The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

13 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Why don’t we just have 2 goalies on the ice? If you think a shot suppresser is the key, let’s just play 2 goalies. 

I have a plan for you:

Step 1 - watch a couple hockey games so you can get a feel for the sport, the rules and generally any aspect of this game. 
Step 2 - Go to other forums or Reddit and see how good trolls go about their business. Take some notes about specifics such as having a point, or learning what the words you type actually mean. 
Step 3 - this one is extremely important...stop talking. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Amebushi said:

I have a plan for you:

Step 1 - watch a couple hockey games so you can get a feel for the sport, the rules and generally any aspect of this game. 
Step 2 - Go to other forums or Reddit and see how good trolls go about their business. Take some notes about specifics such as having a point, or learning what the words you type actually mean. 
Step 3 - this one is extremely important...stop talking. 

K

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dickinson shifted around Dallas’ middle-six last season filling in as the team’s 3rd-line center and 2nd-line left winger while putting up impressive underlying defensive numbers. According to Evolving Hockey, Dickinson was in the 97th percentile for defensive value in their model. 

While past statistics are not always the best indicators of future outcomes, the numbers, when combined with video, do show that Dickinson was exceptionally effective at suppressing offence last season. And the fact that Dickinson is still in his athletic prime makes it a good bet that his defensive acumen should continue during his early years with the Vancouver Canucks. 

But for a middle-six center that can play up and down the lineup and on the wing, can kill penalties, and is among the league’s elite at suppressing chances against, Dickinson fills an enormous need in Vancouver’s top-nine. If Green can use a third line led by Dickinson to limit the opposition’s best while also winning the shot attempt battle, that should bode very well for a team with a top-six that can be lethal on the scoresheet.

(Source: https://canucksarmy.com/2021/07/18/tape-traits-jason-dickinson-elite-shot-suppressor-struggles-offence/)

But of course, you'll just regurgitate your wrong opinions of Dickinson right? He's 'just' a "one dimensional Ryan Johnson" right? You're so clueless.

But what does Evolving Hockey know about anything? Don't you know that John watched all there games last year so he knows more than anyone in the world about Jason's capabilities?

Haha, what a joke. Alright Dazzle have a good one I'm out of this topic.

I think it's a great trade and I'm excited to see how this and future moves will affect the team next year.

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

A useful piece for what? Getting knocked out of the first round? 

Didn't Dickinson play in the Stanley Cup final last year playing over 16 minutes a night and over 2 minutes a game on the penalty kill?  Why would Dallas be playing him over 16 minutes a night in a series to win the Cup if he wasn't any good?

Just because you live in Texas doesn't mean you know any more about the player than anyone else on this forum.  As for a 3rd round pick, in the last 7 years the 3rd round picks Benning has chosen are Tyler Madden, Michael DiPietro, William Lockwood, Guillaume Brisebois and Nikita Tryamkin.  Are any of those guys currently playing in the NHL?  Are any of those guys playing on a line with Jamie Benn?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I do understand and appreciate what your idea is, I just don’t think we need to take on anymore dead weight contracts for draft picks. If it was for IR spots perhaps, but dead weight contracts generally take up roster spots on an active roster and what I think this team really needs to do is keep up its momentum and get some of the younger players some more quality playing time earlier on in their careers. This way we have a far better understanding and analysis of who and what can replace who and what from within going forward.

It’s less costly.

It also enables for less guess work when it comes to drafting in the future…if you have a decent talent pool in the system you can decide between BPA at the draft or picking for positional need, or even just asset accumulation for future trade.

We’re built now for both the short term and 5-6 year future, but it would be unwise to rest on our laurels and take on extra money for picks. Take on extra money for key, dynamic NHL players that will continue to help us make the playoffs and possibly contend. You never know who hits a contract stalemate with their club and becomes available by trade or UFA. 

Based on where we are I’d economize for exactly that every year going forward during the flat cap era, if possible.

Well im just saying if we have lets say 10 mill of unused cap space i dont see why we ourselves cant take in a contract of a player like loui that we dont even have to play really and acquire draft pics where we could use to either trade or draft with. Instead of using the money theres better options for us to pursue. I mean we can do that till we need the space for players maybe even for just one year.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, how's the Bottom 6 looking?  (assuming Sutter walks and Roussel and Virtanen are bought out)

Motte - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Beagle - MacEwen

Xtras

Lind

Lockwood

Gadjovich

The additions of Dickinson and Podz make a big improvement.  I love that third line.  Motte has better offensive upside than most think and all have high motors.

• Cheers 4

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well im just saying if we have lets say 10 mill of unused cap space i dont see why we ourselves cant take in a contract of a player like loui that we dont even have to play really and acquire draft pics where we could use to either trade or draft with. Instead of using the money theres better options for us to pursue. I mean we can do that till we need the space for players maybe even for just one year.

Sure maybe single year contracts. 
Personally, I’d love to see us keep that cap space up until the trade deadline and then use it to pick up depth players for a playoff run. Players who aren’t brought in to take over someone else’s role on a team that as a group made it that far, but solid UFA bound depth, character players who can fill a void when it inevitably comes up during the playoff run. We shouldn’t be having to be counting on (or worse, hoping) that inexperienced players like a Chatfield or OJ can carry the requisite load of an Edler or Myers due to injury, suspension, etc come playoff time. It undermines everyone’s confidence and the playoff teams that go deep do not lack in confidence one bit. 

Remember, playoff games are like gold to ownership in terms of $$$. 

• Cheers 1

Who knows? With JB’s drafting record, we could get Seth Jones. We are focusing on fixing something that can’t be addressed with our cap space. This organization needs to focus on replenishing our prospect pool so we have these guys to graduate when our time comes. We are trading away picks and prospects for quick fixes the last few seasons and it’s starting to reflect on our pool. Look at Hoglander and Rathbone. We are giving chances away for more players like this down the road when we are actually on the verge of contention. Jim is too good at drafting to be throwing picks around for immediate marginal improvement. 

We are giving up a 3rd round pick, not the first, not the 2nd. Funny the two players you picked as examples: Hoglander - 2nd Round, Rathbone - 4th Round ;)

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

On the flip side, and where I totally agree with you, is if ideally we’re considered a contender each year, then our draft picks will constantly be situated towards the latter part of each round, sooo trading for dead weight cap that includes an improvement in draft position makes a lot of sense.

• Cheers 1

I would like to see us sign Larsson and McCabe and Hamonic now and  trade Myers for Domi 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander 

Domi Dickinson Podkolzin 

Highmore Beagle Motte 

Hughes Larsson

McCabe Schmidt 

Rathbone Hamonic 

Demko 

_________

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, RWJC said:

I’m gonna play devil’s (CJ) advocate here and ask aloud:

if Dickinson’s metrics show that he’s a better player defensively than Radek Faksa, who is a year older, and has a 3.25mill cap hit until 2024/25, then why did DAL decide to let JD go?

Faksa arguably is better on O (depending what lines he’s up against), but also has a nagging wrist injury that flares up from time to time.

Aside from JD requiring a new contract where the Faksa $ value is a direct comparable, what would prompt DAL to decide he’s the one that’s expendable?

I realize they are basically the same player with slightly different strengths, but even with that considered, why Faksa over Dickinson?

Who is it in their system that can be groomed to replace JD’s role on the cheap?

And did DAL move on from JD because Faksa is the better option to play around the top 9 if necessary?

Why not keep him as their 4th line C/W?

Thoughts?

Faksa is incredibly good. He has got many Selke votes in the past, even placed 7th in Selke voting in 2018.

I don’t expect Dickinson to be that good. If he was, we weren’t getting him for only a 3rd round pick. But he’s still a good player, and at a great acquisition price.

• Cheers 1

A useful piece for what? Getting knocked out of the first round? 

I guess you didn't live in texas the year before when Dallas went to the 6th game of the finals...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kenhodgejr said:

I would like to see us sign Larsson and McCabe and Hamonic now and  trade Myers for Domi 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander 

Domi Dickinson Podkolzin 

Highmore Beagle Motte 

Hughes Larsson

McCabe Schmidt 

Rathbone Hamonic 

Demko 

_________

I like the look of that. Good call.

Can you add Zadorov as a back up plan just in case, please? Haha 

• Cheers 1