The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how I feel about Jason King taking over the PP if thats true. Or Baumgartner still running the PK. Hopefully Shaw is heavily involved if thats the case.

Not gonna lie, would have liked Gallant as HC, Shaw as defense/pk coach, Muller or another option as forward/PP coach, and Clark staying as goalie coach.

If Shaw can be to Green what Sullivan was to Torts or Bowness was to AV, thats a win. And it adds enough of a hot seat for Green having a guy who could easily take the reigns as HC if he struggles. I think that will actually help Travis become a better coach.

Shaw is going to dictate to Baum and King. I think this arrangement is going to work a lot better than last year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Shaw is used as he described in that interview, I think its afantastic addto the coaching staff. 

He seems to already have a great handle on the defensive issues of this team and hopefully is given some leeway to oversee Baumgartner. I am still a bit disappointed Baumer was retained.

I especially like the part where he says Hughes needs to learn to use his offensive strengths on the defensive side of the puck. I said this same thing the other day when explaining why Hughes struggles. Part of that is the way he is asked to play defensively. Its not about turning anyone into something they're not. Its about using their skills the right way.

This is a normal case due to inexperience, when it comes to managers/coaches.  Baumer (and to a certain degree Green) getting demoted will hopefully help him continue to evolve cause Green has already ok'ed the addition of Shaw by (implictly) admitting he needs help in becoming a better coach. - true test will come, if the Canucks ends up having a season like last year or like the last few with Green & friends.   

Seems to be a good mixture of youths & veteran in the staff (really liked the interview) - expecting alot from this addition; hope they keep there picks and don't trade too much of the future for the present.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I listened to a bit of clips. Sounds like he gonna be hands on with everything. Greenery’s 2nd in command. Wants us to be a much better team away from the puck which is refreshing. We need to be way better defensively. 

The things I really liked:

- need to build the style around the personnel, not fut personnel to a set styld.

- need the team to focus on 5 mandefensive buy in. The D gets most of the flack but the forwards deserve their fair share too. 

- wants to be a detail oriented team that is hard to play against.

- basically every thought he had on what makes a successful PK. Wanting to be aggressive when needed is a huge step forward imo.

I love the fact that he sees the weaknesses in our entire team defensively and has ideas on how to fix it. Hopefully Green listens.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Makes you wonder if certain members of the media are getting "leaked" information that is not exactly correct.  Some of them certainly seem to have an agenda.

they're amateurs that run with any whisper campaign they hear from their echochambermates.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like that Baum is being moved further down the line. The defense suffered under his influence. Having a seasoned coach come in as Greenery’s :lol: sole second in command is a great idea. His approach worked wonders for St Louis and Columbus. I can see his involvement along with Travis’ have an effect on who Benning goes after. 

Great post and Shaw hopefully will temper JB in this offseason - fingers crossed, that JB doesn't go shopping with an empty stomach.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

- need to build the style around the personnel, not fut personnel to a set styld.

- need the team to focus on 5 mandefensive buy in. The D gets most of the flack but the forwards deserve their fair share too. 

- basically every thought he had on what makes a successful PK. Wanting to be aggressive when needed is a huge step forward imo.

I love the fact that he sees the weaknesses in our entire team defensively and has ideas on how to fix it. Hopefully Green listens.

This point is the true test of how good a coach is cause it is the job of the coach/staff to maximize a roster by creating a structure that maximizes its potential despite the talent level.  For years, it seems the staff has been trying to force the players into roles rather than the staff making adjsutments to fit the given roster; I was expecting JB to be tasked with the impossible of looking for players that will fit Greens system rather than the best player.

Hopefully, the players buy in (?).

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like the Brad Shaw hire.

I remember him as a player on those Whalers teams of the late 80s.

He's quietly quite a commanding presence imo.

Interesting side note:

Those Whaler teams were absolutely stacked with players who were future NHL coaching talent.

Kevin Dineen

Dean Evason

Brad Shaw

Dave Tippett

Randy Cunneyworth

Randy Ladouceur

Ulf Samuelson

Joel Quenneville

Every one of these NHL coaches played for the 89/90 Hartford Whalers.

As did the following

Jody Hull OHL

Scott Young US College

Jim Culhane US College

Kay Whitmore OHL

Peter Sidorkiewicz OHL

Al Tuer OHL

Jim MKenzie USHL

Mike Liut US College

And he just missed playing with this guy by a couple years ...

spacer.png

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Why do we have so many assistants? Oh well, I'm not complaining. It means Aquilini is willing to invest in this team to get better.

I am wondering if some of those assistants will be travelling back and forth at times between the Canucks and the farm team now that the farm team is close by.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yeah the total D play is team-wise and not all on the D-core. Everyone can be better. 

I can only imagine how good Demko will be with a better team defensive structure in front of him. 

I think out of the PP, 5v5 team D and PK that the PK has been the better of the 3. It can definitely be better though. Last year the PK was streaky and that was mostly due to our best PK guys Motte/Beagle being hurt. 

Definitely look forward to how these coaching additions affect the play on the ice. JB will need to do his part with the roster though. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

This point is the true test of how good a coach is cause it is the job of the coach/staff to maximize a roster by creating a structure that maximizes its potential despite the talent level.  For years, it seems the staff has been trying to force the players into roles rather than the staff making adjsutments to fit the given roster; I was expecting JB to be tasked with the impossible of looking for players that will fit Greens system rather than the best player.

Hopefully, the players buy in (?).

Thanks for bolding my horrible spelling mistakes.

Pretty sure to some that will make me a bad fan lol

Edited by wallstreetamigo
Lol a spelling mistake