The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That was almost the goal of the year. Klimovich looks like a bigger version of Pavel Bure. I think he has more raw talent than Podkolzin. 

He’s only 19 as well. I said a long time ago he is better than Dylan Guenther. I still stand by that comment. He’s a top 6 player in the NHL. 

If we can land one of the 3 centres in the draft this year we should be set for the next decade. 

Petey and Kuzy 

Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and Klimovich 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Right… and two fifth overall picks ended up nowhere: Juolevi and Virtanen.

Juolevi due to 2 consecutive season ending surgeries, Virtanen, you can feel free to beat on Benning for that....although, he was also the choice of MANY people on this site!

• Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Juolevi due to 2 consecutive season ending surgeries, Virtanen, you can feel free to beat on Benning for that....although, he was also the choice of MANY people on this site!

Imo, Virtanen was an Aquaman pick.  Hometown boy, power forward star and lots of golz leads to $ in the bank.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That was almost the goal of the year. Klimovich looks like a bigger version of Pavel Bure. I think he has more raw talent than Podkolzin. 

He’s only 19 as well. I said a long time ago he is better than Dylan Guenther. I still stand by that comment. He’s a top 6 player in the NHL. 

If we can land one of the 3 centres in the draft this year we should be set for the next decade. 

Petey and Kuzy 

Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and Klimovich 

Small correction - he turned 20 on January 9th.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, Virtanen was an Aquaman pick.  Hometown boy, power forward star and lots of golz leads to $ in the bank.

I don't buy into the idea that Aqualini, a billionaire who controls a massive business empire, has the time to micromanage who the pick is. I think that Benning and Linden were hoping to find someone along the lines of Neely.

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Do you remember the row Juolevi had with his hockey federation at the world junior? His biggest problems were in his head... just like Virtanen.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dan Milstein: "There is a plan with Danila.  He will be an NHL player.  He will be a star in the NHL.  He will be in the NHL in 1-2 years"...

he certainly believes in his players, good for him. I find his tweets a little unprofessional actually but I am sure Kuz loves it.

38 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Do you remember the row Juolevi had with his hockey federation at the world junior? His biggest problems were in his head... just like Virtanen.

It's possible there was some of that going on, but we'll never know for sure. What we do know is, he had constant injury problems after his draft class and never seemed to be able to put together more than a month without winding up back on IR. You can't develop and round out a game when constantly on IR.

There's plenty of other stuff to get on Benning about, I give him a pass on this one. Clairvoyance isn't a required job description for GM

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

Small correction - he turned 20 on January 9th.

Do you still keep in touch with him Roman? He is having a great year. It's great to see his confidence growing so much. Totally different player than last year. I'm rooting for him hard! I think we all are.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Torts was an Aquaman coach 

Aqua just hasn't done much good when meddling too much with the team. 

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think that Benning and Linden were hoping to find someone along the lines of Neely

Virtanen had all the physical tools and he'd be still in the NHL if it wasn't for the sexual allegation that was thrown away in court. 

I know he was trending down from his 20 goal season, but he would've had a spot on most teams as a guy that would sign for league minimum to play on the 3rd/4th line. 

So I totally get why they picked Virtanen.  You have to remember that Canucks passing on a local BC player in the same mold (Milan Lucic) haunted us for a while. 

Anyways enough about Virt, back to Danila. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Virtanen had all the physical tools and he'd be still in the NHL if it wasn't for the sexual allegation that was thrown away in court. 

I know he was trending down from his 20 goal season, but he would've had a spot on most teams as a guy that would sign for league minimum to play on the 3rd/4th line. 

So I totally get why they picked Virtanen.  You have to remember that Canucks passing on a local BC player in the same mold (Milan Lucic) haunted us for a while. 

Anyways enough about Virt, back to Danila. 

I agree with you. Also, that draft class wasn't the strongest overall. Virtanen had speed and strength and a great shot, just couldn't put it together in the NHL. I don't think his hockey IQ was all that high which prevented him from working effectively in the bottom 6. 

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Do you still keep in touch with him Roman? He is having a great year. It's great to see his confidence growing so much. Totally different player than last year. I'm rooting for him hard! I think we all are.

Yes, I do. He's doing great. I'm planning to head to Abby's game some time soon.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with you. Also, that draft class wasn't the strongest overall. Virtanen had speed and strength and a great shot, just couldn't put it together in the NHL. I don't think his hockey IQ was all that high which prevented him from working effectively in the bottom 6. 

Personally, I was hoping to get Michael Dal Colle, and he turned out even worse at #5, and I wouldn't say that Sam Bennett was a homerun at #4, and Haydn Fleury was a bit of a disaster at #7. It's weird, those 4 - 7 picks all would have gone a LOT later in a redraft. There were some successes in there, Toronto has done well with Nylander, Ehlers has done well for Winnipeg and all those teams that passed on David Pastrnak before Boston took him at 25, including Vancouver passing on him twice!