The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

45 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Sorry.

With all your negativity, I've had you on "Ignore" for almost that long.

Didn't realize you were a Canuck fan at all.

Hop back up; the more the merrier.

Please, go ahead and put me back on ignore

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

McDavid and Drai completely exposed our lack of structure and had a fun 4 games 

but oh, “he is just a great player”, we are tired … blah blah

Typical Green 

How about developing a game plan?

But lets extend him, he us awesome, just really have had really bad luck….did I get that right? 

Plus sign re sign our FA’s (who will be one year older) for there intangibles and nostalgic reasons - more of the same 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hmm ... I don't think your getting it.   First of all it's your narrative - it's almost all negative even when a nice comment is thrown in there it almost always comes with a caveat.   7 years also included a 7th overall finish and three playoff rounds but that doesn't matter does it.    Nothing wrong at all with bringing this up,  but no mention of the upswing either, three Calder finalists...rookies coming in each year and doing something since the prospect pool was rebuilt.    You wouldn't get called out so often if it wasn't so blatantly grouchy.    Teams obviously not there yet, but we aren't getting blown out either, without our best player and with a bunch of guys recovering from Covid and trying their best to win and please us fans.    Maybe we do need a new GM and a new coach.   But the rebuild is on a reasonable course all considered, couldn't go much faster starting from almost zero.   Four years ... and counting, but go ahead and start two years after we won a presidents trophy if you must, ignore the MG contracts (no GM is going to blow that up given the legalities of those contracts) as you measuring stick.   Guess what OTT just missed four in a row too lol.   And they were able to sell the farm and started with a 9th best pool.   Did you know this?   It is what it is, and it could be much worse, sure it could be better too, but it's not nearly as bad as your trying to make it. 

Take McDavid out of the lineup for a prolonged period and see where the Oilers would be. 

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Take McDavid out of the lineup for a prolonged period and see where the Oilers would be. 

Yeah but (imo) Smith is the real reason they are where they are in the standings (must be a contract year) but he will regress and the Soilers will be back to chasing something more familiar.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah but (imo) Smith is the real reason they are where they are in the standings (must be a contract year) but he will regress and the Soilers will be back to chasing something more familiar.

Yes, Smith is a pending FA and also 39 years old. 

RNH will eat up almost all of their free cap space in the off-season, they will have some tough decisions to make like we did last summer. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

RNH will eat up almost all of their free cap space in the off-season, they will have some tough decisions to make like we did last summer. 

Just like Buffalo no consistent goaltending to build around & keep the puck out of the net; too much of the same type of players (albeit VERY talented) that are used to producing only on one side of the ice.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They probably don't need Nuge, they can split McDavid and Draisatl, and find a decent young 3c. Edmonton is at win now phase , so I imagine they'll be selling their draft picks to compete

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You cannot ask a player or coach to not only focus on winning, it’s just impossible. I mean sure you can experiment with the lineup and try out different players but the goal each and every game is to win.  If you get a coach or players that are okay with throwing games, I would instantly get rid of them. 

It’s not like Canucks have been bullied or something, our team wins its share of physical battles. 

I wish I felt the same way. Our physical battle is pathetic. I'm not suggesting players stop trying to win, I'm suggesting management needs to start developing for next year by inserting rookies and the coaches need to put an end to "may them pay on the PP mentality" in meaningless games. Long history of being soft continues and the other teams take advantage. I'm bullish on next year and now is the time to set a new toughness identity.

3 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

They probably don't need Nuge, they can split McDavid and Draisatl, and find a decent young 3c. Edmonton is at win now phase , so I imagine they'll be selling their draft picks to compete

That would be a pretty smart strategy on their part IMO. 

The problem is that Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a UFA, not an RFA.  So they would be losing him for nothing...   but I do think you're right and we'll see them trade draft picks for players and to win now. 

47 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

No just based on all the hype.

Yea man I'm with u... Media pretending like they won the cup hahah

Way too much... Super soft call to put them up 2 man... It's like the refs shadowed and made sure mcsofty got calls his way all year long. 

4-1 goal the night we spanked him. He almost clotheslined Nate after he drop passed to Leon... No call. 

I was loling tbh... Reminded me of JBL finishing move from WWE days... Can't believe he didn't get called for it. This is hockey not wrestling 

Then last night JT interference call when mcdavid ran into him... So soft. 

It's clear the league has sent a message to the refs to make it as easy for mccdeyvid as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

I wish I felt the same way. Our physical battle is pathetic. I'm not suggesting players stop trying to win, I'm suggesting management needs to start developing for next year by inserting rookies and the coaches need to put an end to "may them pay on the PP mentality" in meaningless games. Long history of being soft continues and the other teams take advantage. I'm bullish on next year and now is the time to set a new toughness identity.

The only thing that bothered me was nobody doing anything with Larsson after he delivered a high hit on Hughes. 

Next year we will have Podkolzin coming in.  I don't expect Gadjovich or Lockwood to become NHL regulars, but if either one pans out then that will add a lot of toughness to our lineup.  Gadjovich does so through fights, Lockwood mainly throws hits.  

4 games against Calgary will be a good test because they have the ultimate pest in Tkatchuk and then two of the best fighters in today's game in Lucic and Ritchie.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That would be a pretty smart strategy on their part IMO. 

The problem is that Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a UFA, not an RFA.  So they would be losing him for nothing...   but I do think you're right and we'll see them trade draft picks for players and to win now. 

Edmonton doesn't need a genius to be GM, they just need a competent one to find McDavid and draisatl the pieces to win. 

Canucks don't have that kind of scoring power or draft luck to be there so they need to build a team to be competitive. 

Chiarelli may not have been good, but he got them McDavid and draisatl and that's pretty much enough to build around.

Just now, Devron44 said:

And Jesus and Leon completely expose every teams “lack of structure”. I’m not going defend the coaching as I think that could be an area of improvement but damn this team really needs a break from some of the bs fans. I have no idea what these guys expected this year? I had my expectations as well of course but the way things unravelled.. let’s get a another pick, continue what we are doing and take another step next year.

Wild how one bad year due to various scenarios can all of a sudden be a blow up the team half way through a rebuild. Mind boggling. But of course the argument is they have been rebuilding for 7 years which isn’t true. 

These guys can be miserable. I’m quite excited for the next couple years personally 

Exposed by McDrai, no kidding, right. What team in the North hasn’t been? I’ve been trying to find the stats on their points vs each team but haven’t had any luck. I think Vintage posted them a short while ago and if I remember right the Canucks were about average. Don’t know if that has changed since though.

In any case I’m also in the camp that thinks coaching needs to improve. No matter how well the pp might have been under Brown in the past it just seems stale and lacklustre now. It seems like we just trot out the same thing time after time. So many games where a pp goal could have changed the momentum of the game. The defence under Baumgartner can’t seem to figure it out, and that’s not just the d’men. Wingers seem like they’re never in a position to give the d a good passing lane for the breakout. That stuff is beyond my pay grade but I don’t think it’s good enough.

I’m up in the air on Travis. Some things I like but others like his line-blending just p me off. Also he’s responsible for the whole system so why isn’t he demanding change? I can’t pin it all on the two NBs if Green finds it satisfactory.

I’m definitely looking forward to a fresh start next year. Will be interesting to see if JB (assuming he’s back) will take a different approach to his signings. I think he will but if he continues like many others are saying he will, it will get ugly on here.

• Cheers 2