The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

So, if Eriksson, Ferland and/or Virtanen ask for a trade, what of it?

regards,  G.

So do you think we could trade those 3 if we added a 1st rounder with each?

That'll speed this rebutcher right along, no?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Errr which teams in their right mind would want any of 3 of those players lol. On top we wont have a 1st till 2025. Why u bustin my ballz here

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Errr which teams in their right mind would want any of 3 of those players lol. On top we wont have a 1st till 2025. Why u bustin my ballz here

Well Zona doen't have a 1st this year

Jersey is a low cap team, and could use some verter..... I mean a pick

we could be picking again in 2024 , but that was kinda my point

we proabably win the lottery all 3 years

are your ballz attached to Golump's ovaries or sump'in?

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Well Zona doen't have a 1st this year

Jersey is a low cap team, and could use some verter..... I mean a pick

we could be picking again in 2024 , but that was kinda my point

we proabably win the lottery all 3 years

are your ballz attached to Golump's ovaries or sump'in?

image.gif.8e273f913d4baafa2a36365e80d47c13.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lmm said:

ferland will once again be on ltir and virtanen will have his contract terminated for conduct detrimental to the team. why would they pay to offload either?

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

ferland will once again be on ltir and virtanen will have his contract terminated for conduct detrimental to the team. why would they pay to offload either?

Agreed about Ferland.  Jake will be a buy out.  

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Oops lol hard habit to break.

OEL at his contract is not an actual improvement though. He is just a cap anchor.

Both Toffoli and Tanev stated that they had very little if any talks with Benning regarding their potential future with the team. But we are supposed to not believe them, right?

Telling players to wait until you use up all your cap hoping you can clear some is a clear message to those players to get what they can elsewhere.

Simple fact is Schmidt and Hamonic >> then Tanev and Stetcher.    Tanev was offered a contract that worked for the team, same as Markstrom.   4 x 2 and who knows but obviously the sides weren't close for Markstrom either.    Went with the younger goalie and made sure there was a vet back-up to hang for expansion.    Best we'd get for Demko with the ED looming would be a heck of a lot less then we got for Schneider.   Think Lack like.   

We don't know what the OEL deal would have looked like but i expect cap relief in LE leaving early or retention would have been part of it and also believe Demko was an ask and JB wouldn't cross that line.  

TT was a luxury we couldn't afford and yes that's on JB for the state of the current contracts.   Any way you slice it. Was a rental, price paid in full. 

JV, our schedule, our division teams (we sucked against them even worse the previous season), EP going down, Covid... a lot of extra bs for the team and coaching staff to deal with - and for a while there without EP, the team turned it around.   Most of the other great teams in the league had up and down seasons on the way to becoming great.   COL and CAR.    Re-tool gave us one last hurrah, finished 7th overall.    2017 finally some guys waived their clauses and the rebuild officially started.   Three years and another playoff .... that's actually very decent.   Expect more of the same for the next couple of years.   Maybe we get in next year, maybe we don't - we almost certainly will the following year as long as our cap is used wisely.    

It's actually within the realm of reason that we start a run of playoff appearances next season too.   EP breaking out would do that.    Fourth years are when it usually happens.  If not we'll  PGP first line C is very decent anyways.   Podz is a complete wild card.   Supposedly a lot better then Hogs.   If that's the case then we have an excellent top six now.    Or the bones to start running three lines if we use Miller there.   Guess we will find out. 

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, lmm said:

7 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Nah, the Canucks need to keep their picks, so just throw in Hughes or Pettersson or Boeser and that'll get the job done....

The point I was getting at is this, if one or two players do ask for a trade then fine. Where there is any concern depends upon who are the players asking for a trade. The three I initially mentioned would not be overly upsetting to folks around here if they asked for a trade. If Hughes, Pettersson and/or Boeser asked for a trade....

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Nah, the Canucks need to keep their picks, so just throw in Hughes or Pettersson or Boeser and that'll get the job done....

The point I was getting at is this, if one or two players do ask for a trade then fine. Where there is any concern depends upon who are the players asking for a trade. The three I initially mentioned would not be overly upsetting to folks around here if they asked for a trade. If Hughes, Pettersson and/or Boeser asked for a trade....

regards,  G.

I knew that

but as is common of the faithful, 

offering up the least desireable candidate nullifies the value of your statement

it amounts to Ballard, Raymond and a 3rd offered in trade talks for Crosby

it a pie-in-the-sky 

you might as well say, if Demko pitches a shutout every game next year, we don`t need to fix our holes in the defense or the 3-4 th lines

both statements are true, neither are plausible

my GF calls it `playing silly bugger`

Edited by lmm

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Simple fact is Schmidt and Hamonic >> then Tanev and Stetcher.    Tanev was offered a contract that worked for the team, same as Markstrom.   4 x 2 and who knows but obviously the sides weren't close for Markstrom either.    Went with the younger goalie and made sure there was a vet back-up to hang for expansion.    Best we'd get for Demko with the ED looming would be a heck of a lot less then we got for Schneider.   Think Lack like.   

We don't know what the OEL deal would have looked like but i expect cap relief in LE leaving early or retention would have been part of it and also believe Demko was an ask and JB wouldn't cross that line.  

TT was a luxury we couldn't afford and yes that's on JB for the state of the current contracts.   Any way you slice it. Was a rental, price paid in full. 

JV, our schedule, our division teams (we sucked against them even worse the previous season), EP going down, Covid... a lot of extra bs for the team and coaching staff to deal with - and for a while there without EP, the team turned it around.   Most of the other great teams in the league had up and down seasons on the way to becoming great.   COL and CAR.    Re-tool gave us one last hurrah, finished 7th overall.    2017 finally some guys waived their clauses and the rebuild officially started.   Three years and another playoff .... that's actually very decent.   Expect more of the same for the next couple of years.   Maybe we get in next year, maybe we don't - we almost certainly will the following year as long as our cap is used wisely.    

It's actually within the realm of reason that we start a run of playoff appearances next season too.   EP breaking out would do that.    Fourth years are when it usually happens.  If not we'll  PGP first line C is very decent anyways.   Podz is a complete wild card.   Supposedly a lot better then Hogs.   If that's the case then we have an excellent top six now.    Or the bones to start running three lines if we use Miller there.   Guess we will find out. 

Agree with most of this. If we could add a reliable 3C who can put up some points (or another scoring winger to roll three scoring lines with Miller at C) and a physical RHD for second or third pairing things look good going forward.

I do feel Benning need helps from e.g. an experienced president and that our assistant coaches are not good enough for a contender (I think they are good with young players though), but maybe it makes sense to keep them all for a couple of seasons more until we actually (hopefully) are contenders, but well, that's another matter...

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Ferland getting injured has been one the biggest disappointment for me in the last couple of years. I was absolutely ecstatic when we signed him.

• Cheers 3

41 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I think Ferland getting injured has been one the biggest disappointment for me in the last couple of years. I was absolutely ecstatic when we signed him.

The signing was risky AF but man would he look good in our middle 6 of he was healthy.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The signing was risky AF but man would he look good in our middle 6 of he was healthy.

Agreed. He looked pretty good in his role in the few games he played.

Oh well, can't do much about that now. I'd love to get Josh Anderson but I don't think that's very realistic.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’d hold that thought. I’m not jumping to conclusions but If things go sideways his contract could be terminated 

49 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Same. Woulda been a great signing if he was able to stay healthy.

I was like nooooooooooooooo both times he came back and immediately fought someone. I don’t know if that would have changed things but it might of been a better idea to hold off on fighting for awhile. What do you do 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Agreed. He looked pretty good in his role in the few games he played.

Oh well, can't do much about that now. I'd love to get Josh Anderson but I don't think that's very realistic.

I’d love Anderson. That contract is a bit worrisome for me though