The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

I called a deal like this long ago…. Sans Garland…. I was thinking Dvorak at the time…

I love it.  It makes so much sense to me. We will still have cap opening next season.

Holtby and Schmidt still OTB along with free agency…  more moves to come. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Honestly Guenther was the player I was the least stoked about out of the big 9 this year, so this definitely takes the sting off from trading the pick. 

Same here. Kind of happy Clarke only made it to 8 or we would have never heard the end of it.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

Don't joke. Dylan Guenther was a top 3-4 ranked prospect on most scouting lists. He'd have been a score at 9.

Dylan Guenther is overrated and an RW. We got the better winger in Connor Garland who is proven. In fact I doubt arizona would have given up Garland for what they picked. I would have been a bit pissed if it was Brandt or Edvinsson but now I know benning did good. Only an overrated Guenther and a great goalie we never needed was on board for 9 and 10

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Moe Knows said:

The Hockey reporters are saying we got the short end because of OEL's salary hit for 6 years. I think one outlet gave us a D+. I don't know..I want it to be a good trade but I have a bad feeling about this. So hope I'm wrong.

Button likes it, for what its worth.

I do too. The more I think about it, the more I realize that we already have the core in place. They will improve over time, but they're here. We have Hoglander up. Podz up. Our previous best prospect in Rathbone up. Besides maybe a further tweak on d, I feel this is basically the team that is expected to win the cup.

Our time to rise really is now, and Benning clearly feels the same way and he's pressing now.

It's nice to be optimistic about this team again, and I am certain we are going to be truly competitive, if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

The Hockey reporters are saying we got the short end because of OEL's salary hit for 6 years. I think one outlet gave us a D+. I don't know..I want it to be a good trade but I have a bad feeling about this. So hope I'm wrong.

It is a big risk.

But I understand that he has a friendly buy out contract.  So there's that, if he turns into LE 2.0.  I'd be stoked if he bounced back in his play, and was a consistent top 2 for 3 years.

tbh it's not that bad of a trade.. though i would have preferred next year 1st rather than this years.. as assuming we make the playoff it would be a much later pick. i would have tossed an extra 5th or something just to delay it 1 year. some are complaining about how long OEL contract is etc etc.. sure it's a big contract and it's risky.. but by the 5-6th year of the contract the cap would prolly go up by then.. if not we are in big trouble as humanity if things are not some what back to normal by then. regardless of how you look at it OEL improves the defense right away. he literally just replaces edler in terms of cap space.. 

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

tbh it's not that bad of a trade.. though i would have preferred next year 1st rather than this years.. as assuming we make the playoff it would be a much later pick. i would have tossed an extra 5th or something just to delay it 1 year. some are complaining about how long OEL contract is etc etc.. sure it's a big contract and it's risky.. but by the 5-6th year of the contract the cap would prolly go up by then.. if not we are in big trouble as humanity if things are not some what back to normal by then. regardless of how you look at it OEL improves the defense right away. he literally just replaces edler in terms of cap space.. 

His contract is fairly buy out friendly if he declines to that point.

Hopefully a resurgence from him playing on a new team.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Basically, it's "Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, Dylan Guenther, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland".

I would trade 2nd and Guenther for 25 year old Garland every day without even blinking. the 7th round in 2023 is basically nothing. Also getting rid of 12 million dead space to solve our cap problem this year and maybe fix our D for a 7 million dollar OEL. OEL can play in our top 4 and am sure he will rebound with a better coach and team

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I'll be honest, I was looking over Capfriendly's history of Canucks trades, and I'm not sure the Canucks have truly "lost" a trade since 2016 when they dealt McCann for Gudbranson. And even the guys that were drafted with the picks the Canucks sent over haven't amounted to much. In fact, nobody from the McCann/Gudbranson deals are still with either the Canucks and/or Panthers. McCann is in Seattle, Gudbranson was last in Nashville, Asplund (the guy picked with the 2nd rounder) is in Buffalo, and Jonathan Ang (the guy picked with the 4th rounder) had his entry level deal terminated on unconditional waivers and is playing in Switzerland.

It's a big swing by the Canucks obviously but we were paying Alex Edler 6 million in his 33 and 34 year old seasons. We'll be paying OEL 7 million in his 33 and 34 year old seasons, theoretically, and I expect OEL to be at Edler's level when he's Edler's current age in terms of "decline". Also the buyout hit isn't terrible (something like 1.8 million for 3 years) if OEL is bought out in the final two years of his deal. So it's not a nightmare.

And Garland is a big get. Been a fan for ages. He's gonna be a fan favorite. And this pushes Pearson to the third line. Podz being mentored by Dickinson and Pearson on the third line is gonna be fun to watch.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2