The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

aGENT

14 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

If we don’t address the pool this will be a constant cycle of giving up the future for now. We see it all the time. Especially with Canadian franchises cause of the pressure they have to win. I honestly think it’s a contributing factor to why a Canadian franchise hasn’t won since 93. We are too quick to jump out of the basement and we never end up with a mountain of prospects and futures. We are always trying to fill the holes on the fly. 

We are years away from concern when it comes to the prospect pool. First off we have a pretty good prospect pool, outside of our current NHLers that have been drafted in the last 5 years. 
Teams build through the draft and fine tune the team through trade and FA. 

I wouldnt say we are giving up “the future”. Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Demko, Hoglander…… these guys are the future. We will recoup talent in the years to come. We have solid core and that core will hold down the fort for the next 8+ Years. 

4-5 years of consecutive good drafting to assemble your core. We’ve got the core. Check

Develop  these players for a few years into NHL players. Done that as well, they made instant impacts. Check

The Canucks have one of the youngest cores in the NHL and is on the upward climb. All these other teams that have been winning for years are now looking ahead at where they will spend the next few years, which will be the basement. Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Tampa, Vegas etc…. Are all pretty stale teams and their cores are 29-30+ Their time is coming and so is ours. We have a plethora of prospects who are excelling in their respective leagues. We are doin fine man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't disagree with that in principle. Sometimes it does make sense to move a pick tho as long as it isn't detrimental to the future. 

In this case, if Dickinson is say a cost effective piece for 4 or 5 years then I see it as a win. If Benning had done this for a 30+ year old guy I could see the outrage. I also see that the gap is one of our own making. 

All I really care about is: can this guy help us prevent giving up the most shots in the league? 

What will prevent us from giving up the most shots in the league is having more than 2 lines that can maintain offensive possession. You can’t address that with sacrificing picks you can only address that by drafting puck possession players. 

another issue we have is we have no brand or identity. It’s like, what are we? A back and forth heavy team with speed? A puck possession team that cycles the puck? We don’t seem to stick with a style of player. Back in the 90’s there were players that played like Detroit redwings, or NJ Devils. Today you got Barry Trotz making a brand wherever he goes. You got the Avs building a puck possession brand. We look like a patch quilt through the organization. Then everyone cries that green only plays a dump and chase yet the players he has can’t cycle the puck. Our shots against are far more deep rooted than a defensive forward in the bottom 6. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Definitely. Coaching from Malhotra got Sutters face off percentage way up. 

I actually love this trade. Even if he can't move any salary out and we have to wait til next year for the big splash, I'm really happy he went with someone young, with lots of upside, and got it done below market value. 

There's some merit to waiting til next year too for the big move - whomever we draft this year might be ready to step in on an ELC next year. Podz and Hogs will be a year older and ready to play bigger roles. Podz could bump Pearson off the 2nd line by then. 

Imagine having all that cap room to put into our Defense. We'd go from one of the worst to the absolute best D corps overnight lol. 

Exactly and I for one can't wait to see this happen. I'd also get a top 6 forward next year with the D. I'm ok with being patient. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

What will prevent us from giving up the most shots in the league is having more than 2 lines that can maintain offensive possession. You can’t address that with sacrificing picks you can only address that by drafting puck possession players. 

sure, but he's likely going to be with Podkolzin who looks to be a possession beast in the making. 

4 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

another issue we have is we have no brand or identity. It’s like, what are we? A back and forth heavy team with speed? A puck possession team that cycles the puck? We don’t seem to stick with a style of player. Back in the 90’s there were players that played like Detroit redwings, or NJ Devils. Today you got Barry Trotz making a brand wherever he goes. You got the Avs building a puck possession brand. We look like a patch quilt through the organization. Then everyone cries that green only plays a dump and chase yet the players he has can’t cycle the puck. Our shots against are far more deep rooted than a defensive forward in the bottom 6. 

I'm hoping Shaw can bring in the needed expertise to make us a much better neutral zone team. That should help. Our team works hard, they deserve better coaching and I think that might have been addressed. 

7 minutes ago, awalk said:

For some reason, no matter who is running the team, we always seem to be short on prospects, assets, and cap space. Might have something to do with attempting to fill holes on the fly for the past 3 decades :lol:

Wow, I'm really curious to know what you think about Gillis then. :lol: We had next to no prospects to speak of, and yet you're complaining about prospects now? Gillis was the reason we had to even 'fill holes on the fly'.

The usual suspects here are just supporting their friends here, like Convincing John/lmm, but have no intention of discussing anything beyond their own opinions - even when they've been invalidated by other people.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The bold is just part of your glaring ignorance when it comes to this player. You claim to of 'watched him more than anyone else on here' and know more about him than other CDC users and yet you keep repeating that he is only 'under contract for 1 year' He is not under contract for 1 year... He is a RFA with arbitration rights. He is currently UNSIGNED and is in need of a new contract. 

Is he going to be the savior of the Canucks and carry the team to a Stanley Cup? No, and no one here is saying that he will. But you just seem to want to trash every move this team makes just for the sake of trashing the team. 

You want to keep bringing up that he is currently a 0.3 ppg career player but you don't want to mention that he spent most of last season on a line with an offensively struggling Benn and Gurianov, consistently matching up against and shutting down the other teams top two lines.

You also want to keep mentioning that he has a career faceoff percentage of 44.3% and that you want a 3C that 'can take defensive zone draws away from Horvat'. But you don't mention that Dickinson has gotten better at faceoffs every year for the last 3 years, almost as if players can improve with practice... to the point of being almost 47% at draws last season. And as for taking defensive draws Dickinson started over 60% of his shifts last season in the d zone and had the 2nd most shorthanded ice time of any Dallas forward. Clearly his last coach trusted him and his skills to use him in d zone faceoffs.

You can keep quoting off your surface level 5 second Google search stats but a little bit of in depth research shows very quickly how little you actually know about this player despite you claims of superior knowledge.

You know what I did not realize he wasn’t under contract. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Wow, I'm really curious to know what you think about Gillis then. :lol: We had next to no prospects to speak of, and yet you're complaining about prospects now? Gillis was the reason we had to even 'fill holes on the fly'.

The usual suspects here are just supporting their friends here, like Convincing John/lmm, but have no intention of discussing anything beyond their own opinions - even when they've been invalidated by other people.

Oh look, no thread is complete without Dazzle’s paper bags and blaming Gillis for stuff he did when half these posters were wearing diapers. 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Oh look, no thread is complete without Dazzle’s paper bags and blaming Gillis for stuff he did when half these posters were wearing diapers. 

I'm amused that Dickinson is a player you've watched so much, and you don't even know his status on his team. :picard:

Is it your MO to be negative, even if there's nothing to be negative about? You've been thoroughly embarrassed in this thread and you're whining about being targeted for having WRONG opinions.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

As a team we needed a 3rd line center bad. We are not a good defensive team so now we brought a guy that is very good at defense to go along with podz who is imo the best defensive forward in the NHL. Now teams will find it a lot harder to play us.

Podz has secretly been playing in the NHL under an alias? This is a bigger conspiracy than Price-gate!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I'm amused that Dickinson is a player you've watched so much, and you don't even know his status on his team. :picard:

Is it your MO to be negative, even if there's nothing that reasonably has nothing to be negative about?

Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn’t mean you’re any better than I am. We are both fans of the same team and we both have a different opinion. You don’t see me belittling anyone do you? All I have done is argued my point but everyone here acts like I’m doing harm to them or something. You people need to relax. I personally don’t think he is worth a 3rd round pick, get over it. 

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

You know what I did not realize he wasn’t under contract. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. 

16 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Seriously, you know nothing about hockey. If you did, you wouldn't use this line of logic. You also have no clue what Dickinson does.

Dickinson is a defensive stalwart. He is only ONE piece to the puzzle when it comes to shot suppression, which he is very capable of doing. If our shots against have problems, you need a player like Dickinson. You should know this because you watched him, right? :picard:

5 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’m getting hung here cause I don’t like giving up a 3rd for a 0.3ppg centre who can’t win face offs and only has one year left on his contract. It’s cool to be passionate about everything Jim Benning does but I have feelings. 

He has no years left in his contract. He is a RFA

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

JB did mention that he has played wing a fair amount. a 3rd round pick is not a heavy price for this player, I think it is a really good deal actually. He is a bottom 6 player we need and if we cannot get a better 3C then he is worth a shot. The price for mason Appleton was rumoured to be a 2nd and a prospect- no thanks to that, happier with the 3rd for this player.

I remember a time when fans used to say, "Jim may pay a little more but he gets that player he wants"

you sound a little more cost consious.

but then I looked up Jason Dickinson,hits

and this is what I found

https://www.google.com/search?q=jason+dickinson%2C+hit&rlz=1C1NNVC_enCA476CA478&oq=jason+dickinson%2C+hit&aqs=chrome..69i57.10560j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Seriously, you know nothing about hockey. If you did, you wouldn't use this line of logic. You also have no clue what Dickinson does.

Dickinson is a defensive stalwart. He is only ONE piece to the puzzle when it comes to shot suppression, which he is very capable of doing. If our shots against have problems, you need a player like Dickinson. You should know this because you watched him, right? :picard:

I don’t agree, you need to keep possession of the puck. Ours team has flaws that go further than a guy in the bottom 6. 

• RoughGame 1

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Honestly tho when have that 20+ mill opening up next season with only having to re-sign brock, rathbone and motte theirs no reason we cant take in bad contracts for draft picks. Especially if we can fix our defense this year. 

Sorry but imho, that is a bad idea that will undermine all progress being made and sacrificed for right now. Mediocre teams employ this tactic and it takes years to turn that around. No thx

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn’t mean you’re any better than I am. We are both fans of the same team and we both have a different opinion. You don’t see me belittling anyone do you? All I have done is argued my point but everyone here acts like I’m doing harm to them or something. You people need to relax. I personally don’t think he is worth a 3rd round pick, get over it. 

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve watched this player more than anyone running after me with pitchforks. I got banned when we signed Ferland because I was the only one disgusted that we signed a guy with an eggshell surrounding his brain. got absolutely bombed, just like this. 

sometimes CDC is a little unrealistically positive. Believe it or not, opinions against the consensus are valid sometimes. 

18 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Yes, I mean, I overshoot my pessimism for my own entertainment but ultimately I’d love to be wrong. Like I was saying before, I saw a lot of this guy on the local TV and have even watched him play live. There isn’t a-lot to talk about here. Is he a warrior? Absolutely, but how useful is a warrior to an army when he doesn’t know how to kill people. 

15 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Could it be that you don't know so much about the player as you pretend to be?

If you don't even know about his status as a player, that means you have gaps of knowledge. You also don't seem to be aware that our defensive problems stem from our massive shot against numbers, which Dickinson has traditionally been very good with. Therefore, Benning is addressing this aspect.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/18/tape-traits-jason-dickinson-elite-shot-suppressor-struggles-offence/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Again, you'
ve been proven that you know so little about the player that you're criticizing. Just learn to be quiet when this happens.

• Upvote 2