The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

I’m actually hoping for a win today... totally down with team tank but I don’t want to see the losing streak hitting double digits.  

Besides if you look at the standings there’s just no chance that we can slide into the top 5 (don’t forget about Seattle pick)

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’m actually hoping for a win today... totally down with team tank but I don’t want to see the losing streak hitting double digits.  

Besides if you look at the standings there’s just no chance that we can slide into the top 5 (don’t forget about Seattle pick)

Why dont we have a chance?

How probable is it that McDavid hits 100-points by Saturday?  He'll still have 3 games to hit that mark after Saturday and that will be against the Canadiens (2) and Canucks (1).  As much as it's a pain to see McDavid torch the Canucks, it's amazing to see him play.  There might be more complete players right now but McDavid's individual ability to dominate on offense is spectacular.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why dont we have a chance?

Technically, if Canucks lose all their remaining games (0 pts) and ANA gets at least 1 pt in their last 2 games, the Canucks will finish 2nd last.  BUF is guaranteed last.

So if the above happens, the Canucks can pick #1-4.

If Canucks get more points than ANA, then they are in the 4th spot (as SEA is automatically 3rd).  Then selection could be 1-2 (lottery) or 4-6.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

How probable is it that McDavid hits 100-points by Saturday?  He'll still have 3 games to hit that mark after Saturday and that will be against the Canadiens (2) and Canucks (1).  As much as it's a pain to see McDavid torch the Canucks, it's amazing to see him play.  There might be more complete players right now but McDavid's individual ability to dominate on offense is spectacular.

personally, I don't care about the 100 pt goal. I just hope that he passes Mathews for most goals in the season. 

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Can you imagine what it takes to sit down with the in depth questioning he has to go thru post game? How he does I don't know. The players are no different as most can hardly wait to be done. Media availability must be an NHL rule.

None of this matters as I just listened to Clint Eastwood singing about trees. Seriously thru me for a loop. Ruined my day. 

Canucks should be playing 5 prospects a game (Joulevi included in that group). Rotate sitting vets to make room. If any vet questions such a move I would question why you want them? The Club has had a tough year, much of it nothing to do with their play. That said the Canucks have to build towards CUP contention and playing prospects give them the opportunity to do that. It improves their development and gives them something to build off of. If it causes the Canucks to finish lower in the standings so be it. 

I see what you're saying, here's the but, these kids, (the vets) have been playing their sport at the highest level all of their competitive lives. It's not in their dna to quit or sit, or underperform. If I were a JT, Hughes, Edler, Myers, Horvat, Pearson, there is no way I'd be happy with that decision. But of course 2288, would, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

I see what you're saying, here's the but, these kids, (the vets) have been playing their sport at the highest level all of their competitive lives. It's not in their dna to quit or sit, or underperform. If I were a JT, Hughes, Edler, Myers, Horvat, Pearson, there is no way I'd be happy with that decision. But of course 2288, would, right?

I guess you are right. I wouldn’t expect Horvat to dial it back or any other regular for that matter. In a sense it comes down to priorities. To me playing the prospects is a org priority. The prospects would benefit from a committed vet group. Most of the vets experience the same thing when they broke in.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

you don't want them to be happy about it, but its still the right call. You don't really get that many chances to preview what you have in real NHL games. 

We also have a lot of room on the bottom 6 and bottom pair d to move guys in and out, our top players don't actually need to sit. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

let's just drop this silly Orca vs Johnny Canuck vs Stick in rink debate.

Vancouver Bettmans here we come

lottery pick yeah,

jersey is just a pic of Gary splashing cash

of course we'll be moving to New Mexico ... but small price to pay right?

43 minutes ago, BPA said:

Technically, if Canucks lose all their remaining games (0 pts) and ANA gets at least 1 pt in their last 2 games, the Canucks will finish 2nd last.  BUF is guaranteed last.

If Canucks get more points than ANA, then they are in the 4th spot (as SEA is automatically 3rd).  Then selection could be 1-2 (lottery) or 4-6.

1 to 5 if 2nd last.  Seattle has the same odds as the 3rd last team but picks ahead of them.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

None of this matters as I just listened to Clint Eastwood singing about trees. Seriously thru me for a loop. Ruined my day. 

Sorry about that.:lol:

Seriously though, you do have to admire that Eastwood was trying various kinds of roles & not be a ‘Johnny one note’.  Just that singing might be a tad little outside his area of expertise.:P    At the very least, that particular song didn’t fit him at all.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

42 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah, I looked at the standings last night and realized this fact. I feel dirty hoping for losses, so I generally don’t do it. Losing out for the rest of the season is highly unlikely - Demko is bound to steal us a win or two at the very least - but wins at this point are probably not helpful to our long term success unless so much losing might permanently damage the psyches of our young players.

I’m telling you this as a watcher of the Canucks since the 70’s….if we were EVER to win the lottery and FINALLY choose first THIS would be the year….a year in which there is no generational or even elite player. Top 5 would be good though, as I still trust Jimbo to get us a good player.

And can I say that people that suggest the lottery is somehow rigged by Bettman is proved patently false by the fact that McDavid is in Edmonton. It’s such a lame narrative.

• Cheers 3

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sorry about that.:lol:

Seriously though, you do have to admire that Eastwood was trying various kinds of roles & not be a ‘Johnny one note’.  Just that singing might be a tad little outside his area of expertise.:P  

Have watched Clint Eastwood since the Rawhide days. Even then he took a scoop of Wishbones stew and threw the plate into the camp fire while he starred old Wishbone down. Classic! 

Eastwood has been one of the best directors sleazy Hollywood has ever produced.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Have watched Clint Eastwood since the Rawhide days. Even then he took a scoop of Wishbones stew and threw the plate into the camp fire while he starred old Wishbone down. Classic! 

Eastwood has been one of the best directors sleazy Hollywood has ever produced.

I should have added, his singing (again, just my opinion) fit in well in “In the line of fire” in that one scene and I think he sang something at the end of “Gran Torino” (“off screen” heh) that wasn’t at all cringe worthy.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

the guy is all about getting points for himself. he is such a greedy guy

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2