The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Disgruntler said:

Watched a YouTube video of all the goals scored by the Canucks in the 2011 playoff run. What an effing team that was, and boy were we spoiled, regardless of the outcome (which is we won, obvi).

Not sure of my point, but that was a TEAM. By all definitions. And I love our kids today, but we're missing.... SOMEthing. Not sure what it is exactly, but there's a special little something that I'm just not feeling with the group. That mix of character, the sprinkle of salty douche factor (not too much tho), speed and creativity and swagger and ... this crew doesn't have it yet.

This year is no year to find it, truly, either. But management and coaching must brew something up soon, because I feel like a lot of folks are starting to drift away from this team. I am. But I don't WANT to. 

For sure it's missing from this team...  I mean Horvat and Miller are a good start, but we need a bit of edge.  

Lind and Gadjovich both would provide that, but they're far from being regular NHLers (especially Jonah).  

Now the other thing that we're missing is the top two players in the league.  It's fine and dandy to have Elias and Quinn, but they're not top 10 at their position.  Closest we have is Demko, who's capable of being a top 10 goalie when he's in a groove (hell maybe even top 5). 

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

why do you even watch hockey if it's so bad now?

also it seems it might be easy to dunk on these players

i didnt know I was giving off the impression that I didn't like the current state of hockey? I think the league is better than its ever been. I'm the only person I know who likes gary bettman.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I think we traded that pick linden vey. Splendid job Jim

I think that was the pick from Bieksa. Not sure. Regardless the answer is we drafted Gadjovic 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd say he's no worse than anyone in the Canucks bottom 6 not named motte. 

Every one of our current bottom six have multiple more NHL games in the past two years and they are all better than 0 points and -7. I  am still confused by your opinion, once again are you his Dad?

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For sure it's missing from this team...  I mean Horvat and Miller are a good start, but we need a bit of edge.  

Lind and Gadjovich both would provide that, but they're far from being regular NHLers (especially Jonah).  

Now the other thing that we're missing is the top two players in the league.  It's fine and dandy to have Elias and Quinn, but they're not top 10 at their position.  Closest we have is Demko, who's capable of being a top 10 goalie when he's in a groove (hell maybe even top 5). 

I honestly don't think that edge comes from injecting a specific player or two. I think it comes from having a tight knit, competitiive, determined team that battles for each other and genuinely care about one another, with a take no prisoners culture and a pack mentality. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

i didnt know I was giving off the impression that I didn't like the current state of hockey? I think the league is better than its ever been. I'm the only person I know who likes gary bettman.  

i like that opinion, i like the rule changes. i dislike the man

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Every one of our current bottom six have multiple more NHL games in the past two years and they are all better than 0 points and -7. I  am still confused by your opinion, once again are you his Dad?

-1, not -7. and I should have said bottom six plus extras. michaelis, graovac, bailey (obviously not current), highmore, hawryluk are all essentially just jayson megnas. none of their characters would even get names in the movie version. 

Just now, tas said:

-1, not -7. and I should have said bottom six plus extras. michaelis, graovac, bailey (obviously not current), highmore, hawryluk are all essentially just jayson megnas. none of their characters would even get names in the movie version. 

Highmorew and Hawryluk are both more than capable of stepping into a bottom six role and not being complete liabilities, which is more than anyone can say for Willie's pet plug.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

Not sure you like hockey if you like the criminal who is actively trying to destroy the sport with his encouragement of match fixing and corruption.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

OK, lost my comment there.

To those talking about the 2011 team being special...they sure were.  But there also were members of that team who'd been together from the start...from the days of the Moose.  They were super bonded as a result....brothers who'd go to war together.  That develops over time and, especially, if you go through adversity together.

They'd been in the NHL for 6 years or so at that point.  There were 2 out of those first 6 years that they missed the playoffs....so it's not just add water and stir.  A figuring out of it all took place.

This team's been moving parts and a bit disjointed....the guys like Petey, Brock, Quinn, Bo need time to also establish that history together.  Patience is required...it doesn't happen over night.

Kes also spoke to the fact that the Gillis era meant they got whatever they needed to succeed (this team was always ahead of the pack in some of the tools they used) - from sleep to recovery/fitness to anything that could give them an edge.  Funny, people used to scream for Gillis' head too but his players have nothing but good things to say about him.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope Cheech isn’t eating those during broadcasts!

Those look to be restaurant packs with raw burgers and fixings, Ready to cook but not ready to eat. If he’s scarfing those things down, as is, during the games, then the red on his plate probably isn’t just ketchup. 

Not that I’m against a nice beef tartare, but I’d probably draw the line at boxed smashburger tartare. :lol: