The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Given how the defence plays every night, would you really be surprised? Grade A chances given up.

Defensive coverage is weak but Demko is at .927 and trending up.  Holtby has not earned his contract and it looks like the gamble that he would find his game has  not paid off.  I don't really care that much  because the overall team isn't playing  well enough to compete most nights anyways and having a goalie stealing most of your games tends to cover up for the team's weaknesses which need to be addressed. 

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I do realize this, but some things have to be accountable to the appropriate people. For example, do you blame the Prime Minister because your coffee was served cold at McDonalds?

Are you telling me that Jim Benning has as much influence on the Canucks as Justin Trudeau has on McDonalds? I'm fine with entertaining a conversation about how Green has not utilized his players properly and his system is too open and nonchalant for the caliber of players Benning has given him. At least there's a point to argue. You've assembled an absolutely terrible straw man analogy that has no value to this conversation whatsoever.

Clearly you want to blame the coach, and I won't stop you. The only thing I'll ask is, who hired the coach you think is so terrible?

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson was not washed up at the time of his signing. That's revisionist history.

Beagle was well respected in Washington - and a fan favourite, fresh off a cup win.

Myers was a well-sought after FA. Signed on the first day because he wanted to come home.

I get that you want to put some scapegoats in, but they have to make sense though.

Yes, like signing those players to bloated contracts made so much sense. Its because of this logic why we are where we are now. I knew Myers was overrated because Jets fans warned me. I knew Holtby was not going to be a savior because of his stats. I knew Beagle was overpaid by 2 million right when we signed him, same as Roussell. Problem is that Benning cant identify which players are declining. I will say that Ericksson was a surprise in terms of how he badly declined but the rest of the signings are just unforgiveable especially when he lets go of players that actually care and are key players for this teams success.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

With Ian Clarke's help and the bet that Holtby would bounce back, pretty damn high. It's not a bad signing. His bad game tonight wasn't good, sure, but all goalies have had bad games - including Markstrom.

Woodley ahead of free agency did not think that Holtby would be of interest to Clark.  He explained that the qualities in Holtby that would appeal to Clark decline with age.   There was a link to the interview in the thread but TSN1040 has shut down.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Deets said:

Are you telling me that Jim Benning has as much influence on the Canucks as Justin Trudeau has on McDonalds? I'm fine with entertaining a conversation about how Green has not utilized his players properly and his system is too open and nonchalant for the caliber of players Benning has given him. At least there's a point to argue. You've assembled an absolutely terrible straw man analogy that has no value to this conversation whatsoever.

Clearly you want to blame the coach, and I won't stop you. The only thing I'll ask is, who hired the coach you think is so terrible?

I didn't say that Benning doesn't deserve blame. But the coach who makes questionable coaching decisions SHOULD be held to some responsibility as well.

With this team, everything has to go right for them to have a chance.  Last game, it did.

This game the goaltending wasn't good enough. And that was all it took for the rest of the cards to fall.

We need more goal contribution from bottom six. Gaudette's better suited for the wing but hes still gotta get to that next level to finish plays.

Our second unit PP looks like they were an afterthought for Brown and have no clue, and are just lucky to keep possession and not into our own net.

And the gamble that Holtby could regain his Cup winning athleticism is over. If Ian Clark can't fix him no one can.

But when this team senses their goalie is having a rough night, they play like frightened bunnies, which is not fun to watch especially in their own D zone. I couldn't name how many extra chances on net other teams get from direct give-away passes within our own zone. I love Myers size and reach, which he does use to his advantage, but I cringe when he gets the puck on his stick in a crowded D zone situation.

There is a future contending team in the making though.  We're not our sister team in Buffalo thank gawd.  Its just too bad we are going to have to sacrifice playoffs in the first window of most rising teams, when its young talent are on ELCs. and bridge deals.  And it will still take some creative manoeuvring to set up the Canucks for two years away and keep every young player we want to.

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Sad part is we don’t even have to try to tank for a top 5 pick...

star trek GIF

yes, at least they are really good in tanking. Probably elite, in the same tier as Ottawa and Detroit.

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

And to think, Virtanen has more NHL experience than Green...lol.

I don't like him as a coach either, but at least tell the truth.

image.thumb.png.12f8b7519215a886296ba00bcccbb044.png

That's more than the average, and a highly respectable NHL career.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1