The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Sure and not necessarily. Overall I'm not unhappy with this signing in a vacuum, just think that it's about 33% too large both in terms of money and term.

I don't see how that or anything else I've posted here regarding Poolman is aggressively negative / worst-case scenario material.

Market decides money and term, sooner you understand it the sooner you’ll get over it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Sure and not necessarily. Overall I'm not unhappy with this signing in a vacuum, just think that it's about 33% too large both in terms of money and term.

I don't see how that or anything else I've posted here regarding Poolman is aggressively negative / worst-case scenario material.

thats probably accurate, and thats the bet Jim is making. If he can play on the 2nd pairing when needed and do well, and be solid on the PK I see this as rising to the contract amount. 

I'd like to know if Shaw had him as a guy to target. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Not sure why Benning is so in love with giving depth players term in free agency but it is what it is.

Don't love this deal but willing to reserve judgement. If he and Rathbone can find chemistry on the 3rd pair it'll look good.

You made a judgmental comment, then claimed to be willing to reserve judgment. I called you on it.

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

You should re-read my original post.

People here are so quick to jump on anything that isn't full-out pom-pom waving all reading comprehension and logic goes out the window.

Relax, and engage in discourse. It's supposed to be a discussion board, after all.

Let's look at the facts:

- 28 year-old with 120 NHL games

- Nothing about his traditional or advanced stats suggest he's very good

- Eye-test reports from Jets fans say that he's big with tools but may not have the toolbox; currently a depth player but perhaps a #4 ceiling

- He has been deployed in a role tougher than what he can handle; with easier minutes he may/should perform better

Tell me if anything above is inaccurate? I just don't see why a player like this deserves the contract we gave him.

But again - if he finds his groove here in the role we probably have set out for him (3rd pair / 2nd PK DFD) then he'll earn the contract.

This isn't an Eriksson, Beagle, Gudbranson or Sbisa type contract where you know it's stupid from day 1. It's just that the price seems high based on the resume.

You even evaded my point about you not knowing how Green intends to use him. You then double down on your judgment all the while claiming to withhold judgment. You are a liar and a hypocrite..

I'm guessing that you saw the term and amount of the contract went to a basic stats page and based your opinion on that. That seems like what all the other whiners in this thread did as well.

I don't expect an honest answer from you as seem unable to comprehend points being made.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Market decides money and term, sooner you understand it the sooner you’ll get over it. 

Smart investors make smart investments, they don't just throw money at whatever because other people are / are willing to if you don't.

Read the sig for more tips.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

That's literally what you and dazzle do the most ! :lol::lol::lol:

I get it from the Benning haters more than anyone else. And it is usually in response to you, Kanucks, AV And KoS to name a few getting called out for your BS. I’ll give you credit at least you don’t go all the way to posts months back like KoS did :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Smart investors make smart investments, they don't just throw money at whatever because other people are / are willing to if you don't.

Read the sig for more tips.

So Poolman comes here and plays to his contract you going to eat crow? Or Just pretend it never happend like KoS when we brought in 13 goal scorer 3rd liner JT Miller 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

So Poolman comes here and plays to his contract you going to eat crow? Or Just pretend it never happend like KoS when we brought in 13 goal scorer 3rd liner JT Miller 

They'll just move on to other whining points.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have no problem with Poolman as a bottom pairing guy. Not in love with the money or term, but he seems like the type of player that a winner should be playing on their bottom pair. 

My problem is the trickle down, or rather trickle up effect on the blueline. I'm sorry, but if Myers is on your top pairing, you're in trouble.

What's especially frustrating is seeing the blueline in such rough shape after the efforts Benning has gone through to improve the roster this offseason. We were so close to actually being in a position to do some damage, but with the blueline looking the way it does I just don't see it. We needed a legitimate top 4 to play alongside OEL, not an expensive bottom pairing guy that would force Myers into a top pairing position.

Is top pairing the right terminology for describing a d man’s role?  Maybe minutes played is a better fit?  We all love Cernak, right?  But he’s fourth in minutes played on TBay.  Clearly their top two guys are Hedman and Mcdonah.  I’d say we are going to see OEL, Myers, Petey, Hamonic, Poolman as guys taking on biggest minutes, but in different roles.  Hughes will get lots of PP, while OEL will get PK, but both their minutes will be similar.  Myers will see a lot of PK.  Poolman will see matchup minutes.  Hamonic might play 5 on 5 with Hughes, and PK.  It’s about minutes played, and the role the minutes cover.  Are our guys playing minutes that best suit their talents?  Sure looks like that is going to be what happens with this group of D.  Up to the coaches to put these guys into those roles, and make adjustments as needed.  But the group is very good.  

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How would Benning have acquired that?  The free agent pool wasn’t overflowing with options. Hamilton was probably not coming here. Seems like Savard had already made his mind up to return to Belle Provence. 

I could see a trade being the way to do it, but he used the biggest and best bargaining chip, the 9OA, to facilitate the trade that brought OEL here. 

I don't know. I don't have an answers as to what Benning could have done differently today. I just see a big issue with the defence, and I think it's going to cost us pretty significantly. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats probably accurate, and thats the bet Jim is making. If he can play on the 2nd pairing when needed and do well, and be solid on the PK I see this as rising to the contract amount. 

I'd like to know if Shaw had him as a guy to target. 

Shaw having a influence on this signing is interesting.

Any second pairing d man preforming well makes more than 2.5M IMO. I think there is a chance he can underperform or over preform in this contract. Will be interesting to see. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is top pairing the right terminology for describing a d man’s role?  Maybe minutes played is a better fit?  We all love Cernak, right?  But he’s fourth in minutes played on TBay.  Clearly their top two guys are Hedman and Mcdonah.  I’d say we are going to see OEL, Myers, Petey, Hamonic, Poolman as guys taking on biggest minutes, but in different roles.  Hughes will get lots of PP, while OEL will get PK, but both their minutes will be similar.  Myers will see a lot of PK.  Poolman will see matchup minutes.  Hamonic might play 5 on 5 with Hughes, and PK.  It’s about minutes played, and the role the minutes cover.  Are our guys playing minutes that best suit their talents?  Sure looks like that is going to be what happens with this group of D.  Up to the coaches to put these guys into those roles, and make adjustments as needed.  But the group is very good.  

Good post. 

The problem though is that you still need to have the right pieces to put into the right place, and I still don't think we have those pieces. Ideally speaking, I don't think Myers should be on anyone's first unit penalty kill. I don't know how successful Poolman will be at the matchup game in the long run. I don't know which of these guys other than maybe Hamonic is going to be able to prevent shots and smother out scoring chances. 

But we shall see.

I am so curious to see what the bidding war was like for Poolman!!  Did any teams offer at least $2M or JB was in panic mode to just offer more and close the deal ASAP?? Well,  let's just hope he'll have a bounce back year to prove doubters wrong!!