The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

thinking

to VGK - Schmidt and Holtby - just over 10 mil, Schmidt happily goes back to Vegas and they get a good replacement for backup

to VAN - Fleury and Stephenson - just under 10 mil, Fleury for one season while DiPietrro gets ready for 2022/23, and a good #3C

I think if Vancouver trades Schmidt and Holtby they want what ever picks they can get and then use the 10M in cap space to sign 2 right side D-men, a 3rd or 4th line center and a cheaper backup goalie. 

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Looks like we're phoning up David Savard's agent in a few days then haha

Regardless of whether we actually get Savard, I wonder how much he's going to go for. I've noticed some people throwing out numbers north of $5 mil...I'm not so sure about that, but I guess we'll find out. 

Friedman predicts he’ll sign in Montreal - he’s apparently their main target to replace Weber. 

56 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

difference between Canucks and other teams when it comes to drafting is that other teams have a much higher rate of success with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Romanov as a second rounder just one example.

It's a joke - I can't say it in other words - that Canucks have zero prospects in the system than can step in and play 3C or 4C. On defence it's only Woo who might make it to the NHL. Canucks amateur and pro scouts have done a poor job over the last couple of years.

Dahlen a miss. Goldobin a miss, Leipsic a miss. Chatfield a miss, Rafferty a miss. Gadjovich most likely a miss because he can't skate, Lockwood a miss won't make it, most likely.

Best way for Jim is to trade 2nd and 3rd round picks away because Canucks won't strike with those picks.

This franchise isn't going anywhere.

Some noteable Vancouver Canucks first round picks lately: 

Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Podkolzin, Virtanen, McCann, Petterson

Canadians first round picks lately:

Ryan Poehling? Noah Juulsen?? Nikita Scherbak??!? MIchael McCarron!?!?!?

Noteable second round Vancouver picks:

Demko, Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, 

Noteable secound rount recent picks by Montreal:

Lehkonen, Romanov... and uh... PK Subban in 2007?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

difference between Canucks and other teams when it comes to drafting is that other teams have a much higher rate of success with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Romanov as a second rounder just one example.

It's a joke - I can't say it in other words - that Canucks have zero prospects in the system than can step in and play 3C or 4C. On defence it's only Woo who might make it to the NHL. Canucks amateur and pro scouts have done a poor job over the last couple of years.

Dahlen a miss. Goldobin a miss, Leipsic a miss. Chatfield a miss, Rafferty a miss. Gadjovich most likely a miss because he can't skate, Lockwood a miss won't make it, most likely.

Best way for Jim is to trade 2nd and 3rd round picks away because Canucks won't strike with those picks.

This franchise isn't going anywhere.

This is funny because Canucks are good with drafting. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Demko, Rathbone, Di Pietro etc. They are a lot better than most other teams with drafting and Canucks get all these talents with usually less than 6 draft picks most years. Give Benning 4 picks in the 1st round and he could get a couple of gems out of those 4 picks. No other GM in Canucks history has had this much drafting success.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Is it possible - cap wise - to keep him?

- OEL        7.3 M

- Myers      6,0 M

- Schmidt   6.0 M

- Hughes    6.0 M - that's a guess to be fair.

- Harmonic 2.0M

I can't see it.

Maybe possible if they use a 750k player at 4th line center and third pairing right side D but if we traded him we could use that cap space more effectively so I don’t even really care what the return is on a Schmidt trade but of course they should get as much as they can. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think at this point any trade is probably more of a 1 for 1 swap for a right hand d.

Someone that is not as good as Schmidt and cost a shade less. 

-Trade Holtby for scraps

-Sign backup goalie for 1.5 mill or less

-Keep Shchmidt

-Use the left over Holtby money to bring in a D man (Ryan Murray, David Savard type) 

Any money left for Hughes and Petey after that?

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Probably not.

Hughes, Petterson, Dickinson, Garland, Juolevi, and maybe Hamonic still left to be signed. Cap Friendly says we have 18.79 mill in space right now. 

Hughes and Petey @7

Dickinson at 1.75

Garland at 3

Juolevi at 1.25

Hamonic at .... 2.5 maybe?? 

That totals 22.5 million, and my salary projections could obviously be off as well. So Holtby would have to go, and Virtanen possibly bought out, and that still wouldn't leave room for a new D man if we keep Schmidt unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Hughes, Petterson, Dickinson, Garland, Juolevi, and maybe Hamonic still left to be signed. Cap Friendly says we have 18.79 mill in space right now. 

Hughes and Petey @7

Dickinson at 1.75

Garland at 3

Juolevi at 1.25

Hamonic at .... 2.5 maybe?? 

That totals 22.5 million, and my salary projections could obviously be off as well. So Holtby would have to go, and Virtanen possibly bought out, and that still wouldn't leave room for a new D man if we keep Schmidt unfortunately. 

Putting Ferland onto LTIR will clear another $3.5m

Garland will cost closer to $5m, Dickinson around $2.5m

Edited by BigTramFan

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Putting Ferland onto LTIR will clear another $3.5m

Garland will cost closer to $5m, Dickinson around $2.5m

I would bet Benning fights hard in these negotiations after getting bent over with bad contracts in the past. Garland 4 mill tops, and Dickinson 2 mill tops. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

He's currently on IR, not LTIR

Isn’t that the off season rule though?  Then, opening game guys like Ferland (and a bunch of others who are finished due to medical reasons) get moved to LTIR.