The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm also thinking Edler might circle back now that the team looks a lot better.   But doubt we pay him that much at his age.   And also doubt he's going to get that much in free agency.   Unless he goes to a desperate mediocre team.  Contenders (if Edler comes back it's also going to cost us one of Rathbone or OJ for sure) if he wants to win a cup then 750-1.5 in TB, Vegas. COL etc.    With the Sedins in house and OEL now i do think he might come back for a push this year.   Either way it will come at price. 

Agree. But mind if I ask why you think Rathbone or OJ will be gone for sure if Edler comes back?

Rotating them in and out and letting them compete for ice time might seem like a good idea towards developing two rookie defencemen. 

I'd rather keep Holtby than have dead cap, but I'd also rather buy him out than give up assets on top of retaining cap.

Clearly management has reasons for wanting cap, I'll wait and see what they do before passing judgment. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Does that really sound like Travis Green to you?

Point taken.

Edit: But we got a new guy Brad Shaw running the defence now. Maybe it will be different?

Edited by khay

Jimbo gave him 2.9M in first year and 5.7M in second, it doesnt make any sense at his age... but Jimbo wanted Seattle to not take him, and now he was unable to get rid of that contract and had to buy it out... he has no idea what he is doing anymore if he ever had... 

1 minute ago, Kosatka said:

Jimbo gave him 2.9M in first year and 5.7M in second, it doesnt make any sense at his age... but Jimbo wanted Seattle to not take him, and now he was unable to get rid of that contract and had to buy it out... he has no idea what he is doing anymore if he ever had... 

Actually they wanted Seattle to take him and structured the contract so it provided a better buy out structure incase they didn't. You're the one completely lacking a clue here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kosatka said:

complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain

• Haha 1

My guess is if Edler is back then Juolevi or Rathbone will be spending some more time in the AHL. Wouldn't be bad for them to get top time in the AHL, especially since our team is now in Abbotsford. However, I don't see how Edler is returning unless Schmidt is gone. We need RHD now more than anything.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic?

Edler - Juolevi / Rathbone

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Actually they wanted Seattle to take him and structured the contract so it provided a better buy out structure incase they didn't. You're the one completely lacking a clue here. 

Oh so he is signing 2 year deals with purpose of byuing them out and having a dead cap space, thats even smarter... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kosatka said:

Oh so he is signing 2 year deals with purpose of byuing them out and having a dead cap space, thats even smarter... 

They needed a veteran goalie eligible for the expansion draft and as an option if Demko faltered.  Again you just can't seem to grasp the situation. 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Well, sad as it is, Holtby was pretty brutal overall last year and even if we're paying more, a decent backup might be nice.

Sign an inferior (though the way Holtby played, it wouldn't be that much a downgrade) on a cheap contract.  Spend the difference on a depth defenseman (and/or re-sign Hamonic).  Team will be better off overall (as that depth guy would be used or be able to be used when the future Vezina candidate Demko is in net for the clear majority of the starts).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I think this off-season is about admitting some mistakes and moving on.  Learning.    Beagle, Roussel, LE, Virtanen, Holtby -- even Schmidt and Edler to some extent -- not in the future, probably all mistakes, tbh, at least for last year.  Moving on.  For a lot of us who saw most of the UFA signings as risky and Benning's asset management as his major weakness, this kind of says it all. To all the advocates of role players like Beagle, grit guys like Roussel, name brand goalies on off years, older D with "experience" (Edler) and overall love of the UFA system, this is a hint that the world has changed or was never quite as some saw it.  Amazing to think that Benning is still in charge, as this year's decisions would all have been made by a new management group lol.  Maybe he's learning, never too late. 

That main metric that isn't considered with this post, is how a GM isn't in a position of power with UFAs when they use the metric of trying to compete while their core develops - or in layman's terms, your team sucks and to get these guys you're going to have to overpay.   One thing that some don't understand either is when MG was here we were the 7th LEAST taxed in the league.   Now we are with MTL, OTT and TO as the MOST taxed in the league.  34.6%-53% is a massive difference in the bottom line.   That for sure also played into it.   Pearson at 3.25 ... is actually really well done.    Hopefully other players want to be here.   Can understand financially why they don't though.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't like the offsetting of 1.9 million cap into the following season - they should have the option, imo, of taking the 1.9 million cap towards this season and 50k towards the following - then I'd be in full favour of this.

I'm guessing they did this, though, because they have an alternative in the works that they like more.

I want Laurent Brossoit - have liked him for a long time (even when he was a Coiler / uptick fantasy target) - he'd be a solid add imo.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

God it would be nice to go into just one season without dead cap on the books. 

I’m fine with it. We need to sort out deals now and tough decisions have to be made. That doesn’t mean they were bad signings every time. Demko was far from a proven starter last year and took the job from Holtby who was clearly more of a starter last year when the season started.

Big money moves for sure but I seriously doubt owners are pissed. I and many others have been around big business deals and if a person in charge makes owners the CEO pissed, they are out. I’m sure there is an understanding there and sometimes deals dont pan out. It’s nor like it is a new thing to GMs or owners. They understand the business well enough.

Without a cap, we’d have Holtby here next fall but the reality is this and teams have to adjust to it and they have. JB has done equally good and bad moves as the others around the league. He has my support even if that makes absolutely no difference here.

• Cheers 1