The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

34 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yup, but they all check the great intangibles and nostalgic boxes - good chance JB will try to sign them.  I like Torontos' approach better - signing former first line players to short & cheap contracts that can still make some on ice contributions: Thornton & Spezza (700k a year).  If I was GM, I would be going after these players to mentor/shelter my young core at very cap friendly deals.

exactly  plus we need a trent frederic  and a young wayne simmonds on this team and a big hitter like zadorov on our dcore 

• Vintage 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

exactly  plus we need a trent frederic  and a young wayne simmonds on this team and a big hitter like zadorov on our dcore 

make the team tough like we can win in a  alley  fight helps protect the kids 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

make the team tough like we can win in a  alley  fight helps protect the kids 

Good points but preferably, I prefer a team approach due to the cap and the rules: were even our top players are able to protect themselves at the very least - screw the Zebras cause this should be all about sending a message and winning the cup.

Imo, we have a player that fills that role and is capable of scoring as well -  Big Zac; he is just being miscasted and not giving a legit chance to play - imo.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

100 points for Mc is a great accomplishment.

Where do you put him in the context of the all time greats?

Imho he’s not 99 or 66 calibre.  Those guys saw the ice at a 4d chess level. 

This might sound biased, but im hoping some  of the old timers chime in.

If you wondered what prime Pavel Bure or Teemu Selanne would look like with no two line off side, no clutching and grabbing and no opposing goons trying to make a name for themselves by taking their head off every game I think McDavid is an accurate projection. Bure and Selanne were absolute rockets, and sublime one on one players.  

Maybe McDavid is better than those two, but I think he’s closer(whether above or below) to the echelon of players that include the  likes of Bure than he is to the likes of Gretzky / Lemieux. 

Yeah yeah, the d men now a days are far quicker and more dynamic but what would prime Bure or Selanne do to an Alex Edler for example? 

Goalies are far bigger and better too, but selanne scored 76 as a rookie, I can’t imagine him not scoring 40-50 today. 

Mc also has the luxury of playing with arguably the second best player right now.  Something Bure never had the luxury of doing..

Mcdavid will prob go down as the best of his generation but  not sure he will be the goat when it’s all said and done. 

• Vintage 1