The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

31 minutes ago, McBackup said:

This shows exactly why Marner isn't a playoff performer. He isn't choking. He's afraid to get hit. He's great at prancing around the ice with all the open space in the world during the regular season, but once the playoffs start and the physicality ramps up he'd rather throw the puck away than hold on to it to score if it means being on the receiving end of a check.

In the multiple Boston series I thought Marner was excellent. But these past 2 years he’s been trash. Guess he got paid...

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Marner isn’t a goal scorer. You can’t put the blame on him, when your linemates can’t put the puck in the net. This game alone, he created 3 good scoring chances that Hyman couldn’t bury.

If you have to rely on your line mates to help you get points then you probably shouldn’t be getting paid $11 million. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you have to rely on your line mates to help you get points then you probably shouldn’t be getting paid $11 million. 

Is that what you thought about Hank?

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Make no mistake... the Leafs have a lot more talent overall.

But this came down to two factors.

One was obvious... Carey Price.

The other was Team Defense.

Every single Montreal player bought into the system... which was play physical, disrupt the Leafs offense in the neutral zone by getting on them quickly, and JUMP JUMP JUMP on the puck... Montreal was a step faster in all these last three games.

You could see the urgency in the Habs game even in their line changes... no lazy move to the bench, they were hustling to get there.

By the way... if anyone thinks Burr didn't have anything to do with this... I can sell you some great swamp property in Florida.  Burr is going to be an NHL head coach and I know he was there in the dressing room firing the team up and making smart coaching decisions behind the bench.  I just hope he ends up in Vancouver instead of the lame bunch we have here now.

I found it interesting that all the talk pre-game was how the leafs brought in Jumbo  Spazz and Simmonds 

but none of tose guys have cups

I picked Perry, Price and Toffoli, this afternoon.

I guess I shoulda called Gallager too, but Perry and Toffoli actually have cups

During the game they said Spezza has never won a game 7 and Staal has never lost

And on a side note Bergavin looked mighhty stylish in his all red with massive flow

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well Hank was an Art Ross winner.  Captain of the team.  $7M salary (which I'm pretty sure wasn't 13.4% of the teams salary cap at the time...I could be wrong) not $10.9M.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well Hank was an Art Ross winner.  Captain of the team.  $7M salary (which I'm pretty sure wasn't 13.4% of the teams salary cap at the time...I could be wrong) not $10.9M.

It was 10.89% of the cap when signed.  

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don’t recall Hank ever getting paid $11 million. As I recall him and his brother took pay cuts so the team could be contenders. Quite the opposite of what Marner did.

Oh and Hank was able to win the Art Ross and the Hart Trophy even while his brother was injured for half the year. 

Give me a call when little Mitch wins the Art Ross and the Hart Trophy without his buddy Matthews by his side. Might be a long wait so I promise not to change my phone number. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

While the game often does get tighter and lower scoring in the playoffs in general:

Elias Pettersson Regular Season: 0.92 Points per game. Playoffs: 1.05 Points per game

yeah - we could pick out a number of outliers - and small samples - but the larger sample you look at, the more obvious it becomes.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, lmm said:

I found it interesting that all the talk pre-game was how the leafs brought in Jumbo  Spazz and Simmonds 

but none of tose guys have cups

I picked Perry, Price and Toffoli, this afternoon.

I guess I shoulda called Gallager too, but Perry and Toffoli actually have cups

During the game they said Spezza has never won a game 7 and Staal has never lost

And on a side note Bergavin looked mighhty stylish in his all red with massive flow

yeah - it's ironic...

the Habs added some clutch playoff champions

the Leafs added guys that have never won anything.

but Dubas was a genius - and the Habs chances were laffed off the air...

I've been critical of Bergevin in the past - but his offseason was excellent imo.

Not only did he add some great complementary wingers (to a young group of centers) - but he brought in veteran center depth as well, and had a handful of decent depth defensemen they could rely on...

Virtually 'everyone' rubber-stamped the Leafs through the North.

But Bergevin schooled the millenial GM on the fundamental/'foundational' "defense wins championships" - and brought in actual champions.  Remarkable how stealth those points remained through it all.  It was almost as daft as the responses to the Weber/Subban deal where the 'analyticz community' lost it's mind...how has that aged?

• Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There’s more to “relying on your linemates to get you points.”. Marner is one of the best playmaker in the league (35 primary assists). Only McDavid ranks higher in primary assists. 

Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin, two of the best modern day playmakers, took 11.7% and 10.8% of their team’s cap. Both signed their contracts, when they were over 30 years old. Toronto is banking on Marner to continue to be that elite playmaker throughout his contract. Which is more than likely since he hasn’t even hit his prime years, unlike the former two.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

There’s more to “relying on your linemates to get you points.”. Marner is one of the best playmaker in the league (35 primary assists). Only McDavid ranks higher in primary assists. 

Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin, two of the best modern day playmakers, took 11.7% and 10.8% of their team’s cap. Both signed their contracts, when they were over 30 years old. Toronto is banking on Marner to continue to be that elite playmaker throughout his contract. Which is more than likely since he hasn’t even hit his prime years, unlike the former two.

Thornton led his team to the finals. So did Hank. Marner can’t even get his team out of the first round. He’s not worth anywhere near $11 million. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thornton led his team to the finals. So did Hank. Marner can’t even get his team out of the first round. He’s not worth anywhere near $11 million. 

LOL, really?

Thornton was 36 when he led his team to the finals. Henrik was 29.

Marner is 24.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1