The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

MTL and TO are two of the biggest revenue earners for the league.   WNP and OTT make more then a lot of US teams.   Canadian markets don't fight much at all (aside from TO) for sports dollars and hockey is number one here, not number three.   So a city of 3 million in the US is similar to WNP and OTT market right off the hop.   The 7 Canadian teams - just making a guess, probably count for over 1/3 of all revenue.   Why ARI hasn't been relocated to Quebec is a total disgrace. 

Edit:  As an aside - TO could easily support two team - like NY does.   GTA has 7.5 million people - Oshawa for sure is a good location for a second team.    Anyone wanting to take the go train could be there between 5- 60minutes no matter where you area on the line.   Only NY, and LA are more populated.   Sure they also have baseball and basketball, but hockey is still king, and for sure the Leafs would take a hit, but they'd probably end up a middle revenue earner for them right away....Canada could support two teams a lot better then ARI, FLD (who's actually supported partially by snow birds already) and CAR ...(Quebec City and TO)...

The future of the NHL is not so dependent on gate receipts. That has been the strength of the Canadian franchises. Frankly most Americans have no idea where Quebec City is but they sure know where Phoenix is. Add Florida to that. This is important if the NHL dream of a major media contract is to be realized. A contract in the billions not millions of $. A contract that delivers $5 to $10 million to the CAP of each NHL team.

While I can see another NHL team in southern Ontario I do not in Quebec. As much as I detest the Laffers I also realize this is a Top 10 market in NA. Quebec could not support a NHL franchise years ago and I doubt if they can now.

What is with the Holtby bashing...He is with a new team, a much worse overall team than Washington AND his play was declining leading up to us signing him!

The hope was Clark could work with Holtby and help rediscover his old form, that takes time and in a pandemic season with a short training camp, no pre season and little practice time during the season...Myself, I figured he would struggle on our team. This season is a right off and maybe next year if he is with us he can help be a veteran G between the pipes while being able to spell Demko off and give him some rest.

I usually agree with a lot of what @canuck2288 but going hard after Holtby is unfair. Markstrom you say, the same guy who got injured for us is already injured with the Lames. Did we pay a decent cap hit for Holtby, yes BUT it was for insurance purposes...Demko has found his game and can play the bulk of the games and it was only a 2 year deal for Holtby, better than 6 years of Markstrom at a higher cap hit and a NMC when we have a younger less expensive goalie in Demko.

This season is done, the team needs a major overhaul...complete new coaching staff and some big changes to management, maybe move JB to President with involvment in scouting, get rid of Weisbrod and hire a new GM and AGM. Hire an experienced NHL head coach and stop gifting assistant coach jobs to former Canucks with no coaching experience.

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

17 games back we sat at a 4-5 record. I’m no math wiz like @canuck2288 but that means we are 5-10-2 in the last 17.

Still absolutely horrible but no need to dig the hole deeper.

5 games under 500 in the last 17 games 

that changes everything!!!!

how did i miss such positive news? 

re-sign the coaching staff immediately with that incredible new trend data !!!

• Haha 1

I am not sure fans remember this. It has only been 3 years since the twins left. For the first few years of Jim's tenor they were trying to stay competitive. Much of the cap mess comes from that era. 

We could really use a high pick this year.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I wonder how much Green will be willing to change the lines, to try and get something going, try to find a recipe that works. 

Is Miller bad at C or something? He's more of a force (and stronger) than Petey, who should be paying wing.

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Captain Invisible.....he did play, right?

Yeah he definitely did. Horvat is absolutely not the problem. He is having his second best season in terms of points per game and his best season in terms of possession and defensive metrics. And he is doing all of this while playing against the other teams top lines all night and playing beside a struggling Pearson, who is having his worst season as a Canuck, and a 20 year old NHL rookie.

I can't wait until Pearson is gone and we finally get Podkolzin on Horvat's LW

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder how much Green will be willing to change the lines, to try and get something going, try to find a recipe that works. 

Is Miller bad at C or something? He's more of a force (and stronger) than Petey, who should be paying wing.

Miller is better at faceoffs. That in the only center duty that Miller is better than Petey at. Petey is a faster, harder back checker and far smarter in the D zone. Petey also always gives far more effort than Miller, who has done a lot of floating this year. Honestly it looks like after his success last year he just expects this season to be easy and isn't putting in near the effort. He just stood there and let Appleton blow past him to get at the rebound on the Jets first goal last night 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Morrissey....he's also the one who was clutching Petey and Petey got his glove and shot it into the net.  I loved that.  Screw you stuff.  If the refs are no shows, this is what happens.  Yet we get called for a love tap/slash.

The refs were horrible...they missed a WHOLE lot.

There's a difference  between "missing" and " not calling". These refs decided not to call a lot of obvious infractions. Impossible to understand the nhl officiating as it changes game to game and period to period. 

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I think Roussel, Beagle, Myers, Gudbranson, Vey, Sutter, Eriksson, not trading for draft picks when "rebuilding", starting the "rebuild" years too late, losing upcoming free agents for nothing, not finding a winger for Horvat for years and having a trash defense every year will cost Benning his job, not the coach. 

Wow you have so many issues maybe you should seek out some counselling

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah he definitely did. Horvat is absolutely not the problem. He is having his second best season in terms of points per game and his best season in terms of possession and defensive metrics. And he is doing all of this while playing against the other teams top lines all night and playing beside a struggling Pearson, who is having his worst season as a Canuck, and a 20 year old NHL rookie.

I can't wait until Pearson is gone and we finally get Podkolzin on Horvat's LW

People like to point at the C on his jersey when In reality there’s an entire team issue. Unfortunately we are still building a team. It would have been nice to have started the rebuild a couple years sooner

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm a fan of this team, but hasn't been a fan of the coaching for quite some time. I'd really like to see this roster play under a "structurally" sound coach. There's just too much talent being wasted by unproven coaches.

I actually think we need less structure (argument could be made we just need a different structure) because guys move to the same spots continually but any coach on the opposing end can see how repetitive this team is in using that said structure and it becomes predictably easy to counter. We see the same forecheck from pretty much every team because they've read where to send guys against our breakouts and where we position defensively. The games we win, we change our shape in the structure. 

Our structure is too stringent and doesn't have enough diversity. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

What is with the Holtby bashing...He is with a new team, a much worse overall team than Washington AND his play was declining leading up to us signing him!

The hope was Clark could work with Holtby and help rediscover his old form, that takes time and in a pandemic season with a short training camp, no pre season and little practice time during the season...Myself, I figured he would struggle on our team. This season is a right off and maybe next year if he is with us he can help be a veteran G between the pipes while being able to spell Demko off and give him some rest.

I usually agree with a lot of what @canuck2288 but going hard after Holtby is unfair. Markstrom you say, the same guy who got injured for us is already injured with the Lames. Did we pay a decent cap hit for Holtby, yes BUT it was for insurance purposes...Demko has found his game and can play the bulk of the games and it was only a 2 year deal for Holtby, better than 6 years of Markstrom at a higher cap hit and a NMC when we have a younger less expensive goalie in Demko.

This season is done, the team needs a major overhaul...complete new coaching staff and some big changes to management, maybe move JB to President with involvment in scouting, get rid of Weisbrod and hire a new GM and AGM. Hire an experienced NHL head coach and stop gifting assistant coach jobs to former Canucks with no coaching experience.

I read a quote from Kevin Woodley over at The Athletic saying that Holtby is putting in a lot of time and working very hard with Ian Clark, and that Woodley expects this will start to really pay off in the second half of this season.

It’s very true that these things take time. Especially when you’re talking about making adjustments to a veteran goalie’s technique. And even more so in the rather unique conditions of this compressed schedule and pandemic rules. 

It’s hard to say how much success Clark will have with Holtby, but I don’t think we’ve really seen the results yet. Quite often, these things get worse before they get better, and when a goalie is working through technical adjustments, he’s going to have a period where he looks uncomfortable, and moments where he looks completely lost, as he’s trying to implement coaching, versus just playing naturally. But once the technique becomes second nature, you start to see the results, and they can be dramatic.

Unfortunately, this is not the best season to have a goalie work through technical changes. The games keep coming, fast and furious, and there’s no place to hide weakness, especially when there are many other issues teamwide.

But, if I’m gonna put my optimist cap on for a minute, hopefully Holtby is getting closer to becoming comfortable with the changes Clark is asking him to make, and eventually, a switch will flip, and he’ll have incorporated the techniques, he’ll have the muscle memory and repetition, they’ll become natural for him, and he’ll be able to have an “unconscious” game with sound technique, backed up by his natural athleticism, and Clark will have once again “worked his magic.”

But it does take time.

It’s just really hard to be patient this year (and I’m as guilty as anyone), given everything we’re seeing from this team. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2