The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Half of our pk problem is on Green or Baumer more likely. It looks like if the player never played the pk for another nhl team than he will no play the pk under this coaching staff.

God we have so many problems and it all steam from the very top in Aqua!

Having Pearson-Horvat continue taking the tougher matchups should be opportunity to give an increased role to younger players in the bottom-6 given how those lines are sheltered.  At some point you’d hope they will become reliable enough to relieve pressure from the top-6.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The only way this deal is salvageable is if Sutter is no re-signed (can't trade him cause of covid) and the rumor that Beagle is essentially done are true (either ltir retired or retired retired). Beagle will be our new 3C money.

Came here to post the Beagle thing. Earlier I posted that we have no clue what else might happen as far as cap space, so essentially Pearsons cap gets washed out by Beagle and this deal makes even more sense. 

I'm all for a Horvat, Podz, Hoglander line next season but who knows how quickly Podz adjusts, having depth is a good thing and 3 million for what we know Pearson can bring is not an overpayment like so many of the young bucks posting here seem to think.

2 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I must point out that if Virtanen gets moved, this contract doesn't even register as a big deal. Tanner Pearson fits in with the team well. That plus let's maybe remind people how disheartened Bo was when we lost the players we lost last off season. Losing Tanner Pearson, when the contract is reasonable is not an option. 

Plus it looks like Beagle is done. I have a feeling a couple more contracts that end after next season get moved or bought out.

Is Pearson a decent player at 3.25m? Sure. Is there risk with age? Yes.

Should the Canucks be making deals like this when they have cheaper alternatives? No. 

Just because Beagle may be off the books doesn't mean we should be throwing money around the next place we can find. That 6 million space we had just turned into 3.

Running Miller, Hoglander, Vesey and Motte is more than enough for a transition year. The cap space should be used for extensions and finding a 3C or Top 4D.

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah, but he can make him ride a bus across the US and live in the middle of nowhere.

Ya its not like Benning hasnt done it before. So he very well could. But if the choice is between being out of the league still making millions of dollars or out of the league retired early as a favor to a GM who would say and do that to you and making nothing, what would you choose?

People need to realize that, no matter how he has played, Eriksson doesnt owe that to Benning, the Canucks, or us as fans. Benning and the Canucks also dont owe him a roster spot. I dont blame Eriksson if he plays or sits all of next season to collect what his contract owes him. Would I like him to retire early? Sure. But I dont blame him at all if he doesnt.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Yeah I've always been a JB fan, and agreed that his bigger contracts for the bottom 6 guys were ok because we needed to overpay a bit because of free agency and the fact that we weren't really a desired destination but I think this one was unnecessary and am now really questioning whether he's the right guy to be negotiating contracts. I'm a bit scared now to see how much EP and QH get for their next contract.

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

People need to realize that, no matter how he has played, Eriksson doesnt owe that to Benning, the Canucks, or us as fans. Benning and the Canucks also dont owe him a roster spot. I dont blame Eriksson if he plays or sits all of next season to collect what his contract owes him. Would I like him to retire early? Sure. But I dont blame him at all if he doesnt.

He owed the team an honest effort over the course of his contract, and he hasn't even delivered that.  Anyone with an ounce of pride would stop disgracing the organization and himself.  He clearly is not welcome here and it's time for him to go back to Sweden where he'll at least be useful to someone. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Yeah I've always been a JB fan, and agreed that his bigger contracts for the bottom 6 guys were ok because we needed to overpay a bit because of free agency and the fact that we weren't really a desired destination but I think this one was unnecessary and am now really questioning whether he's the right guy to be negotiating contracts. I'm a bit scared now to see how much EP and QH get for their next contract.

He's done just fine with Boeser, Horvat, and Demko.  He does a lot better with RFAs where he has some leverage.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

He owed the team an honest effort over the course of his contract, and he hasn't even delivered that.  Anyone with an ounce of pride would stop disgracing the organization and himself.  He clearly is not welcome here and it's time for him to go back to Sweden where he'll at least be useful to someone. 

Thats an oversimplification that actually doesnt appear to be entirely true. 

Benning "disgraced" the Canucks by signing Eriksson to a 6 year contract at his age and his overall history.

Canucks coaches "disgraced" the team by not being able to do what Boston did and play Eriksson in a very specific way with linemates who allowed him to utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. His last year in Boston was not a fluke. It came down to proper utilization.

Eriksson "disgraced" the Canucks simply by not playing well and not being worth the insane contract Benning gave him. From what I have read he is in good shape, works hard, and has sucked it up having a part time role now without complaint.

He hasnt worked out in Van. Simple as that. Lots of blame to go around. That doesnt mean he is lazy, etc.

4 hours ago, Davathor said:

I just listened to the 650 Patterson clip, brought up a lot of good points.

Flat cap, he likely wouldn't have got this deal on the open market, another protection spot used up on a fringe top 6. Not a good skater and having a bad season while almost 30

Its a stupid deal with even stupider timing. I can't beleive JB hasn't learned his lesson on signing aging, slow, middle 6 vets that aren't drivers of play. Hes losing it, and I'm starting to question if he's the guy to take this team into its cup window. We're going to ice this exact team plus maybe Podkolzin next season. How does that make sense? Minus whoever we lose! 

I’m largely not in favour of this contract. That said, I think Pearson could have got it in UFA, maybe even more. There was obvious interest from other teams as a rental, so he would likely have many suitors in free agency.

This offseason will be different than last. Teams have had a year to prepare for a flat cap world. A lot of teams will have a lot of cap space this free agency, and most of them are starting to have fans in the building already. A number of teams that spent little this season look ready to take the next step (such as LA and New Jersey), and will likely look to free agency to bolster their roster.

Plus there is an expansion team coming in, who will be taking salaries off the books of other teams (both of good players, and for side deals for taking bad contracts). This will also result in 23 more roster spots to fill, so it’s a further dilution of talent league-wide.

And on top of that, COVID has affected all NHL farm teams, and hence interrupted the development of numerous players that would have been looked to for taking the next step, and may have normally been ready to fill in for the additional roster spots, and retired players. Teams will have less confidence than ever that their AHL players are ready for the next step, and as such will be hitting the UFA market to plug holes.

So again, I’m largely not in favour of this deal. I would have much preferred trading Pearson for a pick/prospect, and then attempting to re-sign him in free agency. But at the same time, considering the above, it may not have worked out, and possibly cost us even more.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

These are the stat lines for left winners over this season and last (gotta take the bad with the good) Pearson is ranked at #40 as we speak despite missing a bunch of time this year.

15 points less than Hall (8 million)

15 points less than Kreider (6.5 million)

13 points less than Schwartz (5.35 million)

6 points less than Lee (7 million)

3 points less than Benn (9.5 million)

3 points less than Parise (7.5 million)

2 points more than Saad (6 million)

5 points more than Zucker (5.5 million)

7 points more than Gusev (4.5 million)

9 points more than Foligno (5.5 million)

And people are butthurt about 3.25 million. :picard:

The contract price is actually decent.   BOI did a good job as have some others explaining why.    He wasn't going to sign for 2 anywhere that's a bad joke, 2.5?  Doubtful too.  One guy on our team other teams  are interested in and they should be.    For me at least, it's the fact the money is no longer available to do something else with.   All Pearson has to do is keep doing what he's doing on the second line and it's good value for that spot.   But C's and D's are are achilles heel at the point medium term.   DIR, Stawns and others are level headed about it, i've been hoping to trade Pearson for a year now, of course he goes out and gets injured.    Wonder what Hyman and Coleman will get....

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Don't be too worried, at this point there isn't enough money to give them too much lol, same thing he did when he signed BB.    

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

We do need a depth C. I have zero problem bringing Sutter back at an appropriate pay rate.

That's completely unrealistic. Pearson was never signing for less than $2.5-$3m.

Besides Sutter and Beagle being overpaid because we needed to keep/attract key C's to a bottom feeder and the toilet deal that Eriksson is, we don't have a 'ton'.

Nope. The freak out over paying a solid, two way, +/- 40 point, middle 6 forward that fits well on our team, market value, is silly.

We lost Tanev to gain Schmidt. Win. We lost Toffoli because of Covid (or I'll grant you Eriksson).

Ok.

You have zero problem bringing Sutter back? That's nuts.  If he wasn't going to sign for that much...you let him walk.  We don't need more overpaid vets and bloated NTC contracts.

Hmm we currently have Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Baertschi, Roussel, Virtanen and Ferland as overpaid - with Pearson being added to that list next season.  How many more do we need before we have a ton?

We didn't need to lose either Tanev or Toffoli, if we hadn't signed a 4.3M backup and traded Virtanent we could've kept Toffoli.  The mental gymnastics employed here to justify each and every one of Benning's blunders is astounding.  

• Sad 1

This Beagle narrative is simply ridiculous. Let’s assume Beagle is done, so that means we can turn tight around and blow that cap space on a guy that is clearly in decline and frankly wasting top 6 minutes? 

makes zero sense

like winning the lottery and taking all the money to buy more lottery tickets

and then the Green/JB cult wonder why this team can’t make the playoffs while constantly paying to the cap 

inexcusable incompetence 

• Like 1