The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They traded 2 of their best players.  They are nothing but a dumping ground for other teams cap dumps.  Arizona is the biggest joke in the league right now.  Eriksson might crack their top 9.  Worst run club in all of hockey.  Threw away a 1st round pick as well for nothing.  

Same argument as Tas (same person or know each other ?) - so given the context of my respond to him and my question: did both teams take same amount of risk ? 

Yotes wasn’t going to get the best out of two unhappy players; and I would argue, that Keller is (at the very least) there best player. 

I agree, the Yotes is obviously a Bettman team cause the mismanagements on local level is ridiculous 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

20 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks had 6 overpaid guys just a week ago. Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel, Edler and Holtby. Plus, Virtanen. Would you rather they kept them too?

They had one year left. S letting them leave after the season would have been fine. This team isnt a true contender this year anyway even with the new additions. Because the D is really not good defensively. The replacements are 6 and 5 years. Better hope OEL finds a way to fundamentally change his game to become what Benning thinks he is. Because by all accounts he wasnt a top pairing shut down guy the last 3 years in Arizona. Even when on the 2nd pairing last year against weaker competition he was a net negative defensively even vs his teammates. The plan seems to be the Toronto plan of winning games 6-5. We see how well that works for Toronto come playoff time.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

It's too bad J.B. shoots himself in the foot again. He has a great hockey mind. If only he can stop wasting the cap space over and over again he would be a great G.M. It's sad. 

He wastes cap because he doesnt actually have a great hockey mind and is now forced to go all in this year to save his job.

6 hours ago, b3. said:

Yuck - this is really not ideal.

No. Agreed, not ideal at all.

Apparently the cost in cap hit is we get nailed only $500K against the cap instead of $3.8mill this year.  Then $1.9mill next. Actual dollars $1.9mill this in liu of the $5.7mill he would have been owed. Which is actually a massive savings in a down revenue year. Then a balance of $1.9mill next at a dead loss. 

image.thumb.png.35e6d46377a9ad216ec08a3e25daaaf5.png

Working these numbers; I can see why we did it.  $3.8mill less actual dollars this year, $3.3mill extra cap.  I suspect we will sign a goalie well less than $3.3.

A bad message & high cost! Might be harder to recruit UFA's when we bail on them. And by term we will have paid $5.7mill to have had Holtby play one bad year!

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is not a cup winning roster. Still need a true top pairing right side D and any top 4 that can be a shutdown type. A top 4 of OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers might just be among the worst overall top 4 D in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck. That will take a big chunk of cap to do it right. Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc will all need new contracts soon. Those will undoubtedly be raises, especially if EP and Hughes hit big money on these contracts.

This team has about a 2 year window to be competitive as constructed. Then big changes will need to be made yet again. And several contracts will again be anchors.

We still have overpaid ~30 year old guys who arent worth their cap hit and especially term. Pearson, OEL, Schmidt, Myers. 

Benning is going for it and I understand why. He needs the playoffs this year to save his job. But the long term will very possibly again be ugly for the Canucks as a result. One more rebuild year would have been a lower risk alternative. Using the cap space next offseason to go all in to be sustainably competitive.

this "save his job" stuff is pretty funny. Like no one else is interested in doing a good job. 

I'd like to swap out Nate for a better defensive right side guy, but I don't agree about the roster quality, its as good as what LA had. 

38 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Same argument as Tas (same person or know each other ?) - so given the context of my respond to him and my question: did both teams take same amount of risk ? 

Yotes wasn’t going to get the best out of two unhappy players; and I would argue, that Keller is (at the very least) there best player. 

I agree, the Yotes is obviously a Bettman team cause the mismanagements on local level is ridiculous 

Well I don't think Arizona took any risk.  They traded for 3 cap dumps.  After the year is over those players are gone.  They wanted a 1st round pick back and they got it by trading 2 of their better players.  Vancouver took all the risk with OEL's contract and now Garland's contract.  The difference is Benning is actually trying to make his team competitive while Arizona is just trying to stay afloat until Bettman finds them a new location.

So to answer your question directly No the teams did not take on the same amount of risk.  Arizona took on zero risk while Vancouver took on all of the risk.  High risk high reward.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this "save his job" stuff is pretty funny. Like no one else is interested in doing a good job. 

I'd like to swap out Nate for a better defensive right side guy, but I don't agree about the roster quality, its as good as what LA had. 

He has to get to the playoffs now if he wants to not get fired. He has basically said as much. 

If Benning had been fired there is much less chance a new GM would have gone all in on OEL. A new GM would have at least had this year to figure things out. Benning has had 7 years so must sacrifice the future cap situation for a win now season. There isno reason to trade short termcap dumps for a long term cap dump in any other scenario other than his feet are to the fire to (finally) win something.

The defense on this team has no one on the left or the right who would be able to play that hard matchup role at the level we need. OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers arent bad dmen, they just arent good enough defensively to be on a true shutdown pairing.

And any team who wins in the playoffs seems to have at least 1 if not a handful of guys who can.

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yup.. Nothin worse than an uneducated American insurrectionist.  

Every life and every person has a creator and a reason for being. One can be dull as a doorknob and God can still use you.  We could all use more beauty and patience with one another. 

Edited by Ms.Glitter

54 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They had one year left. S letting them leave after the season would have been fine. This team isnt a true contender this year anyway even with the new additions. Because the D is really not good defensively. The replacements are 6 and 5 years. Better hope OEL finds a way to fundamentally change his game to become what Benning thinks he is. Because by all accounts he wasnt a top pairing shut down guy the last 3 years in Arizona. Even when on the 2nd pairing last year against weaker competition he was a net negative defensively even vs his teammates. The plan seems to be the Toronto plan of winning games 6-5. We see how well that works for Toronto come playoff time.

Ask bo, miller etc how they feel about sacrificing a year of their prime to a losing season 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ask bo, miller etc how they feel about sacrificing a year of their prime to a losing season 

I don't understand. aren't these players just numbers on a spreadsheet? they're not actual human beings are they?

LMAO at everyone bitching and moaning - he was brought in to protect Demko in the Expansion Draft and was a better gamble at 2 years then Koskkinen has been in Edmonton. It didn't work out and I would rather buy him out then have to give away picks etc to move him. But you know its soooooo easy to be a GM in this league - anyone from CDC could do the job. just curious how many of the would be GMs on here have submitted their resumes for openings and got a call for an interview?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not only that - carrying deadweight like Loui and his contract had to suck for those guys actually trying to compete. And for those hating on OEL - let's revisit this in a year and see if you still complain. The guy is motivated and excited to be here. And don't forget we also ended up with Conor FREAKIN Garland :D

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has to get to the playoffs now if he wants to not get fired. He has basically said as much. 

If Benning had been fired there is much less chance a new GM would have gone all in on OEL. A new GM would have at least had this year to figure things out. Benning has had 7 years so must sacrifice the future cap situation for a win now season. There isno reason to trade short termcap dumps for a long term cap dump in any other scenario other than his feet are to the fire to (finally) win something.

The defense on this team has no one on the left or the right who would be able to play that hard matchup role at the level we need. OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, and Myers arent bad dmen, they just arent good enough defensively to be on a true shutdown pairing.

And any team who wins in the playoffs seems to have at least 1 if not a handful of guys who can.

well we got the money now, Amigo. Nate's off to the 'peg. 

6 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

LMAO at everyone bitching and moaning - he was brought in to protect Demko in the Expansion Draft and was a better gamble at 2 years then Koskkinen has been in Edmonton. It didn't work out and I would rather buy him out then have to give away picks etc to move him. But you know its soooooo easy to be a GM in this league - anyone from CDC could do the job. just curious how many of the would be GMs on here have submitted their resumes for openings and got a call for an interview?

You said it yourself it didn't work out, that warrants complaints from the fanbase.  If we cannot be critical of management when they screw up then tell me the purpose of the forum?  Oh is it tough being a GM?  No shizza, it's called accountability.  Ffs I'll take Squamfans negativity over this fluff bs, 'our GM can do no wrong Herpa derp.  Why don't you try it.'  CBJ's GM did a better rebuild in a weekend than Benning has for God knows how many years It's been but because me or you are not qualified to do the job we as canucks fans should just accept Benning's ineptness?

Just now, Tre Mac said:

You said it yourself it didn't work out, that warrants complaints from the fanbase.  If we cannot be critical of management when they screw up then tell me the purpose of the forum?  Oh is it tough being a GM?  No shizza, it's called accountability.  Ffs I'll take Squamfans negativity over this fluff bs, 'our GM can do no wrong Herpa derp.  Why don't you try it.'  CBJ's GM did a better rebuild in a weekend than Benning has for God knows how many years It's been but because me or you are not qualified to do the job we as canucks fans should just accept Benning's ineptness?

I have no issue being critical of a GM but to not give the guy credit when credit is due is what frustrates me man. He screwed up on some contracts and fixed them - the proposals and solutions offered by the armchair GMS on the site is what frustrates me. The thing some tend to not recognize is he is trying to build a team to win while our elite players are entering their prime - have a look over her in Albertabama and see what has been happening. The two best players in the league and they haven't been able to win a playoff series in how long and their cousins to the south same issue. I have ZERO issue with criticism but to not give him any credit when he addresses a need or fixes a mistake is what irks me.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He wastes cap because he doesnt actually have a great hockey mind and is now forced to go all in this year to save his job.

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Uhhhhh…. Might be a little early to make that kind of a claim. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The pieces we got now would not have been available next year regardless of whether we are a contender next season or not. If we are kn a year - still a win in my books.