The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I respect people who give their opinions, positive or negative, but this guy seems to be going after every positive view with negative garbage. Once I saw his pattern I merely suggested people ignore him instead of engaging. This trade has been overwhelmingly accepted by readers here as positive and seems to be a good move by Benning. Not interested in a hug-a-thon, maybe this guy wasn't hugged enough as a child, which shows with his negative personality

That’s fair and I get where you’re coming from.

He’s said he’s a fan of the team and has made some good points.

He just doesn’t like this trade.  I don’t agree with him on that, like most of the ppl commenting, but then he got railed on for his opinion, so he decided to stir the pot because ppl were being condescending towards him. 

He’s even followed JD while being in Dallas and has formed an opinion based on that. Doesn’t make him right or wrong but at least it shows he does have some perspective and exposure to JD, more than most of us so far.

He’s a fan of the team. Neither you or I have any right to determine what makes anyone eligible in that way. This isn’t a competition. There’s a ton of Benning bashers here yet they’re still involved and express their POV. Why? Because whether they love or hate the team, in their own way they still support it. 

I LOVE this team. If you knew my history with it you’d understand how it is a major part of me, but I’m not some kumbaya boyscout. I like hearing the good and the bad, all perspectives, and I don’t want someone else determining what I get to hear from who and what I don’t. That’s all I’m trying to say.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I like Dickenson. I would like Vancouver to get one more top 6 UFA so Miller can play 3rd line C with Podkolzin. Granlund is the guy for me. He has a ton of skill and can play LW or C. 

Granlund Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Highmore Miller Podkolzin 

Motte Dickenson Lockwood  

MacEwan 

Hughes Hamonic 

Juolevi Myers 

Rathbone Bowey            

Brisebois Rafferty 

Demko 

Dipietro 

If we are looking for a small skilled player like Granlund (185lbs) that will cost in the vicinity of $4.5m for 4 years, then I would target Johnson from TBL ($5m for 3 years left) and you can probably get their 2022 1st round pick for taking him on. He has better pts/60, better faceoff %, and plays much more physical than Granlund without sacrificing the skill...

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, IRR said:

This!!

There's a handful of people on here that have a hate / negative agenda and it has nothing to do with their opinions and everything to do with their agenda / constantly going at the team, the owners, the gm, the coaches & the players, even when there's nothing to go at. Negative even re: the positives. Not sure they're fans, rather trolls or just haters. You see it thread after thread and post after post...same old theme with each of them and i have zero problem pointing it out, just as you did and others are doing. Enough is enough and i'm glad some of us are calling them out. 

Thank you for the support Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That’s fair and I get where you’re coming from.

He’s said he’s a fan of the team and has made some good points.

He just doesn’t like this trade.  I don’t agree with him on that, like most of the ppl commenting, but then he got railed on for his opinion, so he decided to stir the pot because ppl were being condescending towards him. 

He’s even followed JD while being in Dallas and has formed an opinion based on that. Doesn’t make him right or wrong but at least it shows he does have some perspective and exposure to JD, more than most of us so far.

He’s a fan of the team. Neither you or I have any right to determine what makes anyone eligible in that way. This isn’t a competition. There’s a ton of Benning bashers here yet they’re still involved and express their POV. Why? Because whether they love or hate the team, in their own way they still support it. 

I LOVE this team. If you knew my history with it you’d understand how it is a major part of me, but I’m not some kumbaya boyscout. I like hearing the good and the bad, all perspectives, and I don’t want someone else determining what I get to hear from who and what I don’t. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Good on you, sounds like were on the same page as far as being fans. No GM bats 1000% and theres good and bad in every move GM's make around the league

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's funny. The last 3rd rd pick to actually make an impact for the Canucks was Edler. Hopefully that changes soon.

Madden was part of a trade, that brought Toffoli, who made an impact for a few games

DiPietro has played  2 games in the NHL so far.

Lockwood, Will get a look next pre season.

Brisebois, meh 9 games

Tryamkin 79 games 

Yep, bit thin.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

another thought on dickinsons faceoff performance. check his elo rating 2500 https://hockeyeloratings.com/players/faceoffratings

dickinson is only likely to lose to very high percentage faceoff performers, Actually elo is a better metric to compare.

Draitsaital is 2576 ELO a is only likely to win 6/10 vs dickinson which is how many he would actually faceoff in a season.

The majority of players remain between 2575 and 2475 ELO.

also jay beagle/sutters/horvats major strength in faceoffs is when they touches the ice last where they had a 63%/56%/53% percentages last year.

Dickinson had a 51% percentage when he touched the ice first compared to beagle's and sutters matching 53% and horvats 47%

this is good news because we want to utilize horvat in more offensive situations (touch the puck first) and allows dickinson to excel in his defensive faceoffs

here is a chart for how to compare elo vs expected result.

Rating Difference Expected Result
for a player with higher ELO
Expected result
for a player with lower ELO
0 50% 50%
25 53% 47%
50 57% 43%
100 64% 36%
150 70% 30%
200 76% 24%
250 81% 19%

thinking back on the 2020 playoffs this makes sense why jay beahgle took so many offensive draws compared to his usual and why he was deployed more than 50% in those playoffs. Green was just trying to maximize possession, even if a faceoff was only worth 5 seconds.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If we are looking for a small skilled player like Granlund (185lbs) that will cost in the vicinity of $4.5m for 4 years, then I would target Johnson from TBL ($5m for 3 years left) and you can probably get their 2022 1st round pick for taking him on. He has better pts/60, better faceoff %, and plays much more physical than Granlund without sacrificing the skill...

Johnson doesnt play physical at all.  

Id rather have Granlund as he has a very high skill level and can play in top 6

Let's pretend Dickinson was in the draft this summer: even knowing what you know now about him you still take him with a third round pick. The trade was good. 

heck lets be honest: some clubs a late first or second. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

Madden was part of a trade, that brought Toffoli, who made an impact for a few games

DiPietro has played  2 games in the NHL so far.

Lockwood, Will get a look next pre season.

Brisebois, meh 9 games

Tryamkin 79 games 

Yep, bit thin.

Brisebois is flying under the radar but he should get a look this season.  Hes steady and does the little things well.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, it says he seen a lot of himself in Kesler. And douchey personality/antics aside, Kesler was a monster. Two-way beast and an elite shot. He's the kind of player I wish Horvat developed into. Imagine the leadership of the Sedins with the tenacity and shooting of Kesler? If Dickinson is Kesler-lite (as a player) that's a huge win for our bottom 6.

Horvats already at Kesler level.  Kesler had the luxury of Hank and Malhotra.  Bo has a 3rd year Petey and really no one else to take any pressure off of him.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He shouldn’t. That number wreaks of failed potential.

Canucks who have worn 18:

Steve Kariya

Fedor Fedorov 

Steve Bernier

Cam Barker

Ryan Stanton

Jake Virtanen

Time to throw that number away. Let him wear 17, 20, 21, or 224-29

Unfortunately 21 is already taken...

tumblr_otms12KReM1ua1vrwo1_500 (1).gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I respect people who give their opinions, positive or negative, but this guy seems to be going after every positive view with negative garbage. Once I saw his pattern I merely suggested people ignore him instead of engaging. This trade has been overwhelmingly accepted by readers here as positive and seems to be a good move by Benning. Not interested in a hug-a-thon, maybe this guy wasn't hugged enough as a child, which shows with his negative personality

I'm interested in a hug-a-thon

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I dont give a flying f*** about Dickinsons stats. What I love most and what gives me a lot of excitement about this kid is his belief in himself and his desire to play the match up game and how much he yearns for the task of shutting down the top players and how he is so deeply driven to be better than the guy across from him. I am going to say it now,with Dickinsons mindset and his drive, he is going to score a big goal at some point either in the regular season that gets this team through a struggle or at some point in the playoffs ala burrows slaying the dragon. Maybe not a SCF GWG series clinching goal, but I get the feeling he will be the guy to lift us through a slump or help us break through a struggle against a stingy team or a hot goalie. Maybe im getting a bit ahead of myself, but his confidence about his defensive game and his belief in having more Offence to add just screams hero 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Johnson doesnt play physical at all.  

Id rather have Granlund as he has a very high skill level and can play in top 6

Haha guess you never watched them play. You clearly have no idea. Johnson was 2C during TBLs cup win in 2020. He played 4C this run due to their depth, and he is skilled enough to play in the top 6 on a contender and physical enough to play in their bottom 6. Don't be fooled by the fact that TBL have been trying to move him due to their cap issues. I think Johnson actually has more skill and is more versatile than Granlund. This last season Granlund scored 1.6 pts/60 and had 134 hits averaging 18.28 mins per game. Johnson scored at 1.8 pts/60 had 175 hits averaging 14.52 mins per game. Johnson could play as our 3C or as Horvat's 2RW, whereas Granlund would likely only play 2RW, he doesn't play like a 3C should.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2