The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

Just now, IBatch said:

Umm then i guess Edlers needs major massive otherworldly work as does Hamonic too.   His skating is fine.   I've watched this guy since the AHL and skating isn't a problem.   He's sublime and quick.   Health is and fitness are his primary issues. 

if you call OJ quick you are out to lunch. His lateral movement is terrible and gets constantly walked.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

So what do you see as Stevie's game plan selling off young vets?

Did you mean Larkin or Bertuzzi?

I see a coupel of possiblities

1 there is something about Beretuzzi he does not like

2 he thinks the injury will lower Bertuzzi's value in the future

either way, now is a good time to sell high

what is your take?

Sorry, I meant to say the Mantha trade cause at 26, he could had still been a part of the young core he is building (perhaps as a productive complementary veteran player type ?); and based on the rumour of Bertuzzi being shopped at 26, it seems to indicate that his cut off age is 26, as to when to trade a young(ish) asset for maximum return - if the players' age doesn't match his (projected) compete window.  Ofcourse, as proven by the Canucks young core there will blips when the team makes the playoffs - did last years playoff success indicate the team was ready or did the team just get hot at the right time (just like Montreal).  With hindsight, last years run was probably more indicative of a team that got hot at right time rather than a team that has put it all together on & off the ice; and this past disastrous season further proves the team & staff was not ready. The (current) offseason tweaking off the ice, hopefully will bear good fruit on the ice - fingers crossed !

Imo, the addition of Shaw (based on his reputation) can potentially have a bigger impact on the ice than any roster tweaking this offseason; and I hope he can convince Schmidt to stay for a year to hopefully increase his trade value. Also, the teams' current cap situation gives JB no leverage in trades - except for finite draft picks and unknown lottery tickets like OJ (hope he doesn't become the Canucks version of a Sergaychev trade).

As for Yzerman, he only seems to commit when the owner is fully on board with his vision. On implementation, he seems to have clear deadline(s) and timeline(s) but it all, only works if an owner has fully bought in and is willing to be hands off. Both the Tampa & Detroit owners were willing to give Yzerman full control of the team; and in Detroit they also have a team president that he knows & fully supports his vision.

If I am a GM during a rebuild, my biggest moves would be to strengthen the teams personnel off the ice (especially, the coaching and scouting ranks), no long term commitment to cap space with mentoring type players, focus on playing & showcasing the future and continue to build the core & depth through the draft by trading assets that doesnt fit my timeline.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It would take a "hockey" trade to get him. Something along the lines of Lind, 2nd and Juolevi is laughable. 

It would probably take Hog. Personally I wouldnt mind considering the fact that hes replacing Hog on the 2nd line. However, Hog is on an ELC which is valuable 

In the end, I would say stick to what we have. We are NOT getting Bertuzzi for free lmao

Edited by DontMessMe
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

It would take a "hockey" trade to get him. Something along the lines of Lind, 2nd and Juolevi is laughable. 

It would probably take Hog and a 2nd OR 3rd. Personally I wouldnt mind considering the fact that hes replacing Hog on the 2nd line. However, Hog is on an ELC which is valuable 

In the end, I would say stick to what we have. We are NOT getting Bertuzzi for free lmao

You mean JV straight across won’t work lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

LMAO. JV straight across can netch u a nice trade with BUF for the 40 goal scorer Jeff Skinner with 0% retained :metal:

On a side note. Imagine JV gets through these allegations and gets his shiz together on the ice too. Wouldn’t that be something. I gave up though  

——— Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander  Horvat ————

———  Miller Podkolzin

Motte  Beagle ———

we have a bunch of wingers we can mix in there like Pearson etc. I do say we need to upgrade at least 2 wingers. 

if we go hard after Cernak with next years first and sign Hamonic one more year short term

Hughes Hamonic

Schmitt Cernak

Joulevi Myers

loosing Edler contract pays for Cernak. Sutter contract needs to go towards Hughes and Pettersson as well as Virtanen buyout. So there will need to be more moves to free up money to upgrade the wingers or wait until next year when there is a lot more money available. It will be tough with our cap issues. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Not sure I see a fit unless the plan is to leave Hoglander on the RW, which I am not a fan of. Moving Miller to 3rd line center is really not gonna vibe with him either, and he has the personality type to become a real problem if he's not happy. See Kesler. I guess the 3rd possibility is to trade Hoglander for Bertuzzi but I love the fire Hoglander plays with. He's Motter if Motter had top 6 talent.

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok then.  There is a shift by shift analysis of OJs time here.   I suggest you review.   Before covid he was Mr stable on our blue line.  QHs however was Mr lose the puck and it ends up in our own net.   Don't care how fast a guy is if he can't defend.   OJ is going to get his chance to prove he belongs.  Safe play pretty much every shift before Covid.    Pretty sure you're mistaking OJ for Edler as far as "getting constantly walked" 

Edler got walked more times this year than a prime Barry Bonds…

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 2009cupchamps said:

——— Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander  Horvat ————

———  Miller Podkolzin

Motte  Beagle ———

we have a bunch of wingers we can mix in there like Pearson etc. I do say we need to upgrade at least 2 wingers. 

if we go hard after Cernak with next years first and sign Hamonic one more year short term

Hughes Hamonic

Schmitt Cernak

Joulevi Myers

loosing Edler contract pays for Cernak. Sutter contract needs to go towards Hughes and Pettersson as well as Virtanen buyout. So there will need to be more moves to free up money to upgrade the wingers or wait until next year when there is a lot more money available. It will be tough with our cap issues. 

I like your ideas a lot!  :canucks:

Which players do you see filling in the gaps?  Gads, Lind, Highmore, ???

15 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Trade the Twins? 

We're going to trade $14 Million in cap and some team is going to pay us to take them. How the hell do you expect anyone to PAY to take two older players past their prime for ONE cup run? That's the only way it can be done, we wouldn't be able to trade them to a contending team with an extra year on their deal. How does a contending team accommodate $14 Million USD? What's the GM going to do? Wait for their contracts to expire? Because that's exactly what Benning did and the Sedins were at least top six forwards even in their last season. The only way we would've been able to trade the Twins is to a team with a bunch of cap space and we wouldn't get enough back to make it reasonable at all. Plus the twins were needed to entertain the fans and groom the young players. Think through these ruminations because some of them are silly. 

You sir are correct. The twins were untradeable, even by Stevie Y.

Maybe superboy Kyle Dubas could have pulled it off. :rolleyes:

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 2

Benning's job is on the line. If team doesn't make playoffs he won't be extended. 

I can see him making moves to try and make the playoffs. But I think unfortunately he's going to make mistakes and overpay in trade and free agency.  That's what desperate GMs do, make mistakes. 

There are too many needs on this team. A top 6 forward, a good 3C and improve defense. 4th line also needs improve. 

That's a lot to ask for especially with bad contracts on the roster and flat cap. 

Canucks will be a bottom 10 team again next season. Hopefully we win lottery and strike gold. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

On a side note. Imagine JV gets through these allegations and gets his shiz together on the ice too. Wouldn’t that be something. I gave up though  

I bought a lottery ticket today. Have more hope in that than JV.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sorry, I meant to say the Mantha trade cause at 26, he could had still been a part of the young core he is building (perhaps as a productive complementary veteran player type ?); and based on the rumour of Bertuzzi being shopped at 26, it seems to indicate that his cut off age is 26, as to when to trade a young(ish) asset for maximum return - if the players' age doesn't match his (projected) compete window.  Ofcourse, as proven by the Canucks young core there will blips when the team makes the playoffs - did last years playoff success indicate the team was ready or did the team just get hot at the right time (just like Montreal).  With hindsight, last years run was probably more indicative of a team that got hot at right time rather than a team that has put it all together on & off the ice; and this past disastrous season further proves the team & staff was not ready. The (current) offseason tweaking off the ice, hopefully will bear good fruit on the ice - fingers crossed !

Imo, the addition of Shaw (based on his reputation) can potentially have a bigger impact on the ice than any roster tweaking this offseason; and I hope he can convince Schmidt to stay for a year to hopefully increase his trade value. Also, the teams' current cap situation gives JB no leverage in trades - except for finite draft picks and unknown lottery tickets like OJ (hope he doesn't become the Canucks version of a Sergaychev trade).

As for Yzerman, he only seems to commit when the owner is fully on board with his vision. On implementation, he seems to have clear deadline(s) and timeline(s) but it all, only works if an owner has fully bought in and is willing to be hands off. Both the Tampa & Detroit owners were willing to give Yzerman full control of the team; and in Detroit they also have a team president that he knows & fully supports his vision.

If I am a GM during a rebuild, my biggest moves would be to strengthen the teams personnel off the ice (especially, the coaching and scouting ranks), no long term commitment to cap space with mentoring type players, focus on playing & showcasing the future and continue to build the core & depth through the draft by trading assets that doesnt fit my timeline.

So, what you are saying is SteveY has a MoneyBall system that he does not deviate from?

He is a man with a plan, that he will execute.

re going to Tampa, After being asstant GM in Detroit Steve Y takes a job in Tampa to hone his craft and wait for an opportunity to come up in Detroit

It seems the Detroit gig was always there for him, should he succeed in Tampa, that is why he left Tampa before winning cups

Maybe Jim had a similar agreement with Boston, nudge wink

That is the sign of a confident person

I am sure he knew the ownerhship would be hands off from his earlier stint in Detroit

There has been talk of Jim being forced to do this or that ever since he arrived

I cannot see Vancouver finding a Steve Y calibre GM for that reason

Jim has a 5 year head start on Steve

who do you lay money on to win a Cup

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Benning's job is on the line. If team doesn't make playoffs he won't be extended. 

I can see him making moves to try and make the playoffs. But I think unfortunately he's going to make mistakes and overpay in trade and free agency.  That's what desperate GMs do, make mistakes. 

There are too many needs on this team. A top 6 forward, a good 3C and improve defense. 4th line also needs improve. 

That's a lot to ask for especially with bad contracts on the roster and flat cap. 

Canucks will be a bottom 10 team again next season. Hopefully we win lottery and strike gold. 

Benning’s job is on the line? 

12 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Ewww. 
If we have Rousel and Beagle in the lineup next season, I’ll be hopping over the fire Benning fence. 
Rousel was one of the most ineffective, unmotivated garbage players in the league last year.  He is done for sure. 

Beagle is just done as well. 

I k ow they say he will be healthy, but at this point in his career, after all this, there is next to zero chance he is a useful player anymore. 
He barely was before his injury. 

That's the lineup if Benning acquires Bertuzzi and does literally nothing else, which won't happen. There will be more moves than that to change the roster whether we land Bertuzzi or not. 

I think it's optimistic to think that both of Beagle and Roussel won't be on the team; we'll likely have to choose one to stay. Between those two, I take Beagle given that we don't have many other strong options for 4C but we have a plethora of wingers. Plus having a right handed center is useful for matchups given that Horvat and Miller are both lefties. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Benning’s job is on the line? 

True, but Benning’s next job is on the line too.  If he sacrifices his club for his personal reasons (bad trade for the now while clearly building for the future and beyond) then he will be almost fir sure not get another GM job.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Trade the Twins? 

We're going to trade $14 Million in cap and some team is going to pay us to take them. How the hell do you expect anyone to PAY to take two older players past their prime for ONE cup run? That's the only way it can be done, we wouldn't be able to trade them to a contending team with an extra year on their deal. How does a contending team accommodate $14 Million USD? What's the GM going to do? Wait for their contracts to expire? Because that's exactly what Benning did and the Sedins were at least top six forwards even in their last season. The only way we would've been able to trade the Twins is to a team with a bunch of cap space and we wouldn't get enough back to make it reasonable at all. Plus the twins were needed to entertain the fans and groom the young players. Think through these ruminations because some of them are silly. 

you lack imagination

who said the Sedins had to be traded to the same team?

$3.5 fro one Sedin was doable for a bunch of teams

2015 they were 70+ point players

probably could have gotten 2 seconds and a prospect each

Entertain the fans?

were you entertained by their last 4 years here?

Groom teh youngsters?

we cot Big Balls and 6X6 for that

• RoughGame 1