The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks next season in Pacific Division

Rate this topic

Canucks_fo_life

1 minute ago, khay said:

I also hope Beagle comes back but guys at his age, usually don't... unfortunately. 

Similarly for Roussel. He was great in his first year, then the knee gave out and he lost explosiveness going to the net and forechecking.

I actually think Rathbone is better than Juolevi and he requires very little sheltering, if any.

Juolevi clearly has some nagging pain that's impacting his mobility. I've noticed him grimace a few times yesterday. Until that gets sorted out, OJ is a #7D.

If defence stays status quo, I have

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schmidt

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Chatfield

Edler still kills penalties in place of Rathbone but Rathbone gets top 4 minutes 5-on-5 ice time. I think he will do well.

Obv I wish the best for Roussel and Beagle, but if they aren't recovered, they will be on LTIR, which means 6m in available space to pad the bottom 6. 
Our bottom 6 improves a lot with those two back, or their $ being available to bolster. Its also much improved with Motte back in the lineup.
If our bottom 6 was healthy this year - just having sutter, beagle, rooster, and motte, it would have been a very different looking year. 

Defence needs a shutdown man imo. Something along the lines of Willie Mitchell back in the day. For now, its just Hamonic and Edler that play that role, and neither of them do it on an elite level. I'm guessing Edler retires this year. Hamonic-Hughes pairing stats are awful - Hughes needs a more solid shutdown partner. 
Schmidt-Rathbone won't be able to defend well enough I think. Offensive minded puck mover, with a rookie offensive minded puck mover. If Edler does come back, he could be a good partner for Rathbone. 
Myers did pretty well with Juolevi- I think Juolevi has found his place as a guy who will be able to play shutdown minutes and make a phenomenal first pass. That has incredible value to us. 

20 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Obv I wish the best for Roussel and Beagle, but if they aren't recovered, they will be on LTIR, which means 6m in available space to pad the bottom 6. 
Our bottom 6 improves a lot with those two back, or their $ being available to bolster. Its also much improved with Motte back in the lineup.
If our bottom 6 was healthy this year - just having sutter, beagle, rooster, and motte, it would have been a very different looking year. 

Defence needs a shutdown man imo. Something along the lines of Willie Mitchell back in the day. For now, its just Hamonic and Edler that play that role, and neither of them do it on an elite level. I'm guessing Edler retires this year. Hamonic-Hughes pairing stats are awful - Hughes needs a more solid shutdown partner. 
Schmidt-Rathbone won't be able to defend well enough I think. Offensive minded puck mover, with a rookie offensive minded puck mover. If Edler does come back, he could be a good partner for Rathbone. 
Myers did pretty well with Juolevi- I think Juolevi has found his place as a guy who will be able to play shutdown minutes and make a phenomenal first pass. That has incredible value to us. 

Agree that we need a shutdown D.

I also think that Edler will retire at the end of the season, otherwise, why is he trying so hard to score #100? It's uncharacteristic of him.

If Edler does retire, we have a glaring hole that needs to be filled. 

As for Hughes, he's basically like the Sedins. We need to deploy him on offensive opportunities, send him out on almost every offensive faceoffs and line match to get favourable matchups and so on. If we do, his defensive numbers (as well as offensive numbers) will improve.

Given Hughes offensive prowess, we should own the puck more and manage it better when we have the puck with Hughes on the ice. Partner him up with a Schmidt may not be a bad idea to maximize puck possession and hence, goal scoring. Hughes will improve his defensive number by simply not letting the opposition have the puck as much. 

I'd send out Miller-EP-Boeser and Hughes-Schmidt almost always as a unit on offensive opportunities and line match like AV did with the Sedins. And deploy Pod/Pearson-Bo-Hog like we deployed Kesler. If we do get a capable 3C (ala Malholtra), that should free up Pod-Bo-Hog to go and do some scoring as well.

If OJ is truly ready to take on a shutdown role, getting a shutdown RHD to partner up with him might be a good idea.

Hughes-Schmidt

OJ-Shutdown D

Rathbone-Myers

I'm just not convinced that OJ is there just yet. I hope OJ proves me wrong.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree that we need a shutdown D.

I also think that Edler will retire at the end of the season, otherwise, why is he trying so hard to score #100? It's uncharacteristic of him.

If Edler does retire, we have a glaring hole that needs to be filled. 

As for Hughes, he's basically like the Sedins. We need to deploy him on offensive opportunities, send him out on almost every offensive faceoffs and line match to get favourable matchups and so on. If we do, his defensive numbers (as well as offensive numbers) will improve.

Given Hughes offensive prowess, we should own the puck more and manage it better when we have the puck with Hughes on the ice. Partner him up with a Schmidt may not be a bad idea to maximize puck possession and hence, goal scoring. Hughes will improve his defensive number by simply not letting the opposition have the puck as much. 

I'd send out Miller-EP-Boeser and Hughes-Schmidt almost always as a unit on offensive opportunities and line match like AV did with the Sedins. And deploy Pod/Pearson-Bo-Hog like we deployed Kesler. If we do get a capable 3C (ala Malholtra), that should free up Pod-Bo-Hog to go and do some scoring as well.

If OJ is truly ready to take on a shutdown role, getting a shutdown RHD to partner up with him might be a good idea.

Hughes-Schmidt

OJ-Shutdown D

Rathbone-Myers

I'm just not convinced that OJ is there just yet. I hope OJ proves me wrong.

You're definitely right, OJ will need a couple years before he can really be relied on for a heavy duty workload of shutdown minutes, especially if hes going to be deployed against top lines. He needs experience. In the meantime, we're gonna need an accomplished and experienced shutdown D man like Savard. 

If Myers can rein in some of the gaffes and play a bit more conservatively, he'd be a great partner for Rathbone. 

OJ with someone like Savard would be the go-to pairing to deploy against lines like McDavid

• Upvote 1

I'd say the likely standings are: 

1) Edmonton - the only reason they don't win the Pacific next year is goaltending. They have the offense to make up for some defensive issues...which are starting to resolve a little on their own. But Koskinen has to go!

2) Vegas - at what point does Fleury finally start to show his age? I think Vegas will, next year, finally start to lose enough depth to cost them a game or three over the course of the year. Just enough to finish behind Edmonton.

There will be a clear divide here. Vegas and Edmonton are the class of the division. Both could be around 110 points. And since 3 teams from each division make the playoffs, the 4th place team in our division will likely not qualify for a wild card. 

3) Vancouver - this off season is going to be big. I really hope whomever the management is starts us down the path that Ottawa did this year; play the youth over the vets and by end of season, they are the vets. Demko will steal enough games, along with an improved D (provided Baumgartner is gone!) to get us to finish just ahead of

4) the Kings - their rebuild is turning the corner. Is is finished? Oh Lord no. But they are starting to come out the other side. 

I would not be surprised if the Kings and us flip-flop these positions. Whoever gets 4th will be very hard pressed to qualify for the playoffs. The remaining four are probably going to be in two groups...not good (5 and 6) and HORRIBLE (7 and 8)

5) Flames - I see a partial collapse next year, even worse than this year. Lucic is starting to show some age. Tanev can't do another injury free season. Johny Hockey will likely be gone over the summer. And Ottawa got the better Tchachuk brother. Matthew is a playmaking whiner.

6) Seattle - don't know who they're gonna take, but it's gotta be better than the train wreck that

7) San Jose - no cap room, aging D...did I mention cap room? We whine about LE's contract. Just wait until Karlsson can't skate anymore. Which leaves

8) Anaheim - they are hitting rock bottom. Wouldn't be surprised if they are the worst team in the league next year. 

Hey, this is just opinion and a little bit of fun!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Way too early to be making predictions...  it’s going to be a crazy offseason league wide. 

But my current bet would be...

Vegas

Edmonton

LA

Calgary

Vancouver

SJ

Anaheim

Seattle

Kings are on the verge of breaking through.  Loads of young talent and also my bet to win the Eichel sweeps. 

With no goalie I can't see LA beating out Calgary or Vancouver, Quiick is not so quick any more

• Upvote 1

I expect Seattle will probably finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th, but we'll see how their team works out. I could see Calgary also bouncing back in a big way.

All that said, I think it's too early to make any sort of good predictions for next year.

2 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

It's been a season to forget, from the worst schedule and Covid-19 outbreak in professional sports, to rape allegations and flying anti-Benning banners, this has been a lot to take as a die-hard fan and season ticket holder.

I wanted to post something positive and I think we could all use that right now as fans of this team.

Next season, we don't have to put up with playing the same 6 teams over and over again, it looks like we'll be back to a regular 82 game schedule and the divisions will go back to normal. If you look at the teams in the Pacific Division, you would think the Canucks should land in a top 4 spot and a playoff position. The California teams (ANA,LA,SJ) are all still in rebuild mode after yet another year of no playoffs, kinda like where we were in 2017. Seattle will be a coin toss but I wouldn't expect them to be like Vegas in their inaugural season, the Flames will have many question marks surrounding their club, Edmonton looks to have turned the corner, and Vegas again the clear #1 in the division. 

I will also say, this Covid schedule and division alignment to me has made some teams look better than they actually are this season, such as the Florida Panthers and Minnesota Wild. 

Pacific Division standings 2021-2022 prediction

1. Vegas *

2. Edmonton *

3. Vancouver *

4. Seattle *

5. Calgary

6. Anaheim

7. Los Angeles

8. San Jose

What do your standings look like next season?

I also share your optimism.   Considering how well we played against the rest of our conference last year - and that i think Podz and a healthy EP and hungry team for redemption we should have a very good shot at 3 or a wild card spot.

Also feel that CAL will be better then they were.   Considering the two teams, theirs is a bit of a shocker and doubt they will do as bad either.   

Vegas should remain at the top, EDM/CAL fight for second and third, and Vancouver should be in the mix for 3-5 depending on how things shake out with Seattle.   We also have an outside chance at second depending how healthy the team is and how much of an impact Podz plus the core with another year under their belt makes.   EP could also break out.   Entering his fourth season and that's usually when it happens.   

Agree SJ and ANA are going to be bottom dwellers.  LA actually has a chance though.   Unlike SJ and Wilson, Blake realized they needed a re-set with youth and traded guys away to help their pool which isn't so bad anymore.   SJ is dead last (pool) they are close to the cliff and could even start a rebuild next season.   Gibson is the only reason ANA wins any games, they are a total mess but at least have some good guys coming up too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

I think we would just make it next season or at best reach 2nd place.

Vegas - no major roster holes (could use a true #1C) and they have a couple million in cap; likely the class of the division.

2nd tier:
Edmonton - possible candidate to either rise or drop quickly, depending on which of Smith/ Barrie/ Larsson/ RNH/ Yamamoto returns and if they strengthen the depth.
LA - another major dark horse, depending on which of the kids makes the team they could have an influx of talent and quickly improve 

Vancouver - given that Petey stays healthy and Demko takes the #1 reins, we'll be fine as long as upgrade is found for Edler and Hamonic is either re-signed or upgraded (Rathbone and someone like Larsson or Savard?), and the 3rd C hole is filled

Calgary - probably just below the 3 teams above, an okay team but could see them miss the post-season again

cellar dwellers:
San Jose - likely sell off their vets and remain mediocre for awhile (Jones and the vet D have not been good)
Anaheim - Gibson's just holding the sinking ship up, not sure what help they can get him (bring in some vets to supplement the youth movement)

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Way too early to be making predictions...  it’s going to be a crazy offseason league wide. 

But my current bet would be...

Vegas

Edmonton

LA

Calgary

Vancouver

SJ

Anaheim

Seattle

Kings are on the verge of breaking through.  Loads of young talent and also my bet to win the Eichel sweeps. 

there is no way i see seattle finish last, not many teams are going to have the luxury of hiding players, even the canucks will give up motte maybe

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Bring back the same defense as last year is a big mistake!

Tbh three or four of the guys we have right now are more than capable of playing defense at the NHL level, it’s the coaching/systems they deploy where we’d be hooped if we brought them back. Could it still be upgraded? Yes absolutely. But the pieces are there that’s for sure. 

The one thing a lot of people seem to be overlooking is the fatigue factor. I want Edmonton to come out of the North since someone has to. Starting a full 82 game season after such a late conference finals would really set a team like them behind the 8-ball. 

Vegas will probably still be the class of the division even if they go deep in this years playoffs but the weaker teams are going to have big problems with how condensed everything gets. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah but they need to take 3 goalies, and their options aren't as great as you might think. I think they take one of Cam Talbot, Khudobin, or Jake Allen. Decent stats, but none have ever taken on a full time starter role. So no chance they're taking 2, or all 3. 
I think they take one promising goalie prospect (theres a few to choose from).
I don't see a better option than Holts for them for their workhorse. They must know our defence was nonexistent this year. They're not getting a franchise goaltender from the expansion draft.

Holts only has a year left on his contract, so its a very low risk option for them. 

lol there are plenty of cheaper lower risk goalies out there. if anything they'll take the player with the lowest cap hit on the canucks even if it's trash lol. that along is 100x better than taking hotlby and then using that cap space for a 1 year cap dump from other team for more players or draft

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah but they need to take 3 goalies, and their options aren't as great as you might think. I think they take one of Cam Talbot, Khudobin, or Jake Allen. Decent stats, but none have ever taken on a full time starter role. So no chance they're taking 2, or all 3. 
I think they take one promising goalie prospect (theres a few to choose from).
I don't see a better option than Holts for them for their workhorse. They must know our defence was nonexistent this year. They're not getting a franchise goaltender from the expansion draft.

Holts only has a year left on his contract, so its a very low risk option for them. 

lol there are plenty of cheaper lower risk goalies out there. if anything they'll take the player with the lowest cap hit on the canucks even if it's trash lol. that along is 100x better than taking hotlby and then using that cap space for a 1 year cap dump from other team for more players or draft

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Who do they take then?
I think they pick Jake Allen for sure. Jake could turn out to be starter material, but he's unproven as anything more than a backup. They are still obligated to choose 2 more goalies. Because there are no top tier proven starters available, I think they use one of those picks for a prospect and spend a few years developing them. 
With their third pick, they take a goaltender who can split duties with Jake, or potentially take on the starter job if needed. Basically, the same reason we grabbed Holtby for Demko. 

I agree Holtby's numbers aren't good, but he's been playing behind an awful team, and who else is a proven starter?

Driedger, Raanta, Talbot, Ullmark, Rittich haven't been #1 goaltenders. 

I think Seattle just looks at how badly we hung both our goaltenders out to dry and blames Holts' numbers on the rest of our team (and they'd be right to).

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

there is no way i see seattle finish last, not many teams are going to have the luxury of hiding players, even the canucks will give up motte maybe

Oh no!  Not Tyler motte!!  

funny how homers overvalue dimeadozen players