The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Quick question, how many seasons has J.B. been the g.m.; and how many times has the team made the play offs?

May 23, 2014.

2014 - 15: Playoffs (Team he inherited)

2015 - 16: No playoffs

2016 - 17: No playoffs

2017 - 18: No playoffs

2018 - 19: No playoffs

2019 - 20: Playoffs

2020 - 21: No playoffs

7 seasons.  Playoffs twice.  First year team he inherited.  Second time COVID cut season.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

So doesn’t that make Jim a good scout ? Not a good GM? I’d be fine if Jim stayed on as a scout. Just not as a GM. 

Jims done well on scouting and RFA deals. He's made his big gaffes in free agency and communications. 

So, if we're going to keep him I see him needing a president who's got better pro experience who can take some of the load. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I would just like to say, Drance is an absolute trash reporter. Dumbest questions I've ever heard, just trying to get a reaction. Zero integrity just stirring the pot.

Yeah, he used to be level headed then something changed this year.   He's provided some of the worst takes in hockey.  I still remember him saying that there was a gulf in talent between the flames and canucks and the only difference is coaching.  Basically saying that if the flames had Green they would be a top 7 team.  lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I just gave you a series of events that have happened which can be reasonably taken as "unhappy".  Yeah, the players didn't come out and say "I'm unhappy" but it doesn't take a genius to read in between the lines.

Do better.

Nothing that you said leads me to believe the players are unhappy with management, to the point of requesting trades  

Do better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I can see why the Canuck fan base is one of the most disliked around the league.  No matter what takes place someone is always complaining. I thought as a fan we should be cheering our team on. Whatever owners and management do really is not our business.  Do other fan bases get as involved as this one - writing letters to owners - flying fire GM banners - what a gong show.

And that's just my 2 cents worth - carry on  with the whining and cancelling tickets - you soon won't have a team in BC to cheer for

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

And last season they made the playoffs and won two rounds and went to game 7 in the third round.  That's the standard we should be using because it was a "normal" season, at least in context.  Anyone using this season as a standard is doing so just to confirm their bias

They didnt actually win 2 rounds and go to game 7 in the 3rd round. They won 1 round and a best 2 of 3 play in to get there. They got trashed in the 2nd round in all areas except Demko. That matters a lot because the cost of doing so was significantly high.

Last year, a season cancelled in the spring and subject to a play in, is normal? If the season had continued there is no guarantee the Canucks even would have made the playoffs. They were sliding down the standings hard. 

No one should use last season or this season to judge the teams competitiveness in a vacuum. People need to look at how the team is constructed and how they actually play.

No chance this team beats any contender if they squeak into the playoffs year to year.

We have 3-4 good young players, a couple of really good vets, a few hope they turn out young guys, and a lot of middle of the road to waiver wire garbage players on this team. At the cap maximum.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The biggest talking point is that the Canucks historically had an abnormally poor drafting and scouting department from Gillis and before. So stands to reason then that this is not a very high bar to meet. When we compare the strength of our prospect pool with teams in rebuilds and coming out of rebuilds it is about average, and even after the graduation of Petey and Hughes we still have holes in the roster in the 3C and D position, aside for Podz, Dipietro and Rathbone, not a whole lot of blue chip prospects in the pool. 

For sure 3C and another top 4 D are the two big core holes left to fill. I think we can accomplish the defence problem this draft, the 3C is going to have to come via trade or free agency.

8 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I would just like to say, Drance is an absolute trash reporter. Dumbest questions I've ever heard, just trying to get a reaction. Zero integrity just stirring the pot.

there's got to be another American owner that knows nothing about hockey who'd be willing to give his type another shot.

the job his gaggle did on the Florida Panthers - who wouldn't want to emulate that?

I mean - who wouldn't want to go from a 103 pt team under Tallon and Gallant - first in their division....to an 81 pt team, 6th place, under Rowe and the rest of the smarmy geniuses - in one year?

Sign him up!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure the Aqulini's are anything other than cheap developers. They didn't seem to mind a strong opinion from Gillis and gave him a lot of leash, so I don't really buy into the "yes man" theory on them. I just think they are classic developers and old school business people. 

Which is why they really need a new president that can bridge that thinking with what todays players and fans expect. 

The team also needs some more depth throughout, on pro-scouting, cap management and assistant coaches. 

Its a lot to expect, but one can hope. 

Brian Burke was on the right path but had a no nonsense approach he wasn’t resigned 

Gillis was afford his opinion because we winning

the minute we started losing he stood up for himself and was relieve .

Jb has never had the winner card to play.

I was reading through a lot of the past days media coverage and how the Canucks were the jewel of the nhl for players and there well being Gillis spent a lot on player support.

when Jim was hired I was happy until he said we think there’s a window to still win... that summed up his time here because that’s exact opposite of what Gillis said (the guy who built the team.) torts even said it.

Bennings been played the fool since day one to appease ownership.

yes FA is  his boss but his reputation and self respect should outweigh yes man status.

linden left he wasn’t on board I have far more respect for linden who rather not be employed than be a shile.

owners need to step back have a nhl president that will control hockey ops. 
no more PR moves John Davidson is an experience president we need some one that is experienced and knows what he’s doing have the Sedins work along side them to learn. Otherwise leave them out of it. 
my two cents and it’s not popular but I just want the same thing as everyone else this team to be a powerhouse not the leagues biggest joke. And right now we’re a toxic dysfunctional joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bo fan said:

I can see why the Canuck fan base is one of the most disliked around the league.  No matter what takes place someone is always complaining. I thought as a fan we should be cheering our team on. Whatever owners and management do really is not our business.  Do other fan bases get as involved as this one - writing letters to owners - flying fire GM banners - what a gong show.

And that's just my 2 cents worth - carry on  with the whining and cancelling tickets - you soon won't have a team in BC to cheer for

Umm almost all nhl teams do the same things. The ones who dont arent because their fans think they are perfect. Its because their fans are apathetic and dont care.

Owners prefer rabid fan bases, even when fans get angry. They spend money on the team and hate is better for business than apathy.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think most players will look at how these guys battled after covid and think its a ballsy group. I think they will look at guys like Petey, Brock, Hughes, Miller and Bo and think thats a good group to join. 

I just can't see players really thinking that much about the GM once their own deals are done.

Let's see, Pearson re-signed, Hamonic on record as liking this year here and all but asking to come back, just like Tofolli did, but the players are rebelling here according to the geniuses on this board and in the media. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

May 23, 2014.

2014 - 15: Playoffs (Team he inherited)

2015 - 16: No playoffs

2016 - 17: No playoffs

2017 - 18: No playoffs

2018 - 19: No playoffs

2019 - 20: Playoffs *out of playoffs point% wise, required pandemic & play-in

2020 - 21: No playoffs

7 seasons.  Playoffs twice.  First year team he inherited.  Second time COVID cut season.

fixed :bigblush:

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Just to be clear if you don't like the direction of the team, you're a traitor, or if you don't agree with Benning/ownership, you're not a fan?

Some people think blind mindless support = best and only support lol

• Upvote 1