The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

So Poolman comes here and plays to his contract you going to eat crow? Or Just pretend it never happend like KoS when we brought in 13 goal scorer 3rd liner JT Miller 

Again, reading comprehension:

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't love this deal but willing to reserve judgement. If he and Rathbone can find chemistry on the 3rd pair it'll look good.

And, from another post:

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

This isn't an Eriksson, Beagle, Gudbranson or Sbisa type contract where you know it's stupid from day 1. It's just that the price seems high based on the resume.

I just don't think he deserves the contract we gave him based on his resume so far (not what he's going to do). We could use some players, especially on defense, that are outplaying their contracts.

Think of it this way: If we gave Garland 8M, it's possible he plays up to his contract (who knows, PPG isn't out of the realm of possibility), but it would still be considered overpayment because nothing in his resume suggests he should get that much.

Yes I will admit, that even though I think this is overpayment, the "extra 33%" only equates to about 750k and one extra year, so it's nothing really to gripe about. But my original post wasn't at all aggressively negative. The usual suspects just had their bat signal go off because it wasn't a full out groveling at the feet of the leader.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Again, reading comprehension:

And, from another post:

I just don't think he deserves the contract we gave him based on his resume so far (not what he's going to do). We could use some players, especially on defense, that are outplaying their contracts.

Think of it this way: If we gave Garland 8M, it's possible he plays up to his contract (who knows, PPG isn't out of the realm of possibility), but it would still be considered overpayment because nothing in his resume suggests he should get that much.

Yes I will admit, that even though I think this is overpayment, the "extra 33%" only equates to about 750k and one extra year, so it's nothing really to gripe about. But my original post wasn't at all aggressively negative. The usual suspects just had their bat signal go off because it wasn't a full out groveling at the feet of the leader.

Maybe try dropping this garbage, and you’ll be received better, no? 

• Cheers 3

$2.5M per year for Poolman is not crazy.  He's not a flashy dman in the slightest and the analytics obviously don't look that favorable, but he was an important part of their D core.  Personally the additions of Dillon and Schmidt address an overall deficiency in their D core and between those two guys, I think Dillon is more of a Forbort/Poolman replacement whereas Schmidt brings an element of mobility on offense to their D core which has been lacking.  Morrisey and Demelo have not been bad in that regard, but if Schmidt is on his game, then he can at least compliment them in the top 6.  I therefore don't see Schmidt as a Poolman replacement for the Jets.

End of the day for the Canucks, the signings today place more emphasis on puck movement from the left side. If Myers, Harmonic and Poolman can provide at least league average passing and D coverage, then I think we should see improvement next season.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good to know. Thank you for the information. This makes me like the trade more.

Was he also instrumental in getting OEL? 

I doubt it regarding OEL considering it was known Benning went hard after him last year.

And that too does make me feel better about this signing, although it's of course wait and see with Shaw, as well.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Shaw worked in Columbus and St.Louis. He was instrumental in solidifying those defenses. 

I'm optimistic regarding Shaw. Although almost anything would be an improvement over our "chicken with their heads cut off'" strategy last season.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I'm optimistic regarding Shaw. Although almost anything would be an improvement over our "chicken with their heads cut off'" strategy last season.

BumGardener? Yeah, not a fan of his collapse and suffer system either. 

• Cheers 4

well it's not about his price. 2,5M is absolutly not a big deal, cap wise.
but, at 2.5M you have to play him, for 4 years. And there is the rub. He takes a regular spot on D and you may wonder if he worths it instead of a young/better target.   

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

You made a judgmental comment, then claimed to be willing to reserve judgment. I called you on it.

It wasn't about what he's going to do. It's about what he's done and what kind of contract that should have earned him. There's a difference.

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

You even evaded my point about you not knowing how Green intends to use him. You then double down on your judgment all the while claiming to withhold judgment. You are a liar and a hypocrite..

The bolded really has nothing to do with it; again, read my above comment.

And try to attack the opinion, not the person. We're all Canucks fans here, chill out.

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm guessing that you saw the term and amount of the contract went to a basic stats page and based your opinion on that. That seems like what all the other whiners in this thread did as well.

So because you disagree with me I'm uninformed? Couldn't I just say the same thing about you lol?

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

well it's not about his price. 2,5M is absolutly not a big deal, cap wise.
but, at 2.5M you have to play him, for 4 years. And there is is the rub. He takes a regular spot on D and you may wonder if he worths it instead of a young/better target.   

The only guy that he would stand in front of right now would be Jett Woo, but Schenn and Hamonic are only here for two years and Woo's definitely at least a year away if not two.  

All of our young d-men have been drafted this year or last year, and d-men take 3-4 years of development.  

From what I've seen/remember of Poolman, he was an average d-man for Winnipeg.  I do like the fact that he's 28, which is on the younger side in terms of defensemen.  A little confused myself with the length of the contract, but it does cover what will be his prime years 28-32.  Hopefully he pulls a Jeff Petry and just keeps on improving well into his 30s. 

Watched a fair few Winnipeg games over the past few years and while I think 2.5 is a smidge to much, I’m laughing at people who are like 1 point isn’t worth 2.5m contract.

We don’t need any more defenscemen who are points machines, we need steady D who can play a solid defensive game. 

Poolman is nothing spectacular and often you won’t know he is out on the ice, but he does play a decent positional D game and is solid defensively. 

you stick him with say rathbone and it allows him to be more aggressive, so while Poolman may not be great by himself his presence should allow his more offensive minded d partner time and space to play

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe try dropping this garbage, and you’ll be received better, no? 

You aggressively go after anyone who doesn’t post 100% positive comments… presumably to farm a few “likes” from the same tiny handful of other folks who seem to think they have some moral authority to control all the conversation on this forum.  

Most people don’t agree with you, so why don’t you try dropping that garbage and not pretend that your opinion has a single iota more validity than that of anyone else.

It is eminently reasonable to question the money and term for a guy with a limited resume and poor stats. 

That is entirely unrelated to how that player might end up working out for us and entirely unrelated to someone’s hope that the player turns out well for us.  We paid more for a guy than anyone was willing to, and seem to have paid for upside that we hope is there rather than paying for past performance and getting to benefit from the upside in terms of an efficient contract.

Most of the stories being written about this signing seem to agree with the folks questioning whether this is a good value signing.  Heck, literally while I was typing this, Squire Barnes was just on doing a hit calling the signing a “head scratcher” in regards to the term.

That is pretty decent evidence that posting similar thoughts isn’t “garbage”.  You not agreeing with something doesn’t make it garbage.  It is only pure ego and narcissism to have that mindset.  

You don’t know more than other posters here, no one voted you the arbitrator of what is posted.  Disagree with other takes, but the attempts to shout down and belittle other posters based just on your imagined self importance is just nonsense.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

Well aright then folks!! If the fans say it’s bad then it is. Have you even watched him play? From what I’ve seen he’s developing into a reliable defensive dman. Why are so many of you pissed? Let him play, then judge.

The rush to judgement is hilarious. Never seen him play…..but don’t like him

Now that Edler and a few others have departed, there’s a frenzied search for new whipping boys.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Welcome to Vancouver Tucker.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1