The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

I think I might be starting to come around on using our pick for Reinhart and trying to snag a D in free agency. Considering what the higher end forwards are looking for in free agency, it makes more sense to trade for a younger, somewhat cost controlled forward. D seem to have longer shelf lives than forwards, so it doesn't scare me as much giving a Dman a retirement contract than giving a forward one.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kind of get Tim Schaller vibes from Dickinson. Just feels like it's not enough.

How is the free agent signing of a formerly undrafted, 28.5 year old late-bloomer with 176 career games anything like the trade for a former 1st rounder, 26 year-old with 221 games already under his belt?

Dickinson is a valuable player that was only available (let alone for so cheap) because of the expansion draft. Schaller was available to the highest bidder, and we were likely the only one to offer 2 x 1.9M.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

The problem I have is I base my opinion on what I see. CDC bases their opinion on what they hope. 

You are making it sound like this guy can win face offs or something. He also doesn’t even play like a centre. The only reason he is in there is because he doesn’t give up the middle of the ice. Good defensively but has no idea what to do with the puck. 

this isn’t football guys, you can’t just play defence and you can’t just play offence. He is a 1 dimensional player that will do nothing for offensive chemistry in the bottom 6. This guy isn’t worth a 3rd. With JB’s drafting record a third isn’t nothing. 

You must be a blast at parties with the endless optimism. There are A LOT of players in the league that really only excel on one side of the puck. Chris Tanev rarely made anything happen offensively but few will say he was useless. This is a player that has elite shot suppression stats, is great on the penalty kill and brings a skill set that we can use. Once again I will ask as you chose not to answer, what do you want?  You base your opinion on what you see, not what you hope so what do you see as a better option that is available for a third round pick?  Would we be better to put Miller in as 3rd line Center and a plug on the wing of the first line?  Lots of whining but very little as far as plausible suggestions. More moves are needed, but a team full of offensive minded players makes us the Laffs. Face offs can be taught and we have other players that can help with that too. I would rather see this move than a big blockbuster trade for a bigger name. To each their own I suppose. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I'd rather use the 9thOA for a D and if we can dump some salary great

true, but I don't see many teams giving us a top pairing RHD just for this years 9th. But if we can get Sammy and unload Loui we can find a defensemen on the open market. 

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think I might be starting to come around on using our pick for Reinhart and trying to snag a D in free agency. Considering what the higher end forwards are looking for in free agency, it makes more sense to trade for a younger, somewhat cost controlled forward. D seem to have longer shelf lives than forwards, so it doesn't scare me as much giving a Dman a retirement contract than giving a forward one.

Miller-Petey-Boser

Pearson-Bo-Reinhart

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

is a pretty interesting top 9. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

true, but I don't see many teams giving us a top pairing RHD just for this years 9th. But if we can get Sammy and unload Loui we can find a defensemen on the open market. 

I think a 9th would be a starting point for a top 2 d man to play with QH, but Im ok with adding a prospect or maybe  a 2022 2nd

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

The problem I have is I base my opinion on what I see. CDC bases their opinion on what they hope. 

You are making it sound like this guy can win face offs or something. He also doesn’t even play like a centre. The only reason he is in there is because he doesn’t give up the middle of the ice. Good defensively but has no idea what to do with the puck. 

this isn’t football guys, you can’t just play defence and you can’t just play offence. He is a 1 dimensional player that will do nothing for offensive chemistry in the bottom 6. This guy isn’t worth a 3rd. With JB’s drafting record a third isn’t nothing. 

Your optimism is amazing!  A third round pick isn’t nothing...and neither is a third line Center that can PK while suppressing  shots at a high level. I’m glad to “base your opinions on what you see” before even seeing him play a single minute on this team. 

This isn’t football, and it would be better if he had higher face off wins or better skating skills, but would also cost more in terms of assets and salary (which we have very little of either). There are many one dimensional players in the league and they perform well if placed on lines with balance. Quinn Hughes is not know for being very good defensively but his high levels of offence make him a desirable player. This team has Pettersen, Hughes, JT, Bo, and many more that can fill the net. It’s a one year commitment with almost no down side.  At least it’s not a six year commitment to an aging vet to fill this role. 

• Cheers 2

I’m gonna play devil’s (CJ) advocate here and ask aloud:

if Dickinson’s metrics show that he’s a better player defensively than Radek Faksa, who is a year older, and has a 3.25mill cap hit until 2024/25, then why did DAL decide to let JD go?

Faksa arguably is better on O (depending what lines he’s up against), but also has a nagging wrist injury that flares up from time to time.

Aside from JD requiring a new contract where the Faksa $ value is a direct comparable, what would prompt DAL to decide he’s the one that’s expendable?

I realize they are basically the same player with slightly different strengths, but even with that considered, why Faksa over Dickinson?

Who is it in their system that can be groomed to replace JD’s role on the cheap?

And did DAL move on from JD because Faksa is the better option to play around the top 9 if necessary?

Why not keep him as their 4th line C/W?

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I’m gonna play devil’s (CJ) advocate here and ask aloud:

if Dickinson’s metrics show that he’s a better player defensively than Radek Faksa, who is a year older, and has a 3.25mill cap hit until 2024/25, then why did DAL decide to let JD go?

Faksa arguably is better on O (depending what lines he’s up against), but also has a nagging wrist injury that flares up from time to time.

Aside from JD requiring a new contract where the Faksa $ value is a direct comparable, what would prompt DAL to decide he’s the one that’s expendable?

I realize they are basically the same player with slightly different strengths, but even with that considered, why Faksa over Dickinson?

Who is it in their system that can be groomed to replace JD’s role on the cheap?

And did DAL move on from JD because Faksa is the better option to play around the top 9 if necessary?

Why not keep him as their 4th line C/W?

Thoughts?

First off I'd say having <6 mil in cap space and he's arbitration eligible. 2nd I'd say size, Faska is bigger. 3rd he is better on face offs. 

• Cheers 4

Not interested in trading the 9OA for Reinhart. If he really wants to play in Vancouver we can wait a year and sign him as a UFA when we have more cap room. 

We already traded our top 2 picks last year. We are not gonna trade our 1st and 3rd this year as well.  Benning will stock the cupboard and pick a stud with the 9OA and he will be cost controlled for several years. 

We need to focus on the D right now. We need at least 2 new D, maybe 3 if we trade Schmidt. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

First off I'd say having <6 mil in cap space and he's arbitration eligible. 2nd I'd say size, Faska is bigger. 3rd he is better on face offs. 

So essentially we’re getting Radek Faksa lite with a slight D upgrade. 
Would CDC have been happy with trading a 3rd (and essentially a Gadj or Lind) for Faksa straight up?

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Would CDC have been happy with trading a 3rd (and essentially a Gadj or Lind) for Faksa straight up?

I would think so. But Dallas is so cap squeezed they really need him, so I don't think that would have been enough to get him. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

that’s how I view/asses this trade now and in further retrospect 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

D9055FCE-28A7-4843-87F7-B19C64841363.png

Welcome home.

With an attitude like that, fan fave already.

Played a bunch against McDavid as well.

See what happens there…

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 4

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not interested in trading the 9OA for Reinhart. If he really wants to play in Vancouver we can wait a year and sign him as a UFA when we have more cap room. 

We already traded our top 2 picks last year. We are not gonna trade our 1st and 3rd this year as well.  Benning will stock the cupboard and pick a stud with the 9OA and he will be cost controlled for several years. 

We need to focus on the D right now. We need at least 2 new D, maybe 3 if we trade Schmidt. 

Don’t buy out Eriksson, and that’s Reinhardt money right there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1