The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

10 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Gillis? 

Would you bring him back? Not an insider like Burkie, (in fact he was Burkie’s nemesis & rival who paid a very heavy political price for that later on) but he did read the trending  of the NHL being required to move hard towards more player safety & progressive hockey (IIHF-modelled) than any other team did.

All went rather well for him & his team until the Auger/Burrows incident was heavily exploited by the league for Jeremy Jacobs & the  Bruins benefit. 

Would you welcome a return of Mike Gillis &/or Laurence Gilman as GM & AGM again? 

Edited by viking mama

19 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

This is not Jim's fault. This whole fiasco right now is on Aqua. They cheaped out and setup this organization for failure. They are reaping what they sewed. 

It’s crazy though, if it’s about the money. They invested $25 million in Demko, when there wasn’t a rush to get that extension done (had plenty of time), but don’t pay the pennies on the dollar (we’re talking maybe a few 100k per year) to secure Clark and protect that $5 million per year investment in Demko. And they had money to re-sign Pearson, who also costs cap space, but no money for Clark? It’s mind boggling stuff. And now Demko is literally pleading with the team to get something done to keep Clark. While DiPietro also just raves about Clark and how important he’s been in Mikey’s development. These are our future goalies, and, in Demko, a main core asset on a big ticket contract. Just ridiculous not to invest the money in Clark that protects the value of these assets and investments. Makes no sense, from a business standpoint, and even less sense, hockey wise.

I really hope we get a pleasant surprise and they somehow smooth things out with Clark (after basically showing him zero respect, based on what’s the norm in these situations, and especially for a coach/consultant of his stature). and get him extended and locked in for the next several years. Not holding my breath, but still holding our hope. 

I really don’t want to have a freak out, but this Clark thing has kind of become the rubicon for me. I’m basically done with ownership (and management too—even if this issue 100% ownership driven, it’s completely dysfunctional that management can’t make the decision to keep Clark, and I’d have no faith in the ownership/management relationship being workable, as far as any future team success), if as key asset like Clark is simply allowed to walk.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s crazy though, if it’s about the money. They invested $25 million in Demko, when there wasn’t a rush to get that extension done (had plenty of time), but don’t pay the pennies on the dollar (we’re talking maybe a few 100k per year) to secure Clark and protect that $5 million per year investment in Demko. And they had money to re-sign Pearson, who also costs cap space, but no money for Clark? It’s mind boggling stuff. And now Demko is literally pleading with the team to get something done to keep Clark. While DiPietro also just raves about Clark and how important he’s been in Mikey’s development. These are our future goalies, and, in Demko, a main core asset on a big ticket contract. Just ridiculous not to invest the money in Clark that protects the value of these assets and investments. Makes no sense, from a business standpoint, and even less sense, hockey wise.

I really hope we get a pleasant surprise and they somehow smooth things out with Clark (after basically showing him zero respect, based on what’s the norm in these situations, and especially for a coach/consultant of his stature). and get him extended and locked in for the next several years. Not holding my breath, but still holding our hope. 

I really don’t want to have a freak out, but this Clark thing has kind of become the rubicon for me. I’m basically done with ownership (and management too—even if this issue 100% ownership driven, it’s completely dysfunctional that management can’t make the decision to keep Clark, and I’d have no faith in the ownership/management relationship being workable, as far as any future team success), if as key asset like Clark is simply allowed to walk.

Apparently Aqua is one of a group of owners who are mad about the rising salary of coaches and executives that was driven by Toronto. They are willing to kick themselves to suppress salaries. I mean typical billionaire move. The reason they are fine spending to the cap is because they are obligated to share 50% of revenue so they will have to pay for that more or less regardless of anything else, but coach and exec salaries is something they can control and contribute to the bottom line. 

1 hour ago, Apricot said:

I had a nightmare that Clark left and signed with the Leafs.

GOD if this ever happened, I would genuinely jump off a cliff.

They already have our former assistant GM in GIlman and asst coach in Malholtra, it would fit the trend lol

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah it makes absolutely no sense. It looks from the outside like jumping from decision to decision without a clear plan.

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

They already have our former assistant GM in GIlman and asst coach in Malholtra, it would fit the trend lol

Then they would win the cup with our coaching staff while Aquaman and Benning would be holding the bag lol. 

Probably worthwhile to gather all these quotes into one post.

Holtby:

DiPietro:

Demko:

Every goaltender of significance in this organization sees Clark as one of the best, if not the very best, goalie coach/consultant in the world.

They all want him here.

They all believe Clark makes them better.

The two younger goalies (Demko and DiPietro) credit Clark for their success as pros and their development into the players they are today.

And they feel that Clark staying to critical to continuing the work, and making them the best NHL goaltenders they can be.

These guys (especially Demko) have been practically begging management/ownership to just figure it the **** out and do whatever is necessary to get a deal done, before it’s too late (if it’s not too late already).

Hopefully we hear good news soon, now that the decision has been made on Green.

Because I’m probably gonna lose my ****, if it’s bad news.

“Running out of time” on Clark would be sheer idiocy.

So I really hope the team has been in communication with Clark, and he was willing to wait for this all to play out, or he had been privately given some assurances, and will now get re-signed and announced shortly.

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Holtby:

DiPietro:

Demko:

Every goaltender of significance in this organization sees Clark as one of the best, if not the very best, goalie coach/consultant in the world.

They all want him here.

The two younger goalies (Demko and DiPietro) credit Clark for their success as pros and their development into the players they are today.

And they feel that Clark staying to critical to continuing the work, and making them the best NHL goaltenders they can be.

These guys (especially Demko) have been practically begging management/ownership to just figure it the **** out and do whatever is necessary to get a deal done, before it’s too late (if it’s not too late already).

So I really hope the team has been in communication with Clark, and he was willing to wait for this all to play out, or he had been privately given some assurances, and will now get re-signed and announced shortly.

Problem being that negotiations aren't one sided. The goalies, management and ownership could all be aligned on wanting him to be back but if he has another goalie he'd like to work with and/or wants to be out East etc and is set to do so, there's very little anyone in the Canucks organization can do about it.

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Holtby:

DiPietro:

Demko:

They all want him here.

100% this.  I've said it throughout a number of these threads. 

Benning I'm just so-so with him staying, could have been other choices that might be better for this team going forward but ultimately will let next year be the true measuring stick one way or the other.  

Green, I'm okay with.  Seems the team buys in enough and his track record with the young guys has been pretty effective.  Remains to be seen if he can get better with the core maturing into seasoned vets.  Hopefully not more than a 4 year extention.

Brown and Baumgartner in my view have passed their best before dates.  Stale and predictable.  I think the young core need new ideas and needed to be used in a more effective system catering more to their strengths.  

Ian Clark.... Please for the live of God find anyway possible to keep this man!!!!  I'll be Soooo pissed if they let him walk.  If he leave because he really wanted to move on for non canuck management reasons then I'll sadly say goodbye and thank you but if it's because he's felt like he's been disrespected by the ownership or management.... I just don't wanna go there... Maybe the sky wouldn't be falling but not to far off.  I really hope we hear great news of a 4 years extention! GIF by reactionseditor

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Problem being that negotiations aren't one sided. The goalies, management and ownership could all be aligned on wanting him to be back but if he has another goalie he'd like to work with and/or wants to be out East etc and is set to do so, there's very little anyone in the Canucks organization can do about it.

Sure. But leaving things this late would be the reason why Clark might now have moved on from the Canucks and have other alternatives lined up.

So let’s not set up a ready made excuse, for Benning and Aquilini, if things go sour.

It will be the fault of management/ownership, if Clark isn’t brought back.

I saw absolutely nothing through 2019 or 2020 to indicate Clark wanted anything other than the come back and finish the work he’d started with the Canucks and the goalies. He wasn’t unhappy. Quite the opposite, based on everything we’ve seen and heard over the past couple years. He had great relationships with the goalies. He has the type of role he wanted, with input into draft picks and signings (when it came to goalies), as well as his regular, day to day coaching duties. And he had two young guys, in Demko and DiPietro, who he can really have an impact on and possibly even build up into Vezina contenders. 

He should have been fairly easy to extend, if approached early, offered fair compensation, and treated with the level of respect he deserves.

But we also knew that things could get messy if the Canucks made him wait. It’s been talked about to death. This isn’t a guy you leave to the last minute and then circle back and hope to sign to an 11th hour extension. Clark likes certainty. And he’s done enough in his career to earn it. He always has other options, and he will start to make other plans, if he’s left on the back burner, and doesn’t get the sense he’s a priority, being shown the appropriate respect, or that his continued employment with the team is guaranteed.

Clark is now rumoured to have interest from teams like Florida, Toronto, and Calgary. I’d imagine that list grows to a dozen or more teams, if he’s not re-signed the week, and becomes a free agent on the market.

It’s not lip service when all these people in hockey say that Clarkie is the best. It’s the truth. I’ve never heard otherwise, whether from fans, media, or the actual folks working in the biz. He’s consistently seen as top-3 in the world, and those who like him say, without a doubt, he’s #1.

That’s an asset you do everything in your power to keep, and it’s pretty clear that the Canucks have not.

Word is they are now “taking a run” at re-signing Clarkie, finally.

They really should have been working on signing him to an extension a year ago.

(Hopefully they were doing so, quietly, and this last step is mostly a formality, but the extension is already basically agreed on and they just need to put pen to paper.)

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

All the ledge sitting over a bloody goalie coach.  C'mon people

Who has done tremendous work with Markstrom and Demko. What’s it to you ? Ian is one of the silver linings in all of this. Why would we not try to keep him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

All the ledge sitting over a bloody goalie coach.  C'mon people

It’s not just about the coach.

The Canucks can survive replacing Clark. They will probably lose some amounts of wins, just from the drop off in talent, when it comes to the coach/consultant developing the goalie prospects, and maintaining/improving Demko’s game, but it’s not all that dire, in the big picture. A lot of the work is already done, and can be continued by Sanford, who has been working alongside Clark and is familiar with his methods and approaches.

It’s more about what it tells us about the front office, and how it’s currently funcitoning.

The team has an asset in Clark that they almost certainly cannot improve upon. He was happy here and willing to stay on. He’s universally praised by the goalies he works with (and the other players—Myers just added another statement in support of Clark). He’s viewed in the hockey world as one of, if not the best, goaltending coach/consultant in the world. And even Benning said he wanted to bring Clark back. But ownership appears to have been blocking management, when it came to making timely decisions on the coaching staff. Otherwise, it’s pretty obvious that Clark would be re-signed already. 

It’s always a bad thing when the owners start sidelining management on decisions that the GM should have been granted the authority to make. It points to a bad situation in the front office.

The Clark issue is just an obvious symptom of the underlying illness.

And it’s also just a brutal unforced error, if he’s simply allowed to walk.

Survivable? Absolutely. A downgrade in the goalie coach should not sink any team, and the Canucks will be okay, whatever happens.

But it will mean that we have a front office that wasn’t able to complete what was basically a layup, when it came to extending a non-cap contract that would have retained one of the very best people in the world (possibly the best), in a key role. And with our roster structure and game plan/systems being so dependent on us getting quality goaltending, in order to be competitive, keeping Clark in his role should have been a no-brainer for the folks running hockey ops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sure. But leaving things this late would be the reason why Clark might now have moved on from the Canucks and have other alternatives lined up.

So let’s not set up a ready made excuse, for Benning and Aquilini, if things go sour.

It will be the fault of management/ownership, if Clark isn’t brought back.

I saw absolutely nothing through 2019 or 2020 to indicate Clark wanted anything other than the come back and finish the work he’d started with the Canucks and the goalies. He wasn’t unhappy. Quite the opposite, based on everything we’ve seen and heard over the past couple years. He had great relationships with the goalies. He has the type of role he wanted, with input into draft picks and signings (when it came to goalies), as well as his regular, day to day coaching duties. And he had two young guys, in Demko and DiPietro, who he can really have an impact on and possibly even build up into Vezina contenders. 

He should have been fairly easy to extend, if approached early, offered fair compensation, and treated with the level of respect he deserves.

But we also knew that things could get messy if the Canucks made him wait. It’s been talked about to death. This isn’t a guy you leave to the last minute and then circle back and hope to sign to an 11th hour extension. Clark likes certainty. And he’s done enough in his career to earn it. He always has other options, and he will start to make other plans, if he’s left on the back burner, and doesn’t get the sense he’s a priority, being shown the appropriate respect, or that his continued employment with the team is guaranteed.

Clark is now rumoured to have interest from teams like Florida, Toronto, and Calgary. I’d imagine that list grows to a dozen or more teams, if he’s not re-signed the week, and becomes a free agent on the market.

It’s not lip service when all these people in hockey say that Clarkie is the best. It’s the truth. I’ve never heard otherwise, whether from fans, media, or the actual folks working in the biz. He’s consistently seen as top-3 in the world, and those who like him say, without a doubt, he’s #1.

That’s an asset you do everything in your power to keep, and it’s pretty clear that the Canucks have not.

Word is they are now “taking a run” at re-signing Clarkie, finally.

They really should have been working on signing him to an extension a year ago.

(Hopefully they were doing so, quietly, and this last step is mostly a formality, but the extension is already basically agreed on and they just need to put pen to paper.)

Who's to say Benning hasn't been trying to sign him for a year and Clarke is the one that's been non committal?

Stop getting caught up in this market's narratives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Who has done tremendous work with Markstrom and Demko. What’s it to you ? Ian is one of the silver linings in all of this. Why would we not try to keep him?

He doesn't say they don't wanna try and sign him... but if he wants to move along, he moves along. Let's see what the future holds for him. If he signs in Edmonton its not a particularly good sign, but regardless there could be a 1000 reasons for him to move on to the next chapter of his life... 

It's hopefully not going to be a re run of the Brackett saga....