The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

US women team is deep. Even when the favorite drops out, they win Gold. Congrats.  Her story is neat too.  Dad recently fell and is now wheelchair bound. 

Tweet indicates first time a female of  asian descent wins.:

Research shows:

Suni Lee is the first individual winner of the gold in all round; however the entire Chinese team won the team all around gold in 2008.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Interesting how there's been zero official olympic coverage on possible doping infractions, and yet all over Indian media, there's talk about a gold medal awarded at these games possibly being stripped from China and going to India.

Is it hush-hush by the IOC, for fear of upsetting the host of their next games in less than a year?  Or is it pressure from across the strait?  Both?

From https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4259733 :

Yeah.. not to mention some of the Chinese athletes in the women's events look / are men.

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Tweet indicates first time a female of  asian descent wins.:

Research shows:

Suni Lee is the first individual winner of the gold in all round; however the entire Chinese team won the team all around gold in 2008.

I think we can all agree that a human being, labeled as gender female, from MN, USA, won the gold in individual all around artistic gymnastics.  All the categorizations can go on and on.  But since it is the Olympics, a gold for US it is.  Hopefully no doping or Marijuana disqualifications. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah.. not to mention some of the Chinese athletes in the women's events look / are men.

LOL. A pop of 1.4 billion, they can easily find the rare extremes of human variation that will excel at a certain event.  They have the political will and money invested in atheletics. You ever wonder why poor and small countries don't win Olympic medals often?   Why does US always win ton of medals every time?  Better doping or more money and investment?  Maybe both. Lance Armstrong was pretty good at it. 

China win a lot of men's event too.  Then you have guys saying they are all doping. Whatever.  

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

LOL. A pop of 1.4 billion, they can easily find the rare extremes of human variation that will excel at a certain event.  They have the political will and money invested in atheletics. You ever wonder why poor and small countries don't win Olympic medals often?   Why does US always win ton of medals every time?  Better doping or more money and investment?  Maybe both. Lance Armstrong was pretty good at it. 

China win a lot of men's event too.  Then you have guys saying they are all doping. Whatever.  

image.jpeg.eb5d951dadc0a560e1cc88816cc5c7fc.jpeg

You’re telling me you believe all of the above were born as a female? I’m Chinese and I find it extremely suspicious.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Vintage 2

Is backstroke for the swimmers that dont like getting their face in the water?

Breaststroke has a cool name when it should be called the Froggie

Why dont they have races for side stroke or dog paddle? or 50m underwater races - if I recall its faster to swim under water than to do the breast stroke.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, AV's Coin said:

Oleksiak 4th by 7 hundreths.

Once again she closed the best but was too far behind. Long and slow stroke - pure power at the end.

If she picked up her turnover she could be unbeatable maybe?

She admitted she lost water on the turn, which Byron MacDonald mentioned too. Hell of a field in that final. 4th by .07 shows how close that competition in the pool was. Barely out touched, and one hell of an Olympics for her. 3 more years of competition, will she be good to go? Canada hopes so.

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, 250Integra said:

image.jpeg.eb5d951dadc0a560e1cc88816cc5c7fc.jpeg

You’re telling me you believe all of the above were born as a female? I’m Chinese and I find it extremely suspicious.

Are you saying that they no longer compete in the three legged race? B)

• Haha 2

Why is there no football(American) in the Olympics? Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, AV's Coin said:

also if you go here you can watch some old matches for free or pay for live ones

https://www.volleyballworld.tv/home

I'm trying to watch the beach game - but I've never been drawn to it (aside from the beautiful women - and I was a player, so...I like volleyball girls)...

I'm interested in your thoughts on the beach game - which for me is just too indefensible.  

Simply too easy to find so much space - court is too large for two players, and footing is loose/slower = too few rallies - far too easy to kill - for me it's like watching tennis when you have a couple 6'8" servers who blast away (usually with one dimensional baseline games to go with that) - endless short rallies - incredibly boring.

I think the beach game needs to change - needs to be a three player game - that way you could actually defend the court - I think it would be a lot more interesting (you might also get a bit more variation in the type(s) of players that could be successful at the beach game).

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Make a 4-some, double the "beautiful women" factor... :bigblush:

Bansley/Wilkerson just beat a U.S. team to move on the the quarterfinals. Works for me ... I have no problem with Brandi Wilkerson filling up my TV screen. Beautiful girl.