The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Trade Tiers

Canucks trade tiers

Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal: Looking at the trade tiers for the Vancouver Canucks.

Not moving – Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat, Nate Schmidt, Tyler Myers, Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel, Loui Eriksson, Braden Holtby, Thatcher Demko, Michael Ferland, Nils Hoglander, and Jack Rathbone.

Not moving unless it’s a blockbuster – Brock Boeser, and Kole Lind.

Will he waive mixtape, volume 5 – Alex Edler.

Everything must go – Tanner Pearson, Brandon Sutter, Jordie Benn, Travis Hamonic (has later said he won’t waive his NMC).

Aggressively being shopped already – Jake Virtanen.

You have to consider it – Adam Gaudette, Tyler Motte. Zack MacEwen, Jalen Chatfield, Jayce Hawryluk, and Olli Juolevi.

Unlikely, but you hope it happens for all involved – Sven Baertschi.

Salary matching possibility – Josh Teves.

Really, really disappointing that Loui Eriksson is assigned to the category "not moving".  Blown away that the two authors think that it needs a Blockbuster trade for Kole Lind. What's so special about Kole Lind? He's a secound round pick, not even a natural center with a mediocre production in the minors. Maybe I have missed something about Kole Lind. Jake is probably the most agressively shopped player around the league and we're still waiting ....

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lind is being, well attempted at being, groomed as a C and we're very low on C stock so thats probably the thinking there 

I agree.  Aside from Podkolzin, Lind is probably also the closest forward prospect to making the jump next year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin and Lind in the line-up next year.  Gadjovich's having quite a year but this is the first real sign that he could still have a future, so I assume that's why he's not listed anywhere. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Really, really disappointing that Loui Eriksson is assigned to the category "not moving".  Blown away that the two authors think that it needs a Blockbuster trade for Kole Lind. What's so special about Kole Lind? He's a secound round pick, not even a natural center with a mediocre production in the minors. Maybe I have missed something about Kole Lind. Jake is probably the most agressively shopped player around the league and we're still waiting ....

Maybe it's more about the fact that there aren't any takers for Loui. I highly doubt JB would turn down a trade offer for Loui that doesn't have us taking back a long term/high priced contract or trading away draft picks.

I can't think of any team that would want Loui, even to meet the cap ceiling, when they have the option of taking on players who can still contribute.

You shouldn’t be disappointed about LE being on the “not moving” category. 

We’ve endured 5 years. No way would I shed assets to move him now. I’ll take the one more year of LE’s cap hit 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui Eriksson on the not moving list is because nobody wants him and Benning would have to sacrifice a 1st round pick in order to get rid of him, which he obviously is not going to do.

A first might not be sufficient.

An executive told Staples that he doesn’t think 2 x 1st + Komarov would bring back Hall and he doesn’t even think Hall alone can bring back a 1st.  He thinks Komarov is pretty much unmovable given the flat cap.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We’ve endured 5 years. No way would I shed assets to move him now. I’ll take the one more year of LE’s cap hit 

yeah to burn a 1st now to save 4 mil in cap would be dumb. Sit his ass in upstate NY, play Lind instead on his ELC, or just buy him out. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
Canucks trade tiers

Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal: Looking at the trade tiers for the Vancouver Canucks.

Not moving – Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat, Nate Schmidt, Tyler Myers, Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel, Loui Eriksson, Braden Holtby, Thatcher Demko, Michael Ferland, Nils Hoglander, and Jack Rathbone.

Not moving unless it’s a blockbuster – Brock Boeser, and Kole Lind.

Will he waive mixtape, volume 5 – Alex Edler.

Everything must go – Tanner Pearson, Brandon Sutter, Jordie Benn, Travis Hamonic (has later said he won’t waive his NMC).

Aggressively being shopped already – Jake Virtanen.

You have to consider it – Adam Gaudette, Tyler Motte. Zack MacEwen, Jalen Chatfield, Jayce Hawryluk, and Olli Juolevi.

Unlikely, but you hope it happens for all involved – Sven Baertschi.

Salary matching possibility – Josh Teves.

We need to differentiate "not moving" with new category: "can't move."

Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby, Ferland (LTIR), Hamonic (will not waive), Edler (will not waive).

• Thanks 2

I'd be very cautious moving any guys on ELC who are already playing or close to playing regularly (Lind/Rathbone/OJ/Hogs/Lind/MDP/ect).  

After re-signing EP/Huggy/Demko we'll need a few guys playing key roles on ELC to stay competitive and there's still legitimate unknowns about the cap moving into future seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, khay said:

We need to differentiate "not moving" with new category: "can't move."

Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby, Ferland (LTIR), Hamonic (will not waive), Edler (will not waive).

Am I missing something on Roussel? What can't he be moved, other than the obvious?

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Add Drance to the everything must go list.

lol 

I'd put him on "impossible to trade" list along with Eriksson and Roussel.

Actually i don't know why he gets so much heat on here. The guy is a bit pessimistic in his views about the team but I feel like that's no big deal? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lind is being, well attempted at being, groomed as a C and we're very low on C stock so thats probably the thinking there 

I can't claim that I've seen a lot of his game (other than a few highlights), but his stats from last year indicate that he is a physical player that has a high scoring upside.  Last year he was 20 yrs old and had a lot more points than Reid Boucher at the same age (who we all know had the scoring magic, but couldn't play the rest of the game).

So...we may end up with; a physical C, plays the complete game, has offensive upside. Scouting reports indicate that Kole is fast skater with good edge work and a heavy shot.  His projection in many reports was 2nd RW.

I think it will take him some time to evolve into an NHL 3C (if ever), but he with his skillset and size, he will likely fit somewhere in the linup in the near future.

Too bad he's developing his game during the Covid years.  He's had a great start this year, but I wonder how many games his team will see over the season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

LE will get bought out this summer. Its the first year where buying him out would actually save us something on the cap. Would drop our hit next season to 4 million and only cost us 1 million hit on the following year. Considering some of the deals who were available last summer due to the flat cap, I think Benning will look at who he could sign based on that added 2 million and decide its good asset management to do it now. Would save the Canuck 1 million in actual cash as well, so it makes sense all around.

If we need to add another veteran to replace LE, I'd rather have someone like Wayne Simmonds for a season at 1.5 million or Derick Brassard for 1 million. I'm not saying that we should run out and try and sign these 2 guys, just using a comparable on what type of depth will likely be available again this summer due to the flat cap. Teams are going to spend cautiously again.

Let's re-up Hamonic again for another year at 1.25 - 1.5 million. He's been solid since he worked the rust out of his game.

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Just opens up $6m the year after at no cost.

• Vintage 1