The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on donnie and dhali

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's basically what all prospects are. Even first overall 'sure things' occasionally bust.

No, it didn't. He's always planned to have the team be 'competitive' during the re-whatever/rebuild, his entire time here. It's been a clearly stated part of the plan from day one.

Bubble playoff team drafting around 15+/- if we stay healthy, get some luck and have a good year. Top 10, picks if not. We were always destined for rebuilding with top half of the draft picks.

Not by accident but by plan.

We can agree to disagree, I don't wanna derail another thread :P

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's basically what all prospects are. Even first overall 'sure things' occasionally bust.

No, it didn't. He's always planned to have the team be 'competitive' during the re-whatever/rebuild, his entire time here. It's been a clearly stated part of the plan from day one.

Bubble playoff team drafting around 15+/- if we stay healthy, get some luck and have a good year. Top 10, picks if not. We were always destined for rebuilding with top half of the draft picks.

Not by accident but by plan.

when you plan for 1st overall and don't get it, you become Buffalo. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 5/28/2021 at 12:07 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Listening to Benning talk, I'm thinking the guy who does the sign language for Dr. Bonnie, is more expressive and sounds more energetic, and he never OPENS his MOUTH!!! ;)

You know...ummm...you know...you know...you know...ummm your correct! Unreal how bad of a speaker he is after all these years he talks like a scared 12 year old doing a presentation in front of the class, or was that just me as a kid!? But I can put sentances together much better now in person, on here it is debateable/laziness on my part haha!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

But I can put sentances together much better now in person,

Maybe you can, or maybe you just think you can.

However, have you ever had to speak into a camera/video knowing hundreds of thousands of people will see it? 

Till you have, don't be so quick to judge other people.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because he didn't do that, or encourage that kind of behaviour. For some reason you think Benning has wanted that kind of behaviour to occur. He can't control what some weirdo's out in the world spend their time on or control people on twitter. 

Do you really think if Benning was the kind of person you say he is that people like the Sedins would want to come back and learn under him? 

As a GM he should know how his words affect fans. 

If you think he doesn't understand that aspect of communication he clearly isn't fit to be the GM. 

The Sedins as everyone like to have a steady income. They also have a family to take care of.

By the way, swedes like them are a bit afraid of conflicts so they steer away from such so they won't confeont him. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Bennings is at fault, if anyone's picking on Loui's family?....

What a load of tosh.... Welcome to pro-sport. Is he supposed to say Eriksson has been a success?

With the big bucks comes expectations, and that is how it is, if you want to be part of the show...If you fail you got to take it on the chin.

However, regardless nobody should be picking on the family of anyone whether involved in pro-sport or in any other walk of life... that's just being a pathetic loser...

The life for his family got worse after Benning didn't blame the media for the Loui interview.

And after Benning said ge couldn't get in touch with Loui it got worse. At least here... 

This is psychology for dummies to know that you don't say things in interviews that can burst into flames. 

So a GM is Benning not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

You know...ummm...you know...you know...you know...ummm your correct! Unreal how bad of a speaker he is after all these years he talks like a scared 12 year old doing a presentation in front of the class, or was that just me as a kid!? But I can put sentances together much better now in person, on here it is debateable/laziness on my part haha!

can you do it on a live broadcast being listened to by hundreds or thousands?

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

You don’t think so. A teenager, a banner flying around that says fire he father. Very naive of you. I sure as hell remember what it was like to be a teenager 

So people arent allowed to protest now? They did nothing but offend a bunch of Benning supporters. 

I think I would prefer a world for my teenagers where censorship of free speech is not a thing because it might hurt someone's feelings.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, zimmy said:

Is that a clean slate, or “essentially” a clean slate?

Because if it really is a clean slate then it follows that you have, in fact, absolved JB of his earlier misdirections. This doesn’t seem to be the case. The clean slate suggests moving forward with an open mind. I think in your often thoughtful analysis you offer context which tends to paint our GM in an unflattering light (understandable and your right) regardless of the specific topic being discussed. That to me  doesn’t feel like a clean slate.  I think you are operating within a pretty wide swath of wiggle room here, presumably cleaning your slate but not completely absolving at the same time.

Maybe the problem is the current stasis with the team. I look forward to the group analysis once the maneuvering starts and hope that we all clear our collective plates of any clutter, wasteful emotions and 20/20 hindsight. I trust your observations will be front and center.

I have an open mind at this point. Do I fear he is going to make more panic level moves to make the playoffs next year? Sure. But I am hopeful he doesnt and will wait to judge what moves he makes.

Until his previous mistakes are gone, they still have an impact on the team so no it cant be treated as if they never happened. 

With any GM thats been around as long as he has, you cant focus only on next year. That type of thinking is why many want to gloss over his mistakes and absolve him of responsibility. 

I express my opinions on hat i want to see happen and what i dont. Whatever happens will ultimately determine if I am critical or supportive of the moves.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Peoples “freedoms” end where other’s begin.

JB should have the freedom to go to the supermarket without being harassed.  His daughter should have the freedom to live her life without experiencing her dad being publicly bullied on radio, TV, the internet and social media. (Because let’s face it - the discussion around Benning has gone waaaaaay past calm discussions about his successes and failures.)  There’s parody videos, a web comic, countless throwaway posts calling him an idiot, an airplane banner, hundreds of hours of radio or podcast call-ins and commentary running the guy down.  

You can’t swing a dead cat on a Canuck topic without someone reciting the “seven years of benning’s mistakes” like it’s some kind of monastic chant.  When nothing has happened lately, I get to read fantasies (or tired old jokes) made up by the media and fans about the next horrible thing that will happen as though it’s already written in stone.  Ian Clarke leaving, guys demanding trades, the Myers 7x7 contract, Petey and Hughes signing for a combined 20 mil. When they aren’t re-living things from 6 or 7 years ago it’s “outrage” over stuff that hasn’t happened yet.  

Reading an article about offseason strategy, I have to sift through half a dozen little jabs at management to placate the mob before they basically conclude that once we ride out this year we’re likely in great shape (assuming the on ice product evens out.) 

That’s where the critical group completely lost me - it’s snowballed into an excuse to indulge in some sociopathic / or just plain pathetic self-pitying behaviour.  

With all due respect, Bennings daughter's supposed right to not have to hear people criticize her dad is not more important than everyone else's right to criticize him. If he doesnt want to be criticized publicly maybe he should not be in a high profile public job.

This is actually the most pathetic attempt to suppress criticism of Benning that I have seen yet.

Oh no, his daughter might hear negative things about him so everyone better stop criticizing him.

Honestly, people need to stop getting so butthurt about stupid things like flyng a banner or parody videos, etc. Its hardly a Benning specific issue. Its just the world now. And public figures are fair game.

And while I feel bad for his daughter, her individual rights arent more important than anyone else's. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have an open mind at this point. Do I fear he is going to make more panic level moves to make the playoffs next year? Sure. But I am hopeful he doesnt and will wait to judge what moves he makes.

Until his previous mistakes are gone, they still have an impact on the team so no it cant be treated as if they never happened. 

With any GM thats been around as long as he has, you cant focus only on next year. That type of thinking is why many want to gloss over his mistakes and absolve him of responsibility. 

I express my opinions on hat i want to see happen and what i dont. Whatever happens will ultimately determine if I am critical or supportive of the moves.

Not saying lots of things happened that I and many questioned. But some of us have let those things go to some degree and moved on. You seem to be save those negative reactions in some kind of reserve that might be pulled out when the moment suits you. Yah, that was an okay signing but remember when Rousel/Beagle/Myers etc etc?  

Maybe I’m wrong, but your constant and consistent desire to hold JB accountable does not seem in line with taking a clean slate/fresh approach. You can be an effective observer without being so didactic. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

With all due respect, Bennings daughter's supposed right to not have to hear people criticize her dad is not more important than everyone else's right to criticize him. If he doesnt want to be criticized publicly maybe he should not be in a high profile public job.

This is actually the most pathetic attempt to suppress criticism of Benning that I have seen yet.

Oh no, his daughter might hear negative things about him so everyone better stop criticizing him.

Honestly, people need to stop getting so butthurt about stupid things like flyng a banner or parody videos, etc. Its hardly a Benning specific issue. Its just the world now. And public figures are fair game.

And while I feel bad for his daughter, her individual rights arent more important than anyone else's. 

Sure but why should his daughter have to hear it? What does it have to do with her? A person can criticize Benning all they want, that's fair game, but it's not like she is in the room saying 'Dad, sign Eriksson to a 6 yr $6 million contract pleeeeease'

People need to learn how to separate personal life from professional life.

Quit trying to make this a freedom of speech or civil rights issue, it's not.

• Cheers 4

Just now, zimmy said:

Not saying lots of things happened that I and many questioned. But some of us have let those things go to some degree and moved on. You seem to be save those negative reactions in some kind of reserve that might be pulled out when the moment suits you. Yah, that was an okay signing but remember when Rousel/Beagle/Myers etc etc?  

Maybe I’m wrong, but your constant and consistent desire to hold JB accountable does not seem in line with taking a clean slate/fresh approach. You can be an effective observer without being so didactic. 

I have actually not done what you say I have. I have judged his moves based on the move itself. When I like moves I say so. When I dont I say so. I dont use the ya but thing in my assessment of individual moves. Would be interested to see all your examples of me doing that consistently.

I criticize the overall effectiveness of his work as a whole as he does make similar mistakes repeatedly. But its not that I instantly dislike everything he does for the sake of it. I just also dont automatically love everything he does either.

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Sure but why should his daughter have to hear it? What does it have to do with her? A person can criticize Benning all they want, that's fair game, but it's not like she is in the room saying 'Dad, sign Eriksson to a 6 yr $6 million contract pleeeeease'

People need to learn how to separate personal life from professional life.

Quit trying to make this a freedom of speech or civil rights issue, it's not.

So no one can criticize a public figure because his daughter might not like hearing it?

Thatis a freedom of speech issue for sure. Sorry to tell you.

No one is blaming or targeting her for what her dad does though. If they were, like people on here did to Gaudette and Tryamkins wives I would take equal exception to it.

Not being allowed to legitimately criticize Benning because he has a teenage daughter who shouldnt have to hear it is ridiculous.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

As a GM he should know how his words affect fans. 

If you think he doesn't understand that aspect of communication he clearly isn't fit to be the GM. 

The Sedins as everyone like to have a steady income. They also have a family to take care of.

By the way, swedes like them are a bit afraid of conflicts so they steer away from such so they won't confeont him. 

the Sedins are fine financially I'm sure :lol:

GMs can't control what social media does. If a GM puts out an honest statement its not their fault if some weirdo's go crazy with it. 

• Cheers 2