The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks promote Todd Harvey to director of amateur scouting

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Quantum said:

I'm a little worried about our NCAA pipeline with Jonathan Bates out. Bates is the guy who found Chris Tanev. And with Judd Brackett having been forced out last year, and now Bates, I'm really curious who our go to NCAA guy is now and if the Canucks will shy away from the NCAA -- even though the NCAA has given the Canucks a lot of really great assets and players over the last decade (Tanev, Hughes, Gaudette, Stecher, Hutton, Madden, Rathbone, Rafferty, McDonaugh, Demko, etc).

Agreed soon as I saw NCAA guy out I was like uh oh

23 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Agreed soon as I saw NCAA guy out I was like uh oh

Our NCAA free agency hasn't been that great, aside from Tanev, and he's been on the job for about a decade, in actuality. I'm not sure if Stecher was found by this guy, but Tanev was for sure credited to him.

There have been a ton of misses over the years. Remember when we kept saying "free prospects, they can't hurt"? They don't hurt, but you really have to start hitting on some of these otherwise having these players don't do anything.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I imagine that’s who he is, and what he brings to his job as scout.  I wonder how much he relies on analytics?  Or would he defer to an expert in that area?  

I think he's a gut first reaction guy. 

How would I play this guy? 

How would I shut him down. 

Would he last 7 games against me?

Does he recover quickly after a mistake. 

Will he quit on  me in the middle of a battle? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Weisbrod has a strong hockey background.  People look at his short stint with the Orlando Magic as some sort of a stone that they can throw his way.  

He's been every bit as important in our drafting as Judd Brackett was.  

Guess u forgot about the offer sheet

15 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Our NCAA free agency hasn't been that great, aside from Tanev, and he's been on the job for about a decade, in actuality. I'm not sure if Stecher was found by this guy, but Tanev was for sure credited to him.

There have been a ton of misses over the years. Remember when we kept saying "free prospects, they can't hurt"? They don't hurt, but you really have to start hitting on some of these otherwise having these players don't do anything.

Two NCAA drafted guys:  I tend to give Benning more of the credit for Boeser as he was a 1st round pick.  GMs tend to have more of an influence for these selections.  Demko though wasnt.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

Hope all of these off ice moves will payout big for the team and moves like these are what they meant by an aggressive of season.  Imo, these off ice tweakings have been a long time coming and if given the proper chance to succeed - can (perhaps) produce better results than the more (expensive) roster tweaking(s) route.

Most successful teams have a solid leadership group on & off the ice (including the coaches).  It is this group (off the ice) that is more vested in the teams success cause it is this group that will determine how a team navigates through its specific road to success.   Also, it is the transition or graduation from one person to another (within this group), who is capable of improving or maintaining the system, that determines the teams current & future fortune.  Ofcoure, ever so often things get stale and a good owner knows when it is time for change - an owner willing to go through the different cycles a team goes through is the most important part of the equation.

As a player, I liked how Harvey played the game and how he complemented the more talented players in the rosters he played in.  Perhaps, this will mean more players that fits his profile and will net the team talented players that are (also) hard to play against - from my POV, he was (also) a good locker room leader during his playing days.

Once again, I wish Harvey success; I hope he runs with this opportunity and proves that JB made a good choice by promoting him.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

And I believe Rathbone will soon be added to the list of NCAA drafted guys that will be solid NHLers.

Our NCAA scouts have been the least of our woes in amateur scouting for the past decade+.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 2

Seeing the reaction of some people here clearly shows how they don't read the full story and try to jump onto their own previous conclusions and looking for anything to confirm it. The original post/tweet clearly states that Bates takes care of NCAA free agents. Yet there is so much talk and concern about drafting from NCAA?

We still have scouts for the NCAA, likely the same ones that have nabbed all of the gems. Also keep in mind, a lot of players are drafted even prior to joining the NCAA.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And I believe Rathbone will soon be added to the list of NCAA drafted guys that will be solid NHLers.

Our NCAA scouts have been the least of our woes in amateur scouting for the past decade+.

I believe Rathbone was drafted from a high school program. Joined NCAA after we drafted him.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:42 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Stepped back to focus more on the Bates Motel...

True story, went to school with Norman Bates. Inited me over, said I couldn’t come as I had to shower.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Canucks really do a good job on background checks, and this is after the jake stuff.

https://apnews.com/article/ae61fc6094ada021a4abb5d52c936f35

Harvey and his Dallas Stars teammate Grant Marshall, along with two other men, were accused in 1996 of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a Winnipeg house party, 

And the result.....

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He was a tough player to play against, and definitely a leader; he captained the 1995 WJHC Canadian side in a lockout year.  We also have the captain from the following year on staff.  Benning's pretty good at evaluating scouts, so I'm confident this will work out.

Yeah, I liked Harvey when he played and it seems that he is the type to take a challenge head on.

Edited by ShawnAntoski