The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Geoff Courtnall to return to Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

Geoff Courtnall is a good BC boy from Victoria, and played some great seasons with the Canucks.

Apparently there is interest by the organization to bring him back in some capacity.

Good? Bad? And what role do you think he’d have?

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did they reach out to him about? Is this another hamfisted Aquilini move to bring back a popular player in some capacity? How about bringing in the best possible person for the job rather than another former Canuck? 

sounds like more in an advisory role, which seems like a very good idea to me. Probably not so much to Benning tho, when your boss starts publicly looking for outside help its probably time to brush up the resume. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

No idea what capacity it could be.  He has been out of the game in real estate for a long time as far as I know.

Maybe they want to positive vibes by having some former players as spokespeople/advisors?  Please don't go down the Edmonton route, just because someone was a player from a beloved era.. it doesn't make them good management material.

I was pretty confident Benning would be back when he signed the Pearson and Demko deals... but I can really see the axe falling when the season is done.  I think Green's future is tied up in the fact a new GM will want to pick their own coach.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No idea what capacity it could be.  He has been out of the game in real estate for a long time as far as I know.

Maybe they want to positive vibes by having some former players as spokespeople/advisors?  Please don't go down the Edmonton route, just because someone was a player from a beloved era.. it doesn't make them good management material.

I would think its just more about helping to reach out to people in the hockey world for potential job interviews, and also maybe some general advice on direction. I doubt its more than that. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would think its just more about helping to reach out to people in the hockey world for potential job interviews, and also maybe some general advice on direction. I doubt its more than that. 

He is also really involved in mental health initiatives, so it could be nothing more than having him onboard with the Canucks in that regard.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Geoff Courtnall is a good BC boy from Victoria, and played some great seasons with the Canucks.

Apparently there is interest by the organization to bring him back in some capacity.

Good? Bad? And what role do you think he’d have?

not true until it comes from the organization itself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sounds like more in an advisory role, which seems like a very good idea to me. Probably not so much to Benning tho, when your boss starts publicly looking for outside help its probably time to brush up the resume. 

Well didn't Benning take over for president when Linden left? Maybe they are trying to find a new president someone to keep Benning in line. 

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did they reach out to him about? Is this another hamfisted Aquilini move to bring back a popular player in some capacity? How about bringing in the best possible person for the job rather than another former Canuck? 

Good call actually. Would definitely be better to get the best person even if a no name than a PR move. Of course, maybe there is a role in which Courtnall would thrive.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Aqualini seems to just bringing in people for PR move rather than a person most suitable for the job. Remember Linden? Too bad he wasnt a yes guy that AQ wanted to he resigned. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

Well didn't Benning take over for president when Linden left? Maybe they are trying to find a new president someone to keep Benning in line. 

for sure, and I could see Courtnall being a guy Aquilini asked for advice. I don' think he'd be tapped for PoHO's. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To be honest I don't care who gets hired as long as it leads to results. 

yup. I mean if Courtnall surrounded himself with a bunch of whip smart AGMs and he focused on the big picture... dunno, maybe that works too. I don't see it, but its not impossible. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. I mean if Courtnall surrounded himself with a bunch of whip smart AGMs and he focused on the big picture... dunno, maybe that works too. I don't see it, but its not impossible. 

I don't think Geoff would be GM. President, or Advisor to the Owner I can see. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I was pretty confident Benning would be back when he signed the Pearson and Demko deals... but I can really see the axe falling when the season is done.  I think Green's future is tied up in the fact a new GM will want to pick their own coach.

I haven’t been reading much into the Demko and Pearson deals, as far as an indicator of Benning’s status moving forward. Apparently much of the contract work has been delegated to Chris Gear, especially since his promotion to AGM. And while those deals may have been Benning decisions, they may also have been ownership’s call, with Gear tasked directly to work out the actual contracts.

The Aquilinis have sidelined their GMs in the past, while publicly expressing support, and with the actual details only coming out later. Gear has been general counsel for CSE for about a decade or so, with his employment preceding the Benning hiring, so it’s possible that he reports directly to ownership on some matters, and any new SPCs negotiated this season might be one of them.

I’m not saying this is the case. Just giving the reason why I don’t necessarily believe that Demko and Pearson getting new deals should be interpreted as any kind of signal of ownership’s confidence in Benning, or his job security, moving beyond this season.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1