The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 19, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

38 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

if the ref doesn't see it how can he call it? myers could have been high sticked by his own teammate for all he knows.

His own teammates were no where  around.

The inference here is Myers was faking to stop the play. 

My point is that an explanation for a missed call like that from BOTH refs (or on-ice officials - whom they are at liberty to consult with after the play is blown dead) is warranted. 

When a fight breaks out, a ref at a point in time blows a whistle, and he often consults with his team of officials before assessing penalties, because he knows that he may not have been able to see everything. The same process should hold true for on-ice injuries. If a penalty is warranted after an on-ice injury - there should damn well be a process in place assess it.

Edited by viking mama
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

every game should be worth the same amount of points.

2 and 3 pt games - is an absurdity.

either change a regulation win to 3 pts, or do away with the gimme point for making it to overtime.

Doing away with the skills competition as well would be alright with me.   nothing worse than something hinging on shootouts.

But ... but.... this winter they've been bringing fans out of their seats!!!

Just now, Googlie said:

We would have won in regulation if we had scored in one of our powerplays

We would have won in regulation if Bo had won 2 faceoffs that were crucial

yikes. we should trade bo right? i mean of course, what if he ever loses another faceoff?

and the PP, of course your right.... green should have called a timeout and put so much pressure on the boys to score. 

make sure not to give any credit to montreal, who took big chances trying to force turnovers. it easily could have gone the other way.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It's an interesting discussion, though.  Which is the better team over an 82 game season? .........

Team A: 42 reg wins and 40 reg losses, for 84 points

Team B: 30 reg wins, 27 reg losses and 25 OT losses, for 85 points 

The point system is broken. Should be 3 for a win, 2 for a tie, 1 for otl. Pretty dumb that two losses can potentially equal a win lol. 

The shooting the puck over the glass play either needs to be reviewable or amended.

No way on a close stick play like that in real time can the refs tell whether it went straight out. They made the call because of which team it was and the time left in the game 100%.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This is exactly what this team is capable of. 

Not because we don't have Markstrom, Stecher or Tanev anymore. 

We have the talent to compete.

It's all a matter of chemistry and consistency and luckily this team is starting to put it together like the team from August 2020.

I agree.

I think the first month was actually the outlier.  A large chorus of 'this team sucks' around here, with the usual doom and gloom, the panic, the drama, the pitchforks wanting heads to roll - but I take the bookends - last season and the bubble - and this past month - as more significant/indicative of where they are in the long game.

That first month - without much camp, preseason, practice time and a ridiculous schedule - was tailored for a young team, with another handful of new faces, to fail.   I didn't have elevated 'expectations' coming in to this season, but didn't expect a dramatic step backwards either, at least if they remained relatively healthy.

But once the rust, the braincramps, the giveaways and giving away of games tightened up - and guys like Schmidt and Hamonic settling in as well - the team has been quite respectably competitive. 

And when it comes to continued winning in spite of overlapping injuries - their most lethal powerplay threat and their primary penalty killing center....that part is pretty impressive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just finished watching the game and I have to say that OT by Montreal was the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in my life, whom ever came up with that “strategy” should not only be fired but barred from the NHL for life.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

The point system is broken. Should be 3 for a win, 2 for a tie, 1 for otl. Pretty dumb that two losses can potentially equal a win lol. 

It's not broken - it was never broken until 2004-2005.  Just bring back ties. 3 x 3 OT reduced shoot-outs by 50% - because they are totally lame ... 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just finished watching the game and I have to say that OT by Montreal was the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in my life, whom ever came up with that “strategy” should not only be fired but barred from the NHL for life.

It's so bad i am surprised green didn't think of it /s

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1