The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The First Rule of Game Management? Don't talk about Game Management

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

And people say we are being paranoid about how the refs constantly screw over the Canucks.

To be fair, this is evidence that this type of activity has affected more teams than just the Canucks.  :)

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

This situation brings to mind a scene from "The King of Hockey", an old film on hockey (surprise!).

There is a part where the star player is sent to the penalty box, which he doesn't mind because he can chat up the woman he is courting. The woman's little sister asks him, "Why aren't you skating?" His response is, "...That referee out there is penalty crazy."

When they showed this on HNIC (in segments over several weeks), they altered the scene just a bit, and when he makes the comment about the referee, the guys at the CBC inserted a few seconds of footage of Paul Stewart (the scene starts at 21:00ish, but sadly, doesn't include the Paul Stewart insert).

regards,  G.

Is there anybody who watches hockey regularly who believes that Tim Peel was acting alone?  A lone bad apple?  C'mon NHL, we all know what's going on here.  They need to fire ALL the referees and start again.  Until that happens I'm not giving any of my money to the NHL.  I mean I still love hockey I just hate the NHL.  I've long suspected them of monkeying with the refereeing but now we have a tiny bit of proof.  But like I said to begin with, does anybody who watches hockey really believe that this is an isolated case?

Go Canucks Go!  (Go F yourself NHL)

• Like 1

I understand why he was canned - he should never had actually said that. But honestly, game management has always been a part of their jobs. I’ve come to accept that, and actually can kind of understand it. Imagine if the Canucks were being particularly careless and got called for 8 infractions while the other team got none. We’d be outraged and calling for a ref’s head. That’s where game management comes in, whether you think it’s right or wrong. There’s a balancing out for the most part, and serious infractions are still called.

It’s far from a perfect system, but this is more than a sports business; it’s also an entertainment business. All of that said, some nights it seems like refs are more interested in hurting a team’s chances than trying to keep a game somewhat balanced and managed, and that’s where it becomes sour for me.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Correct. Too easy for the NHL here to just scapegoat a retiring guy, move on and pretend nothing happened and nothing's wrong. 

Make no mistake, Peel was 'disciplined' because he embarrassed the NHL. It has nothing to do with managing the game or integrity of the game, and everything to do with saying the quiet part out loud. 

Just as further proof that the NHL is scapegoating Peel why is there no mention of who Peel was talking to? Obviously someone he feels comfortable enough to say it to knowing it’ll be acceptable and kept in confidence. Just as damning for the other person.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Just as further proof that the NHL is scapegoating Peel why is there no mention of who Peel was talking to? Obviously someone he feels comfortable enough to say it to knowing it’ll be acceptable and kept in confidence. Just as damning for the other person.

99% chance it was Sutherland. You can hear the other guy saying "yeah, I know" while Peel is talking. I don't think that's the kind of thing you talk about outside of the "wall of striped silence"

• Cheers 1

Matt Duchene's perspective:

After Viktor Arvidsson was called for tripping Jon Merrill on Tuesday, a voice was heard on the broadcast saying, "It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a &^@#in' penalty against Nashville early in the ..." before the audio cut out.

"He told our bench that, so I mean, really bizarre. I just think it can’t happen," Predators forward Matt Duchene said on the ‘Robby & Rexrode’ show on ESPN radio Wednesday morning. "Imagine the scenario where they score on that power play, we lose the game and we miss the playoffs by a point. Imagine that scenario. That can happen, right? That can happen based on — that’s not out of the realm of possibility. I don’t think there’s a place in hockey for that. You’ve got to call the game. I’ve always been frustrated when I see even-up calls."

Sums it up pretty good. Nothing more to say.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Cheers 4

And the guy would happily retire like he originally planned. But because he was mic’d he loses the job and is painted as the Tim Donaghy of the NHL. The league hopes this story will go away but I hope they just opened Pandora’s times up box for them. The league needs to be investigated into the grass roots of the Colin Campbell’s of the NHL. That will take a lot of pull from owners to allow that to happen. At least the hockey world is woke today and hope the noise remains loud. We all knew it was happening, now we got the smoking gun and wire to prove it.

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

99% chance it was Sutherland. You can hear the other guy saying "yeah, I know" while Peel is talking. I don't think that's the kind of thing you talk about outside of the "wall of striped silence"

Exactly, and the NHL knows it and just Peel is gone. Crickets about Sutherland.

• Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I understand why he was canned - he should never had actually said that. But honestly, game management has always been a part of their jobs. I’ve come to accept that, and actually can kind of understand it. Imagine if the Canucks were being particularly careless and got called for 8 infractions while the other team got none. We’d be outraged and calling for a ref’s head. That’s where game management comes in, whether you think it’s right or wrong. There’s a balancing out for the most part, and serious infractions are still called.

It’s far from a perfect system, but this is more than a sports business; it’s also an entertainment business. All of that said, some nights it seems like refs are more interested in hurting a team’s chances than trying to keep a game somewhat balanced and managed, and that’s where it becomes sour for me.

Well this kind of leads to a classic "did the chicken or the egg come first" argument. 

You could argue that no game management would've conditioned players to be careful at all times to not get penalized and be aware of the rules at all times - like I'm sure the players know game management exists and have trained themselves on how to play accordingly. Game management has probably incentivized players to play a certain way depending on who's "turn" it is to get a penalty. 

As for this issue in general, it looks like Tim Peel is just going to be the scapegoat for this entire thing. Unless the owners and/or players make a concerted effort to use this as an opportunity to point this out as a major problem, nothing is going to be done. At the very least, I hope journalists like Friedman and LeBrun ask the league some hard questions around this. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan