The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Geez, we need to stop complaining about reffing and accept we suck so we can make the changes to be competitive.

Fire Green!

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Is it using it twice if you quote yourself? There’s got to be a loophole somewhere.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Didn't Juice take a shot at Ronnie tonight for saying something nice about Burrows?

He did and I appreciated it but between this game and the Edler beat down I’ve had my knickers in a bit of a knot. I still love the guy but I hope he doesn’t get too neutral.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, viking mama said:

That’s because Bettman & Jeremy Jacobs are fossils & likely the League Commisioner & the Board of Governors President - for life! For so long bought & paid for standard bearers like: Don Cherry & Brian Burke have praised the need for on-ice violence & retributions & what we should think about that, despite the science, good conscience, fair play & societal norms. 

This duplicitous mixed-messaging to the NHLPA & deployment or use of the NHLOA in odd ways during the play-offs has been confusing, to say the least.

Improper-vetting of officials is obvious. The seeding of the DPS with guys like Parros & Pronger is farcical. Was Scott Stevens unavailable? Allowable ‘truculence’ in hockey needs to be monitored in equitable ways. The problem is the ridiculous vetting of the standard-bearers. We need professionals not ingratiated refs hoping for post career league jobs or ex-players coming from teams within Burke’s consultation group. 

When officials are corrupt or biased on & off the ice, players DO feel helpless & the need to police themselves & resort to vigilante justice. When officials DO their jobs, successfully,  skill, talent & desire will rule the day & win out.

Old schoolers need the ‘drama’ triggers to invite the ‘exact’ amount of  ‘allowable’ violence to grab & hold onto the interest of more traditional hockey fans. This - even  though in-game violence would be completely punted-out of any other professional league game on our  continent.

That’s their desired niche. Making on-ice violence allowable, yet  pretending it is not. 

Some nights - a zebra with a low # on his back make an outrageous call/ or a DPS ruling comes out and I just see a WWE-like farce. 

You know that schtick. Pretend rules matter & pretend that the officials are relevant to the sport. In actuality - encourage the things that create outrage. Dupe the veiwers. Employ  old-school antics & drama including being blind to situational violence - to entertain a chunk of the base that remains un-evolved. 

Great points !   The duplicity from the PA to the league just reflects our society - imo; and what is going on in the NHL is nothing new cause I ve seen it before when living in other countries were sports leagues and gambling are very closely tied together.  I guess if it weren't for SOME unpredictability in sports (based on luck or etc) it would be no different from watching a movie were the ending has already been written and the rules are just there to make it more manageable towards a certain outcome (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

So is there any particular reason we're playing 7 inexperienced/AHL forwards in games like this?

We don't have anything else. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

So is there any particular reason we're playing 7 inexperienced/AHL forwards in games like this?

Cause despite playing the vets heavy minutes for most of the season, it still turned out to be a lossing season and playing these rookies are the only way they will ever get any experience at all in the NHL level - imo.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Where'd everyone go?  I mean, I know Petey's out for the season and one or two others had nagging injuries but...

Sutter, Roussel, Motte, Bailey, Beagle are out injured. Other than that, we have a couple players on Bear Cheese Island, and are capped out. In any case, it's good to play everyone at the moment because the season is over. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Where'd everyone go?  I mean, I know Petey's out for the season and one or two others had nagging injuries but...

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte all injured. 

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Look at the bright side. We need to see what these guys are made of. Find out if the younger guys are ready and which, if any, of the bottom six should be kept. This is really the only upside to the last part of this season from hell.

Crazy stuff, we still have a chance of winning the cup and a chance at finishing last in our division, kinda like picking up a girl from Kelowna with and Adam’s apple, you just don’t know which way it’ll swing.

• Haha 2

Whatever we moan about, it's a good thing we picked up some waiver-bodies to close out this McCOVID-ian, annus-horribilus. The Hell with this F***in' campaign! Have it all go to pot in a 56 gp, unattended-nightmare; & the good bounces come back next Fall.

Really looking fwd to more draft-larceny from JB! Get him in the top 7, 8 selections & he'll school the podium-stage.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte 

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Look at the bright side. We need to see what these guys are made of. Find out if the younger guys are ready and which, if any, of the bottom six should be kept. This is really the only upside to the last part of this season from hell.

Yeah, would had been nice if management & the staff had recognized & accepted this losing season and managed it properly by showcasing & playing the future to see were they might/not fit moving forward but I get it: playing the rookies would had been seen by some/most fans as accepting losing; with hindsight, it would had probably been a more prudent strategy moving forward.

Edited by ShawnAntoski