The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

For what it's worth (which isn't much) I wasn't a fan of the signing in the first place. Some users like aGENT felt with Clark coaching him that he was poised for a comeback, which I was hopeful for but not at all confident. For a change, I was right. I'm going to revel in it for just a bit. I think Holtvy was OK. Not good, but decent for a backup behind a rather awful team last season.

Buying him out will cost us about the same over the 2 years as it would have to keep him around for his final year. Not exactly an ideal buyout, but it significantly helps for this coming season, which fits into Benning's surprise push to build a contender right now. Ownership must have deep pockets.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

For what it's worth (which isn't much) I wasn't a fan of the signing in the first place. Some users like aGENT felt with Clark coaching him that he was poised for a comeback, which I was hopeful for but not at all confident. For a change, I was right. I'm going to revel in it for just a bit. I think Holtvy was OK. Not good, but decent for a backup behind a rather awful team last season.

Buying him out will cost us about the same over the 2 years as it would have to keep him around for his final year. Not exactly an ideal buyout, but it significantly helps for this coming season, which fits into Benning's surprise push to build a contender right now. Ownership must have deep pockets.

He was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. A grizzled vet coming into a team who had been dismembered and gutted over the off season. Add that with his best days already behind him.

It was a decent experiment. Unfortunately it didnt work out, and that's gonna happen. Not all will work out.

At the end of the day I'm glad Holtby is gone. He was swiss cheese last year other than a handful of games. Demko has got this team on his back.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surprised that so many teams showed interest but clearly they wanted us to retain cap. 

To be honest I'd rather just keep Holtby for next season rather than buy him out. A buyout will basically still cost us 2M in cap space and we'll have to go find a UFA goalie who are mostly around 1-2M anyway. Unless JB has someone lined up who's fantastic for 1M, there's not really much point buying Holtby out.

You guys that agree with this are clueless.

Benning probably would have agreed to .500k retain (cost of buyout this season)  when no one took it Benning knew cap space next year would be plentiful so 1.9mill next year was nothing on the books. Good job Benning for not giving up assets when not needed. 

1 mill goalie saves this team millions this year and Deipitro is your cheap back up next season. 

Sign a 1.5 mill back up this season means real cost is 2.0 mill for a backup and next season MD at just under .900k means real cost for back up is 2.8 mill those are cheap numbers for a back-up considering your starter is making only 5 mill

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

So Canucks are to blame for JV's pathetic behaviour... rubbish...

Rubbish, good reply. And as of right now Schmidt's still a canuck

TERRIBLE, good lord wolfgang

• Thanks 1

It made sense as a security blanket for Demko.  Holtby was a total pro through some brutal times.  Wish him all the best.

I guess a 1.9 or whatever hit next year sucks but with the Luongo recapture off the books that helps negate Demko / Virtanen buyouts with a little extra. 

The usual penny pinchers are trying to lose their minds on Twitter but really it’s a relatively minor penalty as we let Demko take the reins.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Schmidt can remain as a Canuck. There is no urgency to move him. He is still a quality top 4 D 

Quality D but isn’t the right fit. We got too many puck moving D and need some more physical/defensive types to compliment them.  

He is the odd man out. If we want to be better we would have to replace him with a better fit. 

Deal might not happen anytime soon but I think it will this off-season.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Quality D but isn’t the right fit. We got too many puck moving D and need some more physical/defensive types to compliment them.  

He is the odd man out. If we want to be better we would have to replace him with a better fit. 

Besides, he doesnt wanna be here so he can go kick rocks

2 hours ago, khay said:

Agree. But mind if I ask why you think Rathbone or OJ will be gone for sure if Edler comes back?

Rotating them in and out and letting them compete for ice time might seem like a good idea towards developing two rookie defencemen. 

Waivers for OJ for one thing.   And Rathbone for sure ends up in the AHL as an injury replacement/ bench replacement because we wouldn't want him doing nothing.   Unless we shuffle some LHDs to the right side and that already includes Schmidt. 

47 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Which is weird because the Van media for a year kept ranting about the ownership letting people go, wants savings in player salary, and won't pay Travis Green and Ian Clark what they wish for because the owner is going broke. 

28 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Manson in ANA.   Perfect.   Sure only one year but if they took his salary and Schmidt, i'd for sure pull the trigger on that deal. 

32 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It made sense as a security blanket for Demko.  Holtby was a total pro through some brutal times.  Wish him all the best.

I guess a 1.9 or whatever hit next year sucks but with the Luongo recapture off the books that helps negate Demko / Virtanen buyouts with a little extra. 

The usual penny pinchers are trying to lose their minds on Twitter but really it’s a relatively minor penalty as we let Demko take the reins.

Yep.   People seem to not look around the league and see what other up and coming teams have done.   Both with retention on deals and what they've had to pay to dump cap.   JB master stroke IMO.   Best deal ever.   What he does next will cement his legacy.    And most of it will be looked back at this one deal for better or worse (OEL trade). 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha where's the many people who said that?

OEL and Garland add 6 and 5 year term to take over all the 1 year cap savings of trading Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel. Then whatever Dickinson is signed for will likely take up all or more of the Virtanen buyout. So even giving up the 9th OA pick didnt actually net the Canucks any cap to use toward EP and Hughes. 

The only way this wasnt happening is if they could trade him with no retention or lose him to Seattle. 

It seems to add about 1.5 to 2 mil to the pot after replacing Holtby. Hopefully its enough to avoid an offer sheet to EP.

Other than losing players, there is going to be limited cap for the next several years to make meaningful changes. So we need to hope he gets EP and Hughes signed and that everyone plays up to whers we need them to. Because this is now our team for at least 3 years.

what meaningful changes will we need, other than add our own prospects into the mix?

28 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Besides, he doesnt wanna be here so he can go kick rocks

Says who? Source? I have not seen or read 1 single quote from NS saying he wants out of Vancouver.  Please direct me to such statements as i may have missed it

IMHO its about freeing up as much cap space as possible 

2 hours ago, Kosatka said:

Jimbo gave him 2.9M in first year and 5.7M in second, it doesnt make any sense at his age... but Jimbo wanted Seattle to not take him, and now he was unable to get rid of that contract and had to buy it out... he has no idea what he is doing anymore if he ever had... 

Kosatka... sounds a lot like a word jumble for Squamfan