought back next year given how poorly the team is prepared most nights and the inability for the coaching staff to adapt and make timely changes. It’s a tough pill for fans to swallow but this season is basically a write off and they’ve dug themselves a hole they can’t climb out of. 
 

 

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

A coaching change will be too late at this stage anyway, even if it was implemented.

 

I'm guessing everyone's going to lose their job next season: Benning, Green, Baumer, and maybe Brown.

 

A new GM is going to come in and put his replacements - it's definitely an exciting time to send in your resumes.

Hmmm, dust off your resumes....Deb gets two full-time job offers...

94354A22-61CB-4496-B1AE-60BF62257A8C.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 4petesake said:

Hmmm, dust off your resumes....Deb gets two full-time job offers...

94354A22-61CB-4496-B1AE-60BF62257A8C.gif

She's going to be taking both assistant positions. She's an upgrade over Brown and Baumer given she actually watches the game, and can be trusted to be sober while doing so. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, billabong said:

Oh I defiantly agree something has to change, but a head coaching change wouldn’t be as beneficial as some people think.

 

We’re done. Coaching change or no coaching change. It’s a mute point 

 

 

Don't agree simply because i don't think writing this year off is good for the kids. If Green isn't the coach going forward, move him out and give the kids something to  believe in going forward and a head start on next season.

.

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

 

Beagle wasn't overpaid by 2 million - that's a huge exaggeration.

 

And I will bring it back to the depth issue - we literally had no reliable depth when Benning took over. I'm not saying that Benning should be excused on this matter, but this situation should be taken into some consideration. Gillis did a lot more damage to this team than one would realize.

 

Also, it doesn't help that the Canucks used rookie coaches throughout this time. WD had one good season. So did Green last season. But their flaws were pretty well exposed, particularly WD's overplaying of veteran and fringe players...

 

IMO, Gillis should deserve more blame for this mess. No prospects/prospect development. No identity. Maybe the owner deserves blame for trying to cling onto the last playoff run, even though the Sedins did not have a replacement.

100% this.

 

One other comment, Benning HAD to pay more to get decent UFAs to come to Vancouver because we were a bad team with no shot at a cup in a high-tax, high-cost city. A player in Vancouver pays much higher taxes and it's a higher cost city compared to places like Vegas, Carolina, and soon Seattle another state with no income tax. Players like Thornton and Spezza are signing sweetheart deals with teams like Toronto because they've made their money and want to win a cup, and Toronto has a great chance to do so. In two more years, when Petey, Brock, QH, Demko, Hogs, Oli, Pods, and maybe Rathbone and Woo have more seasoning,  Benning will be able to get late-career former stars willing to sign for below market to play third and fourth line roles for a chance at a cup. Until then, Vancouver will have to pay more because of taxes and how good or bad our chance of winning is. Free agency is NOT a level playing field. There should be some sort of equalization between markets, but the NHL would never do that because it would penalize the American franchises. There's a reason a Canadian based team has not won the cup since 1993.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all about drafting and developing now for the next three years, and making wise decisions on the UFA and trade markets. Hopefully our first round pick + Podkolzin can make a difference next year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Salary cap should be based on net pay instead of gross.  It was brought in to level the playing field, but the current implementation is not successfully doing so.

I hadn’t thought of that, it’s an interesting idea. But level playing field....that doesn’t sound like the NHL.

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I like Green, but Demko is hot, why don't use him to-night?

I see what you're saying. He has clearly been the better goalie all season. But the Canucks haven't played the same goalie in back to backs since at least Louongo. It was to be expected Holtby would get the start tonight. Remember, Green never deviates from his system. 

Edited by CptCanuck16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I see what you're saying. He has clearly been the better goalie all season. But the Canucks haven't played the same goalie in back to backs since at least Louongo. It was ro be expecting Holtby would get the start tonight. Remember, Green never deviates from his system. 

If a shutout isn't a good reason to deviate, I don't know what is.  Pretty sure Lack played every game other than a couple after Luongo got traded and Markstom wasn't good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning's contract runs until the summer of 2023.  He isn't going anywhere even though some people think otherwise.  We have a deep prospect pool and great young players already on the roster.  We just need someone behind the bench that can get the most out of that talent.  Aquilini will have to spend money to get a qualified coaching staff.  The talent is there.  We saw it last game.  We need to see it every game.

EP, You're preachin' to my choir. Agree wholeheartedly.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

100% this.

 

One other comment, Benning HAD to pay more to get decent UFAs to come to Vancouver because we were a bad team with no shot at a cup in a high-tax, high-cost city. A player in Vancouver pays much higher taxes and it's a higher cost city compared to places like Vegas, Carolina, and soon Seattle another state with no income tax. Players like Thornton and Spezza are signing sweetheart deals with teams like Toronto because they've made their money and want to win a cup, and Toronto has a great chance to do so. In two more years, when Petey, Brock, QH, Demko, Hogs, Oli, Pods, and maybe Rathbone and Woo have more seasoning,  Benning will be able to get late-career former stars willing to sign for below market to play third and fourth line roles for a chance at a cup. Until then, Vancouver will have to pay more because of taxes and how good or bad our chance of winning is. Free agency is NOT a level playing field. There should be some sort of equalization between markets, but the NHL would never do that because it would penalize the American franchises. There's a reason a Canadian based team has not win the cup since 1993.

Very true. You have to make $6m in Canada to end up with the same amount of money in your pocket as as an American team player making $4. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plays a bang average at best goaltender in Holtby after a Demko shutout last game.

 

Scratches arguably our most consistent defenseman this season in Juolevi for the likes on Myers, Hamonic, Benn, etc.

 

Plays roussell over literally anybody.

 

Green showing yet again why he’s nowhere near an nhl caliber coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...