The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The First Rule of Game Management? Don't talk about Game Management

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Is anyone experiencing technical difficulties on this site in the last couple of weeks?  I think I am or my posts are being deleted.

Are you getting errors or something? I just checked and can't see any posts that have been removed/deleted. 

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

Are you getting errors or something? I just checked and can't see any posts that have been removed/deleted. 

I've had a few posts disappear - not deleted - I just assumed it's a glitch  - not posts that were potentially seen as violations of the board rules (which I certainly make some of).   I find some extreme lag at times as well - depending on the browser - and get logged off all the time, sometimes after just a minute or two of inactivity.   I just chalk it up to 'karma'.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Looking for penalties to call is a large part of a refs job, otherwise all they'd be there to do is call goals.

see the highlight reel of the "penalty" Tim Peel was "looking" for...

context is important but so is semantics. I think you misunderstood my meaning of "looking"

a refs job is to officiate the game, not have a predisposition to call a penalty that really isn't one in order to "manage the game"

• Cheers 2

The inconsistency and apparent bias are certainly problems, but what's unforgiveable is the indifference to players' safety.  When a ref sees someone get drilled from behind 5 ft. from the boards and doesn't call boarding or lets a slew foot go, they are endangering players' health and livelihoods.  A lot of the fault lies with the league office that makes a big deal of minor hooking, holding or slashing, but wants to keep the really dangerous stuff in the game and give supplemental discipline when it isn't called on the ice.  How about making player safety a consistent and preventative focus?  Maybe you'd lose some of the cave man demographic but way more people want to watch skill.  The league, being the gong show that it is, wants to have it all ways, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Micallef on 650, heaping derision on the idea of calling what's in the rule book.  What a tool.  Perfect example of how broken establishment hockey culture is.  The favourite line of reasoning seems to be "we can't enforce the rules perfectly so we shouldn't even try, and do game management instead".  Where do you even begin?

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

The inconsistency and apparent bias are certainly problems, but what's unforgiveable is the indifference to players' safety.  When a ref sees someone get drilled from behind 5 ft. from the boards and doesn't call boarding or lets a slew foot go, they are endangering players' health and livelihoods.  A lot of the fault lies with the league office that makes a big deal of minor hooking, holding or slashing, but wants to keep the really dangerous stuff in the game and give supplemental discipline when it isn't called on the ice.  How about making player safety a consistent and preventative focus?  Maybe you'd lose some of the cave man demographic but way more people want to watch skill.  The league, being the gong show that it is, wants to have it all ways, though.

Exactly.  The league has been far too slack - for far too long - and that is part of what infuriated guys like Lemieux (was never a Lemieux - or Pens - fan, but he had a case).

I also loathe the phenomena of the "reputation" penalty - absolutely unprofessional garbage that in it's essence waters down the "objectivity" - and consistency - that ought to be primary goals of officiating.  It's one thing to send a message to dirty/dangerous players - and another to pick whipping boy targets (ie Roussel) - and target them continuously with a hair- trigger.

The fact that "game management" is even a term - is problematic imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Wtf did fraser say?

he said the whole situation was "bad optics" for the league. He mentioned that the league had to fire Peel because of the optics. Went onto mention Good referee's Have to have Hockey IQ, Defended Peel and then ranted on how great of a referee he became, despite having little man syndrome.

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

he said the whole situation was "bad optics" for the league. He mentioned that the league had to fire Peel because of the optics. Went onto mention Good referee's Have to have Hockey IQ, Defended Peel and then ranted on how great of a referee he became, despite having little man syndrome.

Oh i meant what did fraser say to make mario jump out of the box to attack him

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Koharski was a gong show.

I thought Don got a lot better after his yelling match with the coach.

Losing that weight got him in shape enough to keep up with most plays.

Sobering up gave him better eyesight and judgement.

I took his lesson as a prime example of how sometimes people can say mean things, that end up helping you.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

I thought Don got a lot better after his yelling match with the coach.

Losing that weight got him in shape enough to keep up with most plays.

Sobering up gave him better eyesight and judgement.

I took his lesson as a prime example of how sometimes people can say mean things, that end up helping you.

We're talking Schoenfeld and donuts here?  Now that was a classic hot mic moment.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're missing the point. Certainly during the course of a game, one team will gain from the other being penalized. That being said every team has been on the bad side of a bs call in the NHL. The amount of non calls that have occurred on dangerous plays is immense, and that type of inconsistency ends up endangering the average player's safety, as what is a clear violation of game rules doesn't get called and the player committing the infraction now believes that they can continually get away with the same infraction regardless of the harm that it causes to an opposing player. 

As well, when players on one team begin to clutch and hold, like Montreal seems to enjoy doing this season, and don't get called for it, but their opponent does get called for the same infraction, it shows that the officiating staff have little to no standards that dictate their performance. Certainly it is a fast paced game and officials are human, but I've personally seen way too many blown calls that were obvious to the naked eye, that were missed (or ignored), and seen way too many phantom calls on what was not an infraction. 

You're actually missing my point considering you responded to me first with arguments that don't apply to what I was saying.

The league needs to be held responsible, it's pretty obvious imo the league stepped in after Burke publicly called the league out for the amount of calls that were being made early in the season. Then all of a sudden the penalty calls dropped dramatically, that's because the league told their employees(refs) to stop calling everyone and basically game management the rest of the games. Point is the refs are just doing what the league is telling them to do, just this ref forgot to keep his mouth shut about it, but it's because of the NHL and how they're managing it.

• Cheers 4