The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

What about him warrants 2.5 Mill a year...his stats seem less than ordinary I mean Schenn had better stats last year and we got him for under a million. To be honest I'm totally unfamiliar with Poolman so help me out class, did we overpay?

16 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

havent seen him play, dont know why he wasnt resigned in winnipeg but i do remember when he was coming out of college, teams were high on him

Clearly they wanted to overhaul their D after that brutal playoffs.

Schmidt, Dillon and Demelo in. They didn’t have the cap space for him. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm expecting a lot out of Shaw this year, that was a great addition. And I love that Ian Clark had a say in getting Halak. 

Yeah, the group effort approach to roster management that we are hearing, is a good direction for the team cause if a personnel leaves; and there is a solid system in place, things can still get done.

I agree, that the Shaw addition could potentially have the biggest overall impact - pressure is now on the staff; and good chance Shaw was probably consulted on the players.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

What about him warrants 2.5 Mill a year...his stats seem less than ordinary I mean Schenn had better stats last year and we got him for under a million. To be honest I'm totally unfamiliar with Poolman so help me out class, did we overpay?

Change ur username to…

“Moe Knows Nothing”

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

53 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know. I don't have an answers as to what Benning could have done differently today. I just see a big issue with the defence, and I think it's going to cost us pretty significantly. 

Fair enough. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

he's a ufa right shot defenceman who can give you a solid 18-20 minutes a night. it's what the market would bear.

what about a brand new pickup truck makes it worth $70000 or whatever? people are willing to pay it.  

Fair enough....I was just asking why 1 RH defenceman gets less then a mill and another 2.5 when their stats seem similar..maybe their was a bidding war..thanks

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I am so curious to see what the bidding war was like for Poolman!!  Did any teams offer at least $2M or JB was in panic mode to just offer more and close the deal ASAP?? Well,  let's just hope he'll have a bounce back year to prove doubters wrong!! 

12 teams were interested apparently. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Fair enough....I was just asking why 1 RH defenceman gets less then a mill and another 2.5 when their stats seem similar..maybe their was a bidding war..thanks

Schenn is 31 and played limited games and minutes on an elite team, while Poolman played 18 minutes a game on an underperforming Jets team.

The limited time Schenn played will skew some numbers in his favour for sure. Schenn is very reliable and smart in a small role whereas Poolman can eat up 15-20 minutes a night and not hurt you. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Schenn is 31 and played limited games and minutes on an elite team, while Poolman played 18 minutes a game on an underperforming Jets team.

The limited time Schenn played will skew some numbers in his favour for sure. Schenn is very reliable and smart in a small role whereas Poolman can eat up 15-20 minutes a night and not hurt you. 

I want you to be right about Poolman....I hope you are....looking forward to training camp and the battle for positions...

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Clearly they wanted to overhaul their D after that brutal playoffs.

Schmidt, Dillon and Demelo in. They didn’t have the cap space for him. 

DeMelo has played two playoffs for the Jets - was acquired in Feb 2020 - and then re-signed before last season for 4 years.

Not part of some reactive 'overhaul' after an allegedly brutal playoffs.  He was part of that playoffs.

They swept Edmonton - and then lost their #1 center after Scheifele took an unhinged run at Evans (when the 'brutal' part of their playoffs began = that one series).

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of people are looking at this like "Tucker Poolman? Never heard of him, so he must suck....."

Then they scramble off to the "advanced metrics" sites for some WAR numbers to (hopefully) back up their uninformed opinions.

I don't watch a lot of Jets games, unless they're playing the Canucks.....or if they're in the playoffs. I thought he looked okay in the playoffs and TBH, I didn't really notice him much against the 'Nucks....

For a defensive defenseman, I don't really think that's such a bad thing.

Best Poolman post of the day…Cheers man!

Cheers No Stylist GIF by French Montana

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I want you to be right about Poolman....I hope you are....looking forward to training camp and the battle for positions...

He can be an okay 6th guy .. not too sure why we signed him for 4 yrs.  There were guys avail that couldve been had for less.

Im wondering where Poolman fits if we have Schenn in

48 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

It is possible Benning got them mixed up while signing the entire league today

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

I hate to be a downer but it sounds like quantity over quality.  

I think if you substitute an upgrade in the mix for Hamonic, maybe it makes an entirely different impression.  Poolman, Schenn, Keeper - I'm quite happy with = quality depth imo - while still having Woo (and Bowey) in our system. 

Hamonic, we need to be considerably better - which is a possibility - he's had some very good seasons in his career, as recently as his second last season in Calgary.    But the guy Calgary acquired from the NYI (who threw 200 hits back in the day), we're unlikely to see again imo.