The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

52 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

Benning basically saying he made the trade based on OEL regaining his form from 5+ years ago. Cross yo' fingers. These kind of bets don't work out too often. Probability is players that start a 2-3 year decline, continue it regardless of age.

His most expensive reclamation acquisition yet

How did the other cheaper ones go?

Do people think we are Cup contenders now?

Where will the new skilled cheaper players come when we are?

A huge risk if you don't consider this making us cup contenders do you not believe?

• RoughGame 2

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Nobody noticed Conor Garland because he played for the worst run,   most under supported team in NHL history.  That's about to change . OEL played for them for 10 years also while trying to stay motivated.  Nobody could enjoy that. These two are more then welcome to Vancouver to me. Can't wait 

His entire NHL career playing on such a lacklustre team.  That would be so dreary for a pro athlete.  Just soul sucking.

First reaction was WTF, but after reflection JB moved us from a cap problem to in the cat bird seat while improving us for the mid-term.  He can now make all his remaining off-seasons moves without the cap at his back and other than re-signing Hamonic had no need to pay UFAs

OEL at 7 M at 35-36 vs Edler 6 M at the same age is a simlar risk in my mind and much better than forking out 6x6 to LE at 30

Garland let’s us move Miller to third line C with Podz plus to roll 3 scoring lines

I am OK with this, not what I would’ve done but I respect it

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Button likes it, for what its worth.

I do too. The more I think about it, the more I realize that we already have the core in place. They will improve over time, but they're here. We have Hoglander up. Podz up. Our previous best prospect in Rathbone up. Besides maybe a further tweak on d, I feel this is basically the team that is expected to win the cup.

Our time to rise really is now, and Benning clearly feels the same way and he's pressing now.

It's nice to be optimistic about this team again, and I am certain we are going to be truly competitive, if nothing else.

This is the point.  We have already drafted an entire core.  Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone.  That’s eight integral parts of the team.  Even Tampa, the pinnacle of drafting, acquired the rest of their roster through free agency and trades.  There’s still a lot of work to do, including drafting assets that can be later exchanged for holes, but the core is there and we have augmented the core with this trade and the JT Miller trade two years ago

So we basically paid Arizona a first rounder, a 2nd and a 7th to take 3 expiring contracts off our hands and we get back in return 1 very bad long term contract and a RFA who wants more $$$??  What the hell is Benning smoking?

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 6

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So there's that, if he turns into LE 2.0.

Easily Benning's worst move. But honestly, any GM would make that signing, as it made sense for several reasons.

Nobody could have predicted Loui would cash in and check out so quickly. I've only seen it happen a few times in the modern era where a player transforms from a really strong winner of a player to an absolute disgrace over an offseason.

Point being, he's going to be fine. Just fine.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, J-Strap said:

So we basically paid Arizona a first rounder, a 2nd and a 7th to take 3 expiring contracts off our hands and we get back in return 1 very bad long term contract and a RFA who wants more $$$??  What the hell is Benning smoking?

Nope. What we did is get a an absolute stud. One of the best dmen in the league. Added a beauty of a grinder. Made us ready to compete. And dropped a pile of garbage contracts and freed up spots and cap. All for a projected 2nd line winger who may or may not be bust and no one will know for years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I was uneasy when i heard that benning made a trade. It “seemed” like a knee jerk reaction, swing for the fences in an attempt to save his job move. I wasnt impressed with taking cap back, despite offloading the dead weight, and losing out on the ninth and second rounder. Ive learned to give benning the benefit of the doubt with his trades since Miller so i held my thoughts to see how the draft panned out. 

Once again, i realize how shrewd benning actually is. Its like he knew what would be left at number nine. He really is on a whole other level on draft day. I think only a few other gms come close to it. 

• Cheers 3